MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 09-09-07, 05:03

Default One UN-Lucky Shot

I had this emailed to me by a friend.

This guy is extremly lucky. It seems he was using a 50cal Sniper rifle and shooting at a metal plate 100 yards away. It looks like the plate is securly fixed.

Anyway it only takes less then 2 seconds for him to fall over.

My other thought is what are the chances the bad guys have a metal plate in their head.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-09-07, 08:08

That man is one lucky Hombre If that projectile was a couple inches over he'd be dead. I showed my son the clip as it makes for a good warning in the use of firearm safety especially when blinking at hard targets. I've always wondered how many men have fallen in combat due to ricochets. My grandfather was camped somewhere just outside London during the Bombing Blitz, he brought home bits of shrapnel and spent bullets which he said were falling around them after a big raid. I remember him also commenting on shell cases raining down during dog fights over head. You wouldn't want to be knocked down on the ground by one of your own fighter planes would you!!!
Old 07-10-07, 15:50
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: One UN-Lucky Shot

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
I had this emailed to me by a friend.

This guy is extremly lucky. It seems he was using a 50cal Sniper rifle and shooting at a metal plate 100 yards away. It looks like the plate is securly fixed.

Anyway it only takes less then 2 seconds for him to fall over.

My other thought is what are the chances the bad guys have a metal plate in their head.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0
Jordan..
I have fired thousands of rounds 100-500 meters at silloette steel plates and never have seen anything like that...That is one luckey dude...betcha his knickers were due for a change after that one..
I guess I better hide my buddy before hunting season....

http://bp1.blogger.com/_UiaUaLMg7gU/...h/sem60_33.jpg

Old 07-10-07, 23:37

Interesting comment on the shell cases raining down, when i left school in 1960 i worked on a few local farms on the Romney Marsh and often used to discuss with some of the old guys who were retaind for farm work in WW2 the problems they faced from strafing aircraft and the many dog fights going on high above there heads. Remember this was front line the french coast being only 20 to 30 miles away a few minutes for fast fighter planes, the fields around are all well exposed and the only cover of sorts were the ditches surrounding some of the fields but even they were no help from falling spent ammo cases. We often came across some during the working day, the most frightning story was during 1943 a returning bomber in trouble with engine burning suddenly blew up above them scattering parts all over the place and a fighter that nosed dived in to a bank at 40 acre farm. The story as told was they managed to get a crane on the tail but as they dug the wreckage just sank deeper and they lost both pilot and plane
Les
Old 08-10-07, 09:14

Default Shell cases.

As a child I lived under the flight path for the German bombers on their way to bomb Coventry, they used to fly over our village for hours at night, and were chased by the R.A.F back the way they had come, we used to walk around in the fields all around our village and pick up 20mm empty cannon cases, and lots of thin strips of alumium foil hanging from trees and bushes dropped by the bombers to try to confuse the radar we often saw dog fights over head, and a couple of bombers were shot down about a mile from my house, all very excitinf for a small boy
Ron,
Old 08-10-07, 18:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Speaking to a Veteran 3.7in AA Gunner a couple of years ago and he mentioned that the need for the Civil population to head for shelters was not due to the threat of enemy bombs, but to the risks posed by falling spent ordnance, such as 20mm cases, 20mm projectiles, shrapnel from both 40mm and 3.7in AA shells and the odd aircraft part falling to earth.

A 3.7in AA gun fires 40 rounds per minute, each projectile weighing 28lbs 1 oz (12.75kg) with 1lb 14oz (1010g) of TNT. Or in other words, ONE AA Gun will put 1033lbs or 470kg of hot steel splinters up into the sky PER MINUTE! A battery of 4 guns firing for just 5 minutes during an air raid will throw nearly 9.5 tons of steel up into the sky. What goes up, must come down.
Attached Images