MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-04-17, 12:04
Palms

Default Introduction - Mark Dockrill

Hi all,

Well it’s time to introduce myself to the forum. I am the proud owner of a C60L in good original condition. It’s been a long time coming but I'm finally getting stuck into its restoration. One of the reasons to write this introduction is to thank all the contributors here. This is my first Blitz restoration so the information is just gold! It makes the job so much easier and enjoyable. Although I was not in a position to work on the truck for a number of years, it was always uplifting logging on every few days and see what the members were up to. What an amazing hobby! Anyway, if I can help anybody out please ask.

My trucks details are:
Chev C60L, Holden drop side tray
November 1944 build.
Attached Thumbnails
general_pics 482.jpg   general_pics 474.jpg   general_pics 455.jpg   july_2011 457.jpg  
Old 15-04-17, 22:02

Belated welcome Mark (I see you have been a MLU Member for a little while) that is a mighty fine looking truck!
Rich.
Old 16-04-17, 12:29

Mark, that looks like a very, very, straight and complete truck. Well done on finding this nice truck. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Alex
Old 16-04-17, 14:15

Default Welcome to the fun

Hi Mark

Great to see another CMP being restored, looks like you have a very good starting point. Is the truck in or near good running condition? Which ever restoration route you decide on, full safety overhaul to get it driving on the road and enjoying, or full restoration, take lots and lots of photos.

Are the canvas doors original design if so lots of photos please, this may be a route for those restoring a CMPs that are missing the doors.

Glad you have enjoyed reading MLU and thanks for the kind words MLU for contributors, that's what MLU is all about sharing knowledge.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 16-04-17, 14:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nice

What a pity the RAAF vehicle census records have been lost . That truck looks as original as it was when it possibly left the Tottenham surplus sales yards in 1960 ! And it's a Chev as well ! That would be post war livery - blue ? Up to you but it would be nice to see it kept in its present unrestored state and do the mechanicals , brakes and so on and drive it .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-04-17, 12:25
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Nice

What an excellent starting point you have there Mark!
That vehicke isn't ex Griffith NSW by any chance is it?
Cheers
H
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 17-04-17, 17:08

Default Canvas doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Are the canvas doors original design if so lots of photos please, this may be a route for those restoring a CMPs that are missing the doors.
Only if they are restoring an Australian-built CMP. The demountable canvas doors are unique to 1944+ Australian production CMPs, as are the side curtains that fitted them.

Mark: the registration appears to be 208276, which was a 'Truck, Heavy, GS, Dropsides', Chevrolet C60L, chassis number 38443M64030, delivered 6 December 1944, disposed of on 24 February 1955. The 'M' indicates the vehicle was assembled at GMH Fishermen's Bend Plant (M = Melbourne). Nice truck, by the way, and in post-war RAAF livery, too. You'll probably find Khaki Green No.3 under the blue paint, but by that late stage of the war, I doubt you'll find a camouflage pattern, (but would be happy to be proved wrong on that assumption!)

Mike K: If only RAAF Historical had taken more notice of my recommendation in late 1994 to transfer the registers to the AWM, to reside with the Army registers that have all lately been made available on-line. Instead, the reply (from RAAF Logistics Management Unit in Feb 1995 - I still have the letter) was that they were to be housed at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook, and were transferred there later that year. According to the museum librarian in about 2001 when I visited, they were recalled some years later by RAAF Logistics, (much to her annoyance), and have not been seen since. The letter I recd in February 1995 in part states '...the advantage of this facility is that the records would retain their Air Force identity and still be available for research purposes.'

Hmmmmm......

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 17-04-17 at 19:50.
Old 19-04-17, 05:18
Palms

Default Background

Hi guys,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I’ll start a thread on the truck’s restoration shortly.

Phil, I’ve attached a few photos of the doors, if I can help anybody out on that front please ping me. But as Mike mentioned they are an Australian variant.

Howard, in answer to your question I bought the truck in Casterton, Victoria. It had Victorian registration up to 1976 so I don’t think it came from Griffith, but who knows?

When I saw the truck I just had to buy it! It was running, but the brakes were shot. Still had 1944 tyres, low mileage and amazingly complete. My restoration goal is to keep it as is, a 1960’s ex-military truck in civilian service. Full mechanical overhaul, but leave the patina alone. Keep the original 216, 6 volts electrics, etc.

Mike, thank you for the information, I did not know the delivery and disposal dates for the truck. The chassis number is correct. Interestingly the build date on the ID plate is 28 November 1944, looks like the RAAF took delivery a week later. Also, you are correct there is green paint under the blue. When did the RAAF start painting their trucks blue?

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
mlu1.jpg   mlu2.jpg  
Old 19-04-17, 08:17
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default doors

Those canvas doors and curtains are ideal patterns for anybody making repro examples
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad