MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 27-06-03, 18:54

Default Vehicle Side Tents ?

Looking for info/pictures/sample of canvas tent additions used to provide additional crew working ground space beside 1950s-60s-70s Dodge 3/4 ton trucks (M37/42/43/152). I believe that these were known as penthouse or marque tents but am not sure. Any and all info including type and layout of guy ropes, much appreciated. Robert in Toronto
Old 28-06-03, 04:15

Default Tents etc

Hi Rob; That is my era(50,60,70), and I don't remember seeing too many "penthouses" att to the veh you mentioned. In the field, there were some various and ingenious "homemade" canvas shelters att to the rear of the 153 sigs vans, or just a plain 160pdr field tent with a truck backed up to it. Some of the Deuce-and-a-half vans had shelters, but again most of these were "home made". The "Marquee" tent was a great heavy abomination that required a platoon to erect. Many guy-ropes, wood side stiffener poles for the canvas walls, iron pegs etc. The modular replaced it, thank,God. The modular system has sections that will fit around the back of a veh that is backed up to it then secured, and provides a light secure closure.
BTW, thanks again for the top bow frames for the water trl. Brian Gough dropped them off. They are blasted and primed and ready for final paint. Thanks again, and the beer will be cold when you come down this way.
Cheers,Bill
Old 28-06-03, 06:29

Default Cold Beer in a Tent you say ??

Bill, glad that the bows got there ok. Sorry for the delay in getting them shipped down. Any chance of a picture of your truck via e-mail ? Know anyone else out your way that needs another set of bows ? As you know they are stored outside under my pine trees and are fast rusting away. Would like them to go to good homes rather than the smelter. Bylaw officer will find them sooner or later and then ... off to the crusher they go !!

Thanks for the info on the side tents but I currently own a Dodge ambulance that had the roof raised 2' to make it into a mobile photo darkroom and have a photo (long distance away) of it showing both side and rear "lean-to" tent attachments. Attachment clips are still on the truck but you are right in that it looks very "home-built" rather than a proper job. Have also seen a photo of an M152 radio van with tent extension clipped to the rear of the truck.

Hope to get out your way next summer and will give you plenty of notice so the beer has time to chill properly.
Old 03-07-03, 00:50

I have two M37s and have done a lot of research on them and have never seen an official tent that attaches to them. However the maintenence platoons had an "A" frame tent that was designed to have a vehicle nosed into it or have a side draped over the vehicle. I'll try to dig up the exact info for you.

Robi

Last edited by Robi; 03-07-03 at 01:12.
Old 03-07-03, 01:10

Found it! TM10-8340-208-13 Feb 71
Tent, Vehicular maintenance; with cover, pins, and support.
supersedes Apr 64 with all changes
FSN 8340-889-3686.

If you need more info I have the TM in my collection and can scan some pages for you.
Attached Thumbnails
tent.jpg