MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-04, 16:41
MLU Administrator

Default Info needed on Mk.I cooker holder

A friend of mine, Maurice Donckers, is restoring a Universal Carrier Mk.I. He needs to know what the cooker holder for his Mk.I should look like. Please post your reactions here so I can pass them along to him.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 28-09-04, 02:46

Default Possible help

Hi.

I assume this is the one that sits on top of the fuel tank. I will try to get in touch with another UC Mk1 owner (Bob Papak) about the cooker holder. When I last saw him back at the end of July he and I were talking about that very piece. I believe he has an original holder and I have one of the stoves that we think fits it.

From what I remember, he described it as being a steel angle frame that attached to the two metal fuel tank straps. Then there was a wooden insert with an approx 9-10 inch hole that fitted into the metal frame.

Ive included a picture from the book "The Canadian Soldier, D-Day to VE-Day" This is the same as mine.

Sincerely
Jordan Baker
Attached Images

Old 28-09-04, 14:59
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Re: Possible help

he and I were talking about that very piece. I believe he has an original holder and I have one of the stoves that we think fits it.

Jordan-

Mr Papak has MY original, and is making copies.
He also has my spring loaded antenna mount, also to copy.

(sorry - but I've got to get a few shots in here every now and then)

fitton

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 28-09-04, 15:07

Default No hits taken

Charlie,

No problem, I didn't realise that those parts were yours and was just passing on info as correctly as I knew it.

Jordan
Old 28-09-04, 22:13
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Possible help

Jordan, Charlie, thanks for your reactions.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
From what I remember, he described it as being a steel angle frame that attached to the two metal fuel tank straps. Then there was a wooden insert with an approx 9-10 inch hole that fitted into the metal frame.
Would it be possible to make some photos and measurements?

Thanks!
Hanno
Old 13-10-04, 00:29
British Indian Army

Default Cooker tray for MkI*

Hanno hi,
The cooker tray for the MkI* (CTL 13251) is a metal tray made to fit the No.2 Cooker which is almost square. It has leather strap and buckle fixed to the side in a sleeve with the leather rivoted to it. The tray is mounted on two timber pieces (CTL 12525). Length of these pieces is the distance between the two fuel tank holder straps (approx. 13"L x 2"D x 1.5"W). On the underside of these two timber pieces are screwed metal plates (CTL 12527) which protrude about 1.5" from both ends, these plates being the same width as the timber (approx. 1.5"W x 3"L). The protrusions are for holding the tray in place by wedging them between the fuel tank strap and its felt lining. Timber pieces made most likely from Douglas Fir same as Firing Rests and Floor boards. Sorry I don't have any pictures or fixed dimensions, am working on these. Much can be ascertained from the various Parts Lists and Plans. I still need one for my MkI* but am still hunting for the correct No.2 Cooker to get the tray sizes from.

Nigel
Old 13-10-04, 03:25
GM Fox I

Default Dimensions

Hanno, Nigel, Jordan, I'll send you details and dimensions for this tray. Nigel, can you send me you mailing address by PM?
Old 13-10-04, 07:53
Richard Notton

Default Re: Cooker tray for MkI*

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
Hanno hi,
The cooker tray for the MkI* (CTL 13251) is a metal tray made to fit the No.2 Cooker which is almost square.
Nigel, correct me if I'm wrong but I have a little collection of working and regularly used army cookers.

As far as I can see, cooker No.2 seems to have been made unchanged through WWII and well into the post war period, I have looked at dozens around the shows as they are so common. I even found one guy with a table of unused spares including boxed tank/burner assemblies.

I have never ever found a date on these though and so can we assume they were made unchanged? If so I will readily dimension my No.2 if it helps.

As a matter of interest this is my performance measurement of the single burner cookers to boiling using 1 litre of water at the same start temp and cold alloy kettle each time. The furriners have to realise the severe importance of hot tea here.

Domestic gas, 65mm ø burner 7mins

Cooker No.2 5mins

Cooker No.2 modified 6min 30secs (if you can stand the wait to get the damn thing to vapourise and burn cleanly)

Cooker No.13 (multi-fuel) 8min 30secs (Petrol) or 6 min 32 secs (Diesel)
Not tested on AVGAS, AVTUR or AVJET. AVPIN strictly not recommended if you want to live and similarly C-Stoff and T-Stoff is not advisable.

R.
Old 13-10-04, 09:19

On the early war version of this cooker, the petrol tank was separate, and hung on the out side of the box rather that sliding out as on later models.

The push on fuel pipe connection was very poor resulting in a very real fire hazard. As a result the later post war pattern was introduced by 1944 (possibly earlier).

The dimensions sayed the same throughout.

I was still using them in the TA up to 10 years ago (including the double burner pattern).
Old 19-10-04, 23:36
British Indian Army

Default Humph!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
On the early war version of this cooker, the petrol tank was separate, and hung on the out side of the box rather that sliding out as on later models.

The push on fuel pipe connection was very poor resulting in a very real fire hazard. As a result the later post war pattern was introduced by 1944 (possibly earlier).

The dimensions sayed the same throughout.

I was still using them in the TA up to 10 years ago (including the double burner pattern).
You took the words right out of my fingers Neil. Thats the one I am looking for and I think, only think!, its the same size as the later No.2, but we shall soon find out from Bruce.

Thanks
Nigel