MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 09-12-13, 03:00
RIP

Default Iltis Recce version

I have seen a number of photos with various MGs mounted, mostly C6 G7.62 GPMG.
The original plan was to have a Recce version but I am unsure if this actually happened. Does anyone have info on this and on any MG mounts applied to the Iltis? So far I have seen a fixed mount on the roll bar, a passenger side mount on a post and an articulated mount on the rear deck which appears to be post-mounted and not attached to the roll bar.
Thnx,
Clive
Old 09-12-13, 03:21
carrier mech

The recce Iltis did not come to fruition. Perhaps the Conservative government of the time did not want to pretend they had supplied the reserves with a fighting vehicle.

There was also a proposed vice-regal Iltis. Not sure they ever went any further either.
Old 09-12-13, 03:38

Default Vice-regal Iltis

Wasn't that project replaced by a 2-1/2 Ton Tipper?

David
Old 09-12-13, 03:52
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post

There was also a proposed vice-regal Iltis. Not sure they ever went any further either.
The remaining M38A1s in the system demonstrate that the Iltis version never took off.

Any comments on the multiple MG mounts that seem to be around? Are they all local manufacture?
C
Old 09-12-13, 04:08
carrier mech

Either local manufacture or entered limited service when the army dragged the poor things to Afghanistan. Seems to me that subject has been covered before here on MLU with regard to the Afghanistan mounts.

I have seen some where the militia strapped C9s to the folded down windshield.

The lack of the recce Iltis may have had something to do with the change from C5A1 to C6 GPMG, which started in the late 80s. In the end, the reserves did not get one for one when it came to the MGs. By the time the last of the old C5A1s were withdrawn, the Iltis was soon to follow. I was last issued a Browning C5A1 here in Shilo around early 1997 if I recall correctly, but with a M113A2 and not a soft skin vehicle though.

The M38a1Cdn2 ceremonial Jeep is still used here in Shilo for change of Command parades.
Old 10-12-13, 04:08
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
The word on the street in Ottawa, is during the technical concept tests, the mounts kept on bending the body frame of the Iltis when mounted on the pax side.
Hmmm, never heard of that happening on a Jeep in over 15 years of service use. In fact I still use the mount on my Jeep for it's intended purpose, albeit semi-automatic. Still no problems to report as the Jeep nears 50.
Old 10-12-13, 05:30
Anthony Sewards

Default RECCE Iltis

We used the Iltis is RHQ RECCE when we were not in the Lynx, there was never a mount, we just added sandbags with the ground mount (bi pod) on it. Some used the "dog leg" from the Lynx C & R mounted on a pole.

The only true RECCE Iltis was in 2002, when in Kandahar the Iltis was fitted with a Coyote Ack Ack mount, fitted with a C6 GPMG.

Anthony
Old 10-12-13, 16:59
Anthony Sewards

Here is a photo from 2002, the TOW Iltis fitted with one of our Ack Ack Mounts taken from the Coyote's.
Attached Thumbnails
volkswagen_iltis_l7%20(Small).jpg  
Old 10-12-13, 20:57
Anthony Sewards

The Iltis deployed with both front seats the other seat came from the rear, as they were never really used as TOW jeeps most of the mounts were taken off. They were used as a rover mostly. The Mg mounts were fitted just before operation Grey Husky if I remember correct . At the end of our tour they had to be given back to our Coyote's.

Anthony
Old 10-12-13, 21:00
Terry Warner

Stuart:

Don't overthink things. Maybe you never had to redistribute section stores for a footpatrol. Just like any other patrol, there will always be another vehicle in the order of march to carry the rest of the mission equipment.

