MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-02-10, 10:59
John W.

Default Another M29C weasel restoration resumes

Fellows,
Now that summer is drawing to a close and the days are only getting into the low 30's (instead of 40's), today I have finally moved my #1 weasel into the shed to resume the restoration work after a break of 7 years. I am embarrassed to admit that I purchased this weasel on the 11th of November 1998.
I have set a goal to have this weasel up and running by June 2011 so that I can take it to the Walker Amphib vehicle get together in Bundaberg Queensland. I have all of the parts to assemble it but Time is in short supply. In a past life an extra 100mm was added to the lower hull to raise the sponsons higher off the tracks. I have since separated the hull into two pieces and now the work commences to rejoin the hull back to it's original form. I am fortunate that this hull (apart from the damage above) has little rust in it apart from the usual spots, battery and lower radiator area. Anyway I will keep updating this post as work progresses. I have attached a few photos showing todays effort
Cheers
John Wilson
Attached Thumbnails
P1170033.JPG   P1170035.JPG   P1170037.JPG   P1170038.JPG   P1170039.JPG  

Old 13-02-12, 00:59
John W.

Default 2 Year update

Fellows,
Well I never got to Bundy 2011 with my weasel however two years on, my hull repairs are now almost complete plus I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of tracks from Liberty in the US of A. Please see photos. I got waylaid on my weasel hull repairs by repairing another weasel hull (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17318) but now I have completed that task I can return to work on my weasel.
