MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-09-16, 15:09
Terry Warner

Default CBC Ottawa news story about the trauma of viewing HMVs

Folks, I saw a mention of a quote, "Just heard this story listed below on the CBC and of course they had to find someone who had an issue with this. A university professor from Carleton said that the presence of these vehicles is very traumatizing to our recently arrived refugees, as many of their friends and families had been killed by these weapons. I was two seconds away from rifling my remote through the tv screen." unquote.

Still he-said-she-said and no context, but troubling for those of us who own or operate HMVs. Time to be preemptive if someone can find a name or link.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-09-16, 15:42

There was a similar story last week with "air shows" being the catalyst of trauma.
Old 25-09-16, 15:54
GM Fox I

I don't know about MV's but did hear a CBC radio article a few weeks ago asking that the Toronto CNE airshow be shut down for the same reason. 'War jets' are too traumatic for newcomers. The woman said 'she was OK' with airshows despite them causing climate change and were nothing more than a display of male macho so I didn't think her 'OK" was very genuine.

I see where this is headed. No airshows. No displays of anything military because somebody thinks it's offensive. Remembrance Day ceremonies banned to save hurt feelings.
Old 25-09-16, 17:10
Terry Warner

Yes this is where I am thinking too. So, who can get me a link or a transcript to get to the bottom of this story?

So far I'm only hearing CBC, maybe national, radio, female Carleton professor, maybe broadcast Thurs 22nd about 2000hs.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 25-09-16, 20:09
Terry Warner

Default found the answer

The broadcast starts at about 10:00 and goes for a minute or so more.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational and navigate to the 24 Sept evening boardcast.

I didn't find a place for public comments. Maybe the Mother Corporation was feeling too much public comment on their editorial stance and content?

The obligatory 'balanced journalism' comment is from:

https://carleton.ca/law/people/tiffany-a-maclellan/

Her PhD is on war memorials! Almost someone we actually need to include in an informed discussion.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 25-09-16 at 20:16.
Old 26-09-16, 03:14

Default Trama turds

Vancouver has one of those Mayors, generally referred to as Gregor the Commie or Mayor moonbeam
He has prevented any flypasts in the past and ended both the CF18 flypast of the Vancouver Indy, he got rid of Indy later, flypast of the Lancaster and others from the Abbotsford Airshow.
One of the more ridiculous ones was no overflight of the Snowbirds at the international Fire Police and Rescue games at Burnaby's Swangard stadium. The Stadium is right on the Vancouver Border.
So the snowbirds adapted there routine to come screaming up Boundary road on the Burnaby side and kept their routine strictly on the Burnaby side. right over my house, of course they had to practice it the day before.
Old 26-09-16, 04:05
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
Vancouver has one of those Mayors, generally referred to as Gregor the Commie or Mayor moonbeam
He has prevented any flypasts in the past and ended both the CF18 flypast of the Vancouver Indy, he got rid of Indy later, flypast of the Lancaster and others from the Abbotsford Airshow.
One of the more ridiculous ones was no overflight of the Snowbirds at the international Fire Police and Rescue games at Burnaby's Swangard stadium. The Stadium is right on the Vancouver Border.
So the snowbirds adapted there routine to come screaming up Boundary road on the Burnaby side and kept their routine strictly on the Burnaby side. right over my house, of course they had to practice it the day before.
Right. So we hide any and all showing of military hardware and that will end war, right? Or maybe, just maybe that would be a supreme slap in the face to all vets who fought for the very rights these moonbeam people cherish so much.

Disgusting.
Old 26-09-16, 05:38

Default There's always one.....

Many years ago, I owned a 45 GPW, which I adored driving in downtown Vancouver. It was always a show stopper. One day, while being front and centre at an intersection, waiting for a red light, a Volkswagon window bus made a turn into the intersection and long haired ....yes I gotta say it "hippie type" screamed out at me"The War's Over". Luckily being stopped, I grabbed the windshield, hauling myself up, with both middle fingers standing at attention, shouted back" F'You Jack! And very much to my surprise, I received a virtual standing ovation via clapping and horn honking from those others waiting there for the the light to turn green, including people on the sidewalk.
One of my prouder moments in this hobby......Robert
Old 26-09-16, 13:07

Saw this article when the CNE airshow was happening.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...auma-1.3747293

The person who submitted the article is Maya Bastian, a writer and film maker. From that article...
"Bastian is now working on a film based on the air show and people's reactions to it. One of her biggest concerns is the impact it has on Torontonians who've experienced actual aerial attacks, as opposed to the orchestrated showcase on display this weekend.