FWIW, I remember a Reg Force advisor (RSS) Capt at my unit who carried around a length of 2" steel angle iron that clipped on the M38A1 windshield hinge and hold-downs clamps to support an FN C2. He had a post and spigot affair that hose clamped to the barrel so the passenger could fire over the hood.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-12-13, 22:28
MUTT Guy

I should dig up some photos of the "Mad Max" Zettlemeyer we had (and lost) on TF 3-06. Think hasty "up armoured", Armoured Front End Loader.
Same goes for the Mamba I drove in Bosnia. Anything we could think of was locally built, bolted on and then removed at the end of the Roto only to be repeated by the next Roto.
Point being is that any publication including that CFTO was treated as a "guideline" during the majority of TFA, especially the early years.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the EOD guys had at one point plumbed MLVW horns to their Bisons only to be removed by the Mechs. A few months later, sure enough, the Mechs had an MLVW horn on their Buffalo.

Last edited by Scott Bentley; 10-12-13 at 22:33.
Old 10-12-13, 22:44
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bentley View Post

EDIT: Come to think of it, the EOD guys had at one point plumbed MLVW horns to their Bisons only to be removed by the Mechs. A few months later, sure enough, the Mechs had an MLVW horn on their Buffalo.
Those darn mechs.
Old 11-12-13, 00:51
Terry Warner

Default Blue 6x6 Iltis

Good Lord Stuart! Do you dislike your friends that much? Pass the eye-bleach please.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 11-12-13, 02:10

Default Recce Iltis

Thanks for all the nice pictures guys.

It is a reminder of younger days for me .

I did some Recce work in Gagetown for the Militia in the 80's on Milcon and we did'nt have any MG mounts if i recall.

We just dropped the windshield, installed the wire cutter/ catcher and off we went.

Same thing for the LDSH in Suffield in 91 , no MG mounts. They were using the Cougars for armored Recce so the Iltis were used for liaison .

Good thread.

Thanks.

Bob
94 LSVW
Old 11-12-13, 06:30
Anthony Sewards

Most of the Mg mounted photos are not Canadian Iltis , but nice to see.

We still had Lynx's back in 91, we lost them in 93/94.

In regards to the TOW Iltis, back in 2002 there were only a few taken over, the RECCE guys were issued armoured Hummers, and the Iltis were used as runners. All the Tow carriers were fitted with the extra front seat as a temporary modification for the operation grey husky. The regular Iltis that were taken over had an extra jerry can rack that could fit three jerry cans on the rear end.

Anthony
Attached Images

Old 11-12-13, 23:59
RIP

Quote:
There was a technical paper written for the MGs mounts for the Iltis. For those who have access to the DWAN, you can look up the document name in the technical documents list. Search for <Iltis>. Unfortunately this document is not in a PDF, but the original hard text is housed at one of the technical library. Perhaps an ATIP request would shed light on this.
1 - Can anyone get a copy of this for me as I don't have DWAN access?
2 - What was Op 'Grey Husky'

Some very useful information in this thread. Thanks.
C
Old 12-12-13, 03:40
Anthony Sewards

Grey Husky:

Zobol Province: Between June 30, 2002, and July 4, 2002, most of the 3 PPCLI Battle Group with RECCE SQN of the strathcona's were deployed in Zobol Province, about 100 km northeast of Kandahar, to establish a coalition presence there for the first time. During this deployment, the Canadians and the Afghan National Army conducted a sweep operation in the Shin Key Valley that produced information about recent Al Qaeda and Taliban activities. The RECCE SQN deployed to Qalat and stayed at the castle remains from time of Alexander the Great. We then conducted operations of patrols and surveillance.

Anthony
Old 21-12-13, 18:12
aut viam inveniam aut fac

just curious, although the Iltis is a nice little runabout for those of us who now drive them on the road...
I wonder if in the field, they weren`t rather underpowered when fully loaded with three guys, guns ammo etc etc and radios
Old 21-12-13, 18:37
carrier mech

The "underpowered" was mostly due to it's gearing. It was geared for the highway, and could do 70. But if you put it into sand, even with the diff locked up, it would bog down. In all honesty the M151A2 was only marginally better. The Willys, with it's 5:38 gearing was the best, but would only do 60 (give or take) on the highway and drank fuel like a sailor.

Military use was 90% highway and 10% off road. Of that offroad, there was not a need to climb a lot of sandhills. There was a lot of desire to, but not a lot of need.