MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-07, 17:46
Derek Heuring

Default Possible early ARK?

Firstly, let me thank Wim Sikkelbein for the help in converting a large Word file to a small jpeg, if that is what this is! I was surfing the net looking for pictures of Bailey bridges when I came upon this most interesting pic. It appears someone loaded an A9 Mark 1 Cruiser tank onto the back of a WW I Mark IV tank. The Mk. IV tank looks to be modified from a "Female", or possible "Hermaphrodite" tank by the addition of a rear ramp and jib boom at the front. The tanks are thence driven onto a Bailey bridge in what appears to be some sort of demonstration, judging by the interest shown by the onlookers. What isn't apparent is the subject of this demonstration...using the Mk. IV as an ARK, or that the bailey is capable of handling the width and weight of the two tanks, or something else. It's an intriguing picture. I can't see a Mk. IV tank being used operationally in WW II with it's limited range (22 miles) and speed (3.7 mph). The Cruiser tank was developed in 1938 and I'm surprised to see a Mk. IV being used at that late date. Any info and comments appreciated regarding this picture. I hope you all enjoy this pic. Derek.

Last edited by sapper740; 09-03-07 at 17:59.
Old 09-03-07, 17:55
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Possible early ARK?

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Firstly, let me thank Wim Sikkelbein for the help in converting a large Word file to a small jpeg, if that is what this is! I was surfing the net looking for pictures of Bailey bridges when I came upon this most interesting pic. It appears someone loaded an A9 Mark 1 Cruiser tank onto the back of a WW I Mark IV tank. The Mk. IV tank looks to be modified from a "Female", or possible "Hermaphrodite" tank by the addition of a rear ramp and jib boom at the front. The tanks are thence driven onto a Bailey bridge in what appears to be some sort of demonstration, judging by the interest shown by the onlookers. What isn't apparent is the subject of this demonstration...using the Mk. IV as an ARK, or that the bailey is capable of handling the width and weight of the two tanks, or something else. It's an intriguing picture. I can't see a Mk. IV tank being used operationally in WW II with it's limited range (22 miles) and speed (3.7 mph). The Cruiser tank was developed in 1938 and I'm surprised to see a Mk. IV being used at that late date. Any info and commebts appreciated regarding this picture. I hope you all enjoy this pic. Derek.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-07, 21:17

Hi Derek,

Definitely not a Mark IV, we have one standing in my home town, been there since 1919, so familiar with it.

It looks to be a Mark V**, but still an unusual photo.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 09-03-07, 23:52
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Hi Derek,

Definitely not a Mark IV, we have one standing in my home town, been there since 1919, so familiar with it.

It looks to be a Mark V**, but still an unusual photo.
Richard, I have to agree with you regarding the lower tank's designation. After having a long, second look, its too long to be a Mark IV most probably a Mark V* or Mark V**. definitely an interesting photo, would love if someone had a little info regarding it.
Old 29-03-07, 17:12

Default Bailey testing

The picture is from the book One More River to Cross by JH Joiner. The picture is simply a static overload weight test exercise on a prototype bailey bridge. The lower tank is a MkV** Bridgelayer!!! with an SBG assault bridge placed behind allowing the cruiser tank to drive on top. I think Mr Baileys head is in the foreground.
Attached Images

Old 29-03-07, 23:41
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default ERRGGHH

Some of you lot know way too much about way too much. Especially you bloody sappers. Stop this at once before you embarrass the rest of us.
Old 30-03-07, 00:49
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Bailey testing

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ramsden
The picture is from the book One More River to Cross by JH Joiner. The picture is simply a static overload weight test exercise on a prototype bailey bridge. The lower tank is a MkV** Bridgelayer!!! with an SBG assault bridge placed behind allowing the cruiser tank to drive on top. I think Mr Baileys head is in the foreground.
Thanks Paul! I knew someone out there in M. L. U. land would know the story behind this unique picture. That's a pretty good load as the Cruiser tank is 12 tons and the Mk V** is around 33 tons before the addition of the box girder bridge and other paraphenalia. Derek.
Old 30-03-07, 00:52
Derek Heuring

Default Re: ERRGGHH

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Some of you lot know way too much about way too much. Especially you bloody sappers. Stop this at once before you embarrass the rest of us.
Yesterday, I was a simple civilian...today I R Hungineer!