"No one — especially the immigrants and refugees that show up new to the city — they're not made aware of what's going to happen," Bastian says."No one tells them, 'Hey, there will be planes — warplanes — over the city. It'll be loud, it'll be disturbing.' So they're caught completely off-guard."

That isn't to say that Bastian is convinced the air show needs to end. But she does think there's a tension "between accepting refugees into our society and this sort of affront to their experiences."

It's an event whose purpose was very clear when it began, she adds. The question is whether that is still the case.

"It's part of the Canadian fabric ... In the '40s it was necessary; we needed it. Now I don't know that it is ... It's a complex question, and I'm not advocating to shut down the air show. What I'm looking for is discourse.""
The last two paragraphs/sections are interesting and not clear what she actually means. I'm guessing that she is referring to WWII but not clear why she believes it was necessary then and not now.

There is a "feedback" link at the bottom of that page.

Terry
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 26-09-16 at 13:30.
Old 26-09-16, 19:22

Default As I see it.

I despair for where we are headed when I listen to the ramblings and psychobabble emanating from what my father used to refer to as the educated idiots, the intellectual elite who believe they know what is best for everybody without a crumb of common sense between them.
My generation (post war 'baby boomers') and subsequent never had to fight for our freedom let alone our existence and in the words of our much revered early Australian poet Henry Lawson 'rot in a deadly peace'.
I get the feeling that we are headed for a reality check.The dogs are barking but at this stage are just being yelled at to shut up.
Your (Canadian) Mark Steyn seems to have a clear perception of the issues as well as being entertaining. All is not lost.

David

ps In a not wholly unrelated issue, in recent times I've heard two reports of HMV owners being told by police to get rid of the axe carried on their vehicles. A pioneer rack with axe, shovel and pick handle may soon be looked upon by some do-gooders as a collection of weapons, not tools. We await developments.

Last edited by motto; 26-09-16 at 20:01.
Old 27-09-16, 02:45

as simple as it gets "there is no cure for stupid"
Old 27-09-16, 04:00
carrier mech

About 2 years ago the we got a task at the museum to put some vintage vehicles into the multipurpose room for a citizenship ceremony. The PPCLI put in a LAV complete with it's chain gun and I moved in a UN marked Iltis and the ceremonial/vice regal Jeep. I wondered if placing military vehicles at a citizenship ceremony might bring up some bad memories for some of the participants. Apparently it did not because I think just about every one of them jumped into the ceremonial Jeep for their photos to be taken.
Old 27-09-16, 04:29
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Pick ups

Hi All

From what I have read it appears that the rot is setting in and spreading like a cancer to stop all free living people to knuckle under and change our views and way of life to appease a group of people who have recently come to our countries for a better way of life. But no they want us all to change and not offend them when they do not agree with how we have worked and fought to live in the countries we now live in. To say the are traumatised by seeing a military vehicle in a parade or celebration, well maybe they should go to Specsavers, from what I have seen every night on TV news broadcasts, I see the "Baddies" driving around in Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi SUV and pickup trucks, does that mean we must take all our Pickups off the road for fear of offending or traumatising new comers to our countries.

I recall very well when my family immigrated to Australia from the Netherlands after WW2 and 5 years under German occupation that those immigrants were not traumatised. We embraced our new country and settled into the communities and took up our new countries ways and lifestyle. We became Australians and we attended the annual ANZAC Day March, we were proud and that we were now living in a free country. When I was called up for National Service I willingly went and served my new country.

Sorry that's my two pence worth. Careful of the thin edge of the wedge.

