MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-16, 04:52

Default Tell us about the metal brake.....

....... any pictures of the braking beauty????

Watching with great interest, has I have to do one for the my cab 11. Still debating whether to patch up the best 2B1 box I have or build a one new from scratch using what models I have as a pattern.

Did you ever noticed the difference ( and lessons learned from ripped pant seat bottoms).....

Viewed from the rear when closed the cab 11 tailgate is all smooth with all the bracing on the inside...... so when held open with chain you had a rough surface to sit on....

On the cab 13, all the bracing is facing outside ( so you have to do a good welding/fabricating job) and when the tailgate is open the inside is smooth........

Grant has found his jig for making his hinges from strap steel and should be posting soon.

Cheers
Canada
Old 11-12-16, 05:23

I made some great progress today. First I had to beef up the metal brake. Ill post more on that in another thread.

I finished cutting the tail gate panel by putting in the tail light holes and the foot step holes. For the tail light holes I used a 1-3\4" hole saw. It tends to wobble a bit while drilling with a hand drill. I then used a hand file to finish the edges out to the proper diameter. For the straight lines I used my trusty angle grinder with a zip disk and some steady hands. The foot holes were also cut out with the zip disk and then I finished them with a combination of a flap disk and a hand file. They took a bit of time but I really couldn't think of any other way to cut them out with the tools I have.

I had Metal Supermarket cut out all the sheet metal more on their shear. This saved me considerable time and ensured I had perfectly straight cuts and square corners. I bent all of the channels myself on the princess auto brake. The long channel had to be made in three pieces as the brake can only do 36" Even with the modifications, it was still stressing it quite a bit doing 16ga over 36" In the end it worked out well enough and I was able to tighten up the bends in the vise.

Before I do any welding, ill be cutting in the channels on the original tailgate to check for any reinforcing. I believe the hinges run the entire height of the tailgate.

When I first decided to rebuild the sides and the tailgate of the box, I didn't realize I would be doing the most difficult one first. However with how well it is going the sides should be pretty straight forward. (knock on wood)
Attached Thumbnails
tailgate01.jpg   tailgate02.jpg   tailgate003.jpg   tailgate04.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-12-16, 05:38

Looks great Jordan! You did good bending that metal on the PA brake. I tried using one my friend has, to bend some 16ga sheet metal, and anything longer than ~20" kept slipping on me. I was kind of nervous that I would brake it if I tightened it down any more.

Cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 11-12-16, 05:43

Thanks for the compliments. Ive created another thread in the restoration forum on the modifications I did to the Princess Auto brake. They really do make a huge difference in what you can do.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-12-16, 05:51
Bluebell

Here's a hint Jordan;
My mandrel doesn't have a drill bit in it. I have a bit of plain round tool steel in it.
I drill a clearance center hole with an ordinary drill bit. I then put a bit of oil on the plain pilot, poke it in the pre drilled hole and cut away with the hole saw. It dont wobble at all.
The reason why I did this was that I had trouble buying the correct pilot drill and most of them leave the clearing flutes of the drill bit at the same height as the teeth of the hole saw, which allows the hole saw to move sideways.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-12-16, 05:56

Lynn, thanks for the tip. I modified mine the same way. However sometimes the hole saw binds up. Last time when it did I bent the plain pilot. Hence the wobble. Plus I'd rather drill undersize and then file to finish size.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-04-17, 03:35

Well today I spent a few hours back working on the truck, specifically the tailgate hinges. The big hold up had been mostly winter and my lack of enthusiasm for being damp and cold. Anyway back to the truck. Last fall I made up a bending jig to roll the end of the metal into a hing. One of my uncles was able to help me out today by using the torch to heat up the flat stock. All in all it worked out really well. I made up the two long and two medium length ones for the tailgate. Only one of small ones on the box frame needed replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-04-17, 03:38

With bending them hot we found the edges tended to curl out a bit. So I used my bend belt sander to slowly sand them down. Next up will be reeming them out so that the hinge pin slides freely.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-04-17, 23:40

I tack welded on the hinge straps and did a trial fitting on the box. All is good and it fit really well. It truly is amazing all of the work that went into making these for the army back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg   05.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-04-17, 03:33

Amazing workmanship Jordan . You are very dedicated and talented. Thanks for posting your progress. It is inspiring and motivating. Robert
94 LSVW
Old 11-04-17, 09:57

I finished doing my basic welding on the tailgate yesterday. I decided to use the original tie down loops as they weren't in too bad of shape and would clean up just fine once sandblasted. Once I finished, all the parts were loaded up and taken for a drive to the sandblasting guy I use for the bigger stuff. Tomorrow when I pick up all the parts Ill be giving them a good coating of POR15. The plan is that once the POR is dry, Ill finish all the needed welding.
Attached Thumbnails
tailgate01.jpg   tailgate02.jpg   tailgate03.jpg   tailgate04.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-04-17, 10:09
Tony Baker

Damn fine work, soldier!
Old 11-04-17, 21:36

Default Nice job Jordan

Been following your tailgate progress with passion as I am about to do one for the cab 11.

Do not forget that any welding will burn off the POR coating on both sides if you get good penetration...... try to get all your welding done first........ for the reinforcement pocket use the zinc primer on the inside section ....weld them .....then POR......

As anyone ever notice that the cab 11 tail gate is the reverse of a cab 13????
On the cab 11 all the bracing and reinforcement are on the inside..... which is a pain in the butt if the tailgate is held open at 90 degrees and you sit or drag something over it...... but the cab 13 has all the reinforcement on the outside leaving a smooth inside.

Unfortunately the hinge straps on the cab 11 are riveted....which implies a little more work .

