MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 07-01-17, 19:17
Greg Johnson

Default Authentic stencilling

Just wondering how the paint over a stencil would have been applied in 1954. I assume aerosol paint didn't exist. Would it have been done with a compressor and spray gun or a brush or roller?
Old 07-01-17, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Johnson View Post
Just wondering how the paint over a stencil would have been applied in 1954. I assume aerosol paint didn't exist. Would it have been done with a compressor and spray gun or a brush or roller?
Greg,
There was such a thing as a stencil brush, a stubby round end brush with stiff short bristles and you dabbed the paint on.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 16-01-17, 02:58

Greg,i had wondered that as well so i made contact with a vet who had stenciled alot of units back in the day..Richard is correct,they did use a stencil brush as he described..i was told by the old boy to let the paint stand a while b4 applying.this allows it to thicken up,less chance of it running and less layers to apply.

Christian.
52 m38CDN
53 M100
43 WLC
Old 16-01-17, 06:37

A shaving brush does a very similar job
Old 16-01-17, 17:33

Try a Michaels or other big box arts and crafts store. They have a full on stencil department. Of course it is mostly for interior decorating, but you can get a wide range of letters in fonts and sizes, and clear sheets to make your own stencils.
Old 16-01-17, 17:55
carrier mech

Also I would suggest signpainter's paint. It dries quickly and with less runs, and is meant for this kind of work. Here at the museum we use this brand: http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/index.aspx
Old 16-01-17, 19:51

In the early 1980's we used large sponges very successfully during the "paint the Squadron 's light armour over the weekend chaps" events.

100-odd soldiers and we'd be done in a day. Three Troops of Lynx. With the Queen Mary's,ARV, Amb and Assault Troop's M113s, we'd paint around 30 vehicles ourselves. Coveralls, issue gloves and handkerchiefs were our protection. paper masks if we were lucky!!

A production line of soldiers doing hand and air hose external cleaning, applying grease over lights, episcopes, AMU contacts etc (tape was a luxury), drive along to black, dark and light green official army-issue paint stations (cheap messy paint guns and crappy compressors) then out for drying and marking. Call signs, tac signs, CFRs, bridge class and national flag were all done by stencil.

Light dabbing in layers with a chance to dry a bit each time provide less chances of runs. Best job of the lot too. Smart Troopers ended up there.

Good times!!

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 16-01-17 at 19:59.
Old 16-01-17, 22:52

Default Squadron Paint day

Don't forget the super accurate chalked on lines denoting the cam pattern. All exactly to the official issued documentation. And stencils so carefully measured to ensure markings were exactly centered and perpendicular to the planet. Markings were dappled on with sponges using paint from the can and touched up later with a brush if required. Runs were just wiped off with a rag.

Tools, straps and anything you could remove was removed but periscopes, lenses on lights and just the contact surface of the amu's were covered in axle grease without too much care.

Super neat stencils were only applied during a rebuild at workshop level and these were only general ones that would apply army-wide. On the 113 series that would be the drain plug reminder on the reverse of the trim vane and the CFR. Repaints would cover all that with our creative artwork.
Old 17-01-17, 01:42

Hi Jim

Ahhh yes, the chalk lines!! Boxes of school chalk from the SQ. One year the chalk just slid across the paint. There was no way to chalk. Whether it was the chalk or the paint, I never knew.

My faithful 42B went away to the fabled 3rd line and came back all shiny and new. Downside was all the personal touches of the crew were gone. Upside was that I'll bet she had the best heater in the Lynx Fleet right to the end.... and we just added our personal touches.

Still need a clear image of the winged fist from the Airborne Armoured Recce Lynxes. Chaloux, yours was crap.

regards
Darrell
Old 09-04-17, 12:44

Old 09-04-17, 14:51
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
A shaving brush does a very similar job
Agreed. The old painter's advice applies - brush it on, brush it in and brush it out.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-04-17, 21:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

And for a cleaner edge, make your stencil from correct stencil paper and use some stencil adhesive to help it stay flat. Both available at places like Michaels...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 10-04-17, 10:31

Would white diffs (for diff lights) be painted in a similar manner?

Rather amazingly the diff was white on the Morris Tilly, and I'm planning to recreate this feature.

I didn't know they had skate-boarding mice in HM Forces, as i'm not sure who else would see it