Cheers

Tony
Old 27-09-16, 04:36

Speaking of for myself, I have had very positive experiences from all manner of people while displaying my vehicles, last year at Remembrance Day ceremonies in South Surrey I was approached by a father with son and daughter in tow, newly landed from Syria via Lebanon...he wanted to know if his kids could climb up on the M113 for some pictures, I was more than happy to oblige...reactions from his kids were what you would expect from kids anywhere...excitement and smiles. This makes me wonder if context has a lot to do with ones reaction. Sunny fall day, lots of people, friendly crowd gathering for a peaceful day...one reaction...armored personnel carriers laden with soldiers screaming down war torn streets amid gunfire, destruction and chaos...another reaction...I won't say that if I had spent ten or twenty years living among the terror of war that I would feel the same way as I do now about MV's....or really a lot of the things I take for granted. I have no problem entering into a reasonable discourse about the topic...I honestly believe that the fear or anxiety generated by the occasional sight of a historic military vehicle on the street or on display, is very far down on the list of worries of people who have fought as hard and risked as much as these folks, just to call Canada home. My two cents

Last edited by jdmcm; 27-09-16 at 06:03.
Old 29-09-16, 02:02

Canadians ( the social engineered types) are the most up tight and anal lot going, just living for an excuse to whine............. and I am more then happy to oblige their need to emote on the subject.
Old 29-09-16, 02:48
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Canadians ( the social engineered types) are the most up tight and anal lot going, just living for an excuse to whine............. and I am more then happy to oblige their need to emote on the subject.
Not long ago when you came upon a whiny contrarian who was offended at every imagined injustice those around him/her rightfully either ignored them or told them in no uncertain terms to stuff it. Today, those same whiners somehow have been given the amazing ability to shut down anything that disagrees with their fragile temperaments (by way pouting, name calling, hissy fitting and a host of other childish, but apparently effective methods). Of course after it worked the first few times there was no stopping them.

Fine, I guess. It is this generation's right to determine the kind of society they want to live in. But it's a shame they'll never know the harmless pleasure in just shooting the shit or hearing an off colour joke.
Old 29-09-16, 04:04

In my opinion this is nothing new, history is full of examples of small groups of supposed "do gooders" trying to protect society from itself...sometimes these campaigns are misguided, sometimes they effect positive change...I just wouldn't want to see a small group of well wishers leave the rest of us to bemoan and mistrust the people they are supposedly trying to protect. Face it our country is changing, some would say at an alarming rate...and yes in some ways newcomers adapt to us, and in other ways we adapt to them. But the sun still rises and sets
Old 29-09-16, 06:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Their trauma could also be rekindled each time they see a 4wd truck on the street, so we ought to get to banning those too pretty soon.
Attached Thumbnails
147105579.jpg   Technical14.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 29-09-16, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
I despair for where we are headed when I listen to the ramblings and psychobabble emanating from what my father used to refer to as the educated idiots, the intellectual elite who believe they know what is best for everybody without a crumb of common sense between them.
My generation (post war 'baby boomers') and subsequent never had to fight for our freedom let alone our existence and in the words of our much revered early Australian poet Henry Lawson 'rot in a deadly peace'.
I get the feeling that we are headed for a reality check.The dogs are barking but at this stage are just being yelled at to shut up.
Your (Canadian) Mark Steyn seems to have a clear perception of the issues as well as being entertaining. All is not lost.

David

ps In a not wholly unrelated issue, in recent times I've heard two reports of HMV owners being told by police to get rid of the axe carried on their vehicles. A pioneer rack with axe, shovel and pick handle may soon be looked upon by some do-gooders as a collection of weapons, not tools. We await developments.

With all respect Dave, if the police told someone to remove an axe from a vehicle I would strongly advise that person to question such a direction. There is nothing in Victoria's legislation where any offence is being committed by having an axe attached to a vehicle especially with military vehicles where it is part of the CES.

The only time being in possession of an axe would constitute an offence is where it was proven that the possession was in connection with some intent to use the axe as a weapon. Strapped to the side of a vehicle falls far short of that.

As an aside however when we took a number of vehicles across to Tasmania on the car ferry some years ago we were instructed by the loading staff to remove the axes and secret them out of sight in the vehicles! "What about the shovels?". "No they will be ok?

Go figure!!!!
Old 29-09-16, 14:44

One axe incident was in SA a while back and more recently in QLD IIRC.
To a very great extent it would be at the discretion of the cop involved. I don't see a trend just yet, probably the odd officious type we've all no doubt met at sometime, they take a very dim view of being challenged and I wouldn't like to try. Similar discretion applies to the carriage of any cargo in or on a vehicle on club permit. That is a definite no no according to the regs. I wonder how many cops would even know that?