Cheers
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 11-04-17 at 21:57.
Old 15-04-17, 14:13

Welding is almost done on the tailgate. Lots and lots of welding. I did discover I suffered some heat distortion even with me clamping. This happened along the top edge where the cutout is. Both sides bent in towards the box slightly. Hopefully the 10lbs sledge hammer will help them back to where they should be. Overall I am pretty happy with how this has turned out.

The next thing will be making new sides for the box. These should be a lot easier in comparison then the tailgate. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
tailgate05.jpg   tailgate06.jpg   tailgate07.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 23-04-17, 01:36

A big thanks to a fellow MLU'er for helping my project move along. I'm very thankful to have picked up a near complete WS19 ground station.

Yes I know it's not part of the truck restoration but it's part of the onboard equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 01-05-17, 03:47

I started in on making the new sides for the box this past week. I stopped in a local fabrication shop and they will be making the long top channels on the sides for me. The originals are 14ga and 80" long. Id love to do them myself but that is simply just to heavy a gage and too long a piece for me to do at home on my own.

However what I have begun is making the smaller vertical channels. I got the 16ga cut to near finished size and then bent them up in about 1.5hrs worth of work. I still have to cut the sides down to the proper depth and angle. I also made up new parts for going on either end of the wheel wells on the outside lower edge of the box.

The one thing I am not too sure how to do is where the bottom of the top bows meet these channels. The channel appears to either have been cut and bent to be parallel with the box sides. Or was it stamped?
Attached Thumbnails
08.jpg   09.jpg   15cwt Wireless 2-c-3 1b.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-05-17, 10:46

Figured I should get the tail gate all POR15'd and primed before all the rain showed up. Wednesday was a great day to paint so that is what I did. Im really happy with how the tailgate has turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
tailgate08.jpg   tailgate09.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-05-17, 22:44

Default Side pockets indentations......

Hi Jordan

I was examining my 2C1 box and if I had to do the side pockets I would do this.

measure carefully the size of the indentations and the depth..... about 3/32 or the tickness of the metal if you were using 14 guage.

Center the outline of the indentation on your new 16 gauge vertical brace.

Cut as outlined in the attached sketch.....MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A GOOD PIVOT POINT...... at least 1/8 uncut.

Think of a damper in a chimney..... you should know about dampers......
Pull the upper 48% out by 3/32 and pushing the bottom 48% out an equal amounts.

Weld from the back first to fill the gaps......then the front and sand smooth the front visible side....... make sure yor behind welds are solid as they will carry the torque of the hoops.

Now I must point out that I have not tried this but it is how I would tackle it.

Good luck and post us some pictures. No doubt the original was stamped before assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Jordanbox001.jpg  
Canada
Old 08-05-17, 23:24

Ha why should I know all about dampers, although not much dampens my enthusiasm?

I like your idea and it makes sense to me. I might try it out on a scrap piece first. I'll have to wait till Thursday or the weekend to play around with it. Darn work getting in the way of the hobbies it supports.

On another note I broke my metal brake today. The top clamp is held in by some rather dodgy weak welds (princess Autos finest) and well I felt like superman when I realized I pulled them out. Thankfully it's a simple fix using stuff I don't have at the moment.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-05-17, 23:28

Default How many chimney fires have responded to...?

....just pulling your leg .,......but it is the first thing to turn off when you get there.

Brakes do break...... if you exceed the limits of the poor welds.... nothing you can't repair.

Cheers
Canada
Old 08-05-17, 23:39

Usually by that point things have progressed well past the chimney. Lol.

Too be fair I had noticed the threaded studs bending from where they were welded. I'll be replacing with grade 8 set screws with some good welding to the heads. I've checked the other side and its bent and pulling out as well.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-05-17, 00:46

Default Can you.......

Replace the stud with a larger size.....or even better eliminate the free play so the stud can not bend but would have to shear......

Or you could stop bending long pieces of 14 gauge metal......

On the chimney fires....do you guys still use the special flares that they lite and threw in the stove.......???? it consumed the oxygen and generated an inert gas that choked off the fire without spraying water all over on hot steel...........

Cheers
Canada
Old 09-05-17, 04:03

Talked to my local machinist tonight at a meeting. He's getting me some strong shoulder bolts to use. I'm also going to add another piece of channel to hold the other end of the stud. That should hold everything and then I'll find the next week point.

Never seen that kind of a flare. We have a grenade type thing but never seen it used. It's a pricey piece of one time use only kit.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-05-17, 20:24

And last night I had part of the sheet metal brake snap off and go flying across the shop with a bang. Oh well it's something else to fix and make stronger.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-05-17, 20:26

Nice little accessory that I managed to find recently. Now onto finding the tin.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-05-17, 20:51
HUP guy

Default nice !!!

Jordan,

That is a great find. They are a very rare CMP item. Have you thought about reproducing them?

Brian
Old 12-05-17, 02:41

I was pretty happy about finding it.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 13-05-17, 17:56

Ok things are now back on track. Not wanting to loose anytime after work to sleep I've got the sheet metal brake back together and things are all fixed up. I replaced the stud with some high strength set screws. I then used some spare box channel and c channel I had to make holder. This will now support the other end of the stud and should keep it from bending up. I'll keep going with this until the next part lets go and then that will be beefed up.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-05-17, 02:04

Default Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Nice little accessory that I managed to find recently. Now onto finding the tin.
Well done Jordan.. nice find!

What was its purpose and what tin are you referring to?
Old 14-05-17, 03:29
HUP guy

Default First Aid Kit

Tony,

see the pictures here in this thread from Rob Fast:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21476

Brian