MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-17, 21:02

Default slack track and removal

Hi folks, I finally had the chance to take Lance's Mk2 carrier out for a day on the field tactical range for the WW2 event at Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA.

All in all, the carrier performed well.

Some things I noted to be fixed is a rich-running carb, Hard to start, but runs well after starting. (had to use some judicious amounts of starting either) And the charging circket (6 volts) isn't keeping up.

On the drive back from the range, stupid me ran out of gas. In all the years and three other carriers on those ranges, we have never burned through a full tank. 10 more minutes and we would have been back to the rally point to load.

Any ideas on the above?

But the main question is the tracks. When we got her, the adjustment was all the way to the front stop. that is, couldn't tighten it any more.
See the pictures. That is with the front wheels back all the way to the rear.

The left side has 165 links and the right side 164.

Could some old hands give me an estimate on how many links to take out based on the appearance? I have no helping hands here for weeks, and I would like to not do it link at a time.

Also, the tracks have many pins put in from the outside in, and risk drifting out. I will remove all the replacement pins and check them, then re-install from the inside out and fresh cotter pins.

Any suggesting s are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0775.jpg  
Old 03-04-17, 22:06

Hi Jim

My one was similar but not quite so slack after it's initial running, I removed two links and it's good now. I'd suggest two and some tightening of the front adjuster or three and it may need much less tension on the front adjuster wheel.

My 2p worth.

Ben
Old 03-04-17, 22:26
carrier mech

Ive always found two will do the trick. Although an original track jack will work fine, you risk damaging a very expensive accessory. Get the track jack off a M113 carrier and grind the fingers small enough to work with the universal carrier track. Lots of those on ebay. Perfect for pulling and reversing the one or two pins at a time.

If you have the zenith carb, there is a site that sells the rebuild kits including for the carbs with the governor. I don't have my manuals at home here, but if you google the model number of the carb, it should come up.
Old 03-04-17, 23:34

Thanks Rob!

I have one of those heavy track jacks and used that on my first carrier and a friends.Z Worked well, but heavy as hell to hold in position while ratcheting.Z

I have a chain binder with the horns trimmed to fit the tracks. Use a wrench to tighten or loosen the turnbuckle nut.

Figured I can find a carb for it... maybe not the right one with the govenor, but workable.

Have to take a close look at the carb tonight after work, and then do some googling. Treadwell Carbs in New York did a great job on my first carrier carb.

http://www.carbsandkits.com/tc/treadwell.html Don't let the website fool you... they are Carb guys, not webmasters...
Old 04-04-17, 02:21

A link represents 1.75 inch. If both of your track adjuster wheels are in the fully forward position, leaving no room what-so-ever to tighten the tracks, back them off fully. Their travel represents greater than one full link.

If you can break both tracks into at least three sections, more may be necessary . . . then swap them about between a portion from the left with the right until they measure within one inch overall length laying flat and pulled tight. You may be able to address the 165-164 imbalance you currently have.

If I were in your boots, I would place the track adjuster bracket fully to the rear, and remove three links per side. You will likely need a track jack type tool to reattach the track, but you will be good to go for a few more miles before the correct four inch sag appears between the return roller and sprocket.

Now you will also have greater than one track link adjustment to play with.
Old 04-04-17, 08:00
Bluebell

Jim, you probably already know this, but for the benefit of others, you break the track between the sprocket and the rear bogie wheel.
If the tracks are not even, the carrier "walks" to one side and you need to continually correct as you drive.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 04-04-17, 11:55

Jim, a very easy way is to Put your idler tensioner wheel in the minimum position, Fit your track winch, split the track where Lynn said.( Between bottom of sprocket and rear bogie) then simply tighten your winch and let the track overlap until you get the amount of tension you want, then just remove the excess track and rejoin. Count your links and do the same to the other side.
Hope this helps.
Colin.
Old 04-04-17, 15:49
Driver Advance!

Thanks for everyone's input, with me overseas I can't help him at this time..
43 Humber AC MK IV F133744 "Vandal" tri-owner
43 A27L Centaur MK III T185481

Last edited by lssah2025; 04-04-17 at 16:19.