David
Old 29-09-16, 15:43
3RD ECHELON WKSP

So just like everything else in this whacked out society, I suppose if one ever gets bitten by a dog, then all dogs are bad and no one should own one, right?
Given the way the current Left wing mentality is going, pretty soon we will all be wrapped in bubble suits sitting around singing kumbaya and giving hugs to each other. Now I am really beginning to understand the survivalist type, dooms day'ers who live like hermits far from the idiocy.
Furthermore, it is hard to believe that Canadians continue to fund the CBC who have a certain political agenda to push on the rest of us.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 30-09-16, 00:20

Funny that you should mention dogs Chris. Greyhound racing has just been made illegal in the state of New South Wales due to the unsavoury habits of some of the owners. The whole industry (which I've never had the slightest interest in and no regard for) has been abolished at the stroke of a pen due to the actions of a percentage of hard core participants.
It's a numbers game, the system will come down hard on easy targets who have little support or no power to make a fuss. Meanwhile it has just been announced that my state, Victoria, has suffered a 13% increase in crime over the last year. This includes violent crime, murders, home invasions and car jackings. The last two were virtually unheard of here until imported with more recent arrivals but to say so invites condemnation of the strongest order from the educated idiots. These are the people that hold sway as long as the silent majority remains silent.
It's an ever changing and fascinating world with or without airshows.

David
Old 30-09-16, 01:21
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Meanwhile it has just been announced that my state, Victoria, has suffered a 13% increase in crime over the last year. This includes violent crime, murders, home invasions and car jackings. The last two were virtually unheard of here until imported with more recent arrivals but to say so invites condemnation of the strongest order from the educated idiots.
It's these educated, sanctimonious idiots that are the most frustrating. They view the world as they'd like it to be, not as it is. And no wonder, they spend their lives in security gated city condominiums and never have contact with regular folks. But it sure doesn't stop them from telling those regular folks what to think and how to live. The problem is the solutions to problems these educated idiots propose never work and their response to that failure is to demand even more of the same solution.

Someone before mentioned the CBC, our Canadian state broadcaster. It used to be great, but has evolved into the mouthpiece for these educated idiots. Heck, all their writers and journalists have to be from that group if they want a job there. At first I thought their pounding away promoting their ideology (and calling anyone who disagreed in the slightest a racist/homophobe/bigot/dummy/simpleton) was just the usual "we know better because we're smarter than you" attitude and shouting down the opposition. But I'm beginning to believe they honestly think there is only one 'right' way to think and they own it.

The latest wrinkle is they are bought and paid for cheerleaders for our new baby rock star prime minister. They have a crush on Jr. Trudeau and love his dreaminess more than Jr. loves himself. Get a room is all I can say.

If you talk like this to a CBC supporter (and therefore a person who believes in everything the CBC believes in) they'll tell you that if you don't like it don't listen. But wait a stinkin' minute...as a taxpayer I'm paying for the dam thing!! How dare they take money from every Canadian and run the organization as an exclusive club for those educated idiots and their wacky ideas.
Old 30-09-16, 02:25
3RD ECHELON WKSP

The educated idiots are not far off from a Totalitarian Regime or Dictatorship.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 30-09-16, 03:14
WO8 C15A 142736

You have CBC we have ABC same agenda, most wouldn't get a job in the real world.
Old 30-09-16, 13:29

Hi

Pity that there appears to be no vaccination for the Dunning-Kruger Effect!

Can you say "epidemic"?

regards
Darrell
(in the placebo group!)
Old 08-10-16, 00:02

It is not illegal for the hardware stores to sell axe handles, axe heads etc and the cops have tyre wrenches that can kill in their own vehicles. I really fear for the world with all this nonsense going on. What will the place be like in 50 years or so as more of these brain dead idiots are being put into a position of power, as for upsetting migrants with "our" way of life there is an easy answer "Stay where you are", job done.
Paul
Old 08-10-16, 17:43

I don't know Paul...I have a lot of good friends here in Canada that "migrated" from somewhere else...or their parents..or grandparents...like mine for example...I am not sure the answer is as simple as "stay where you are"...my two cents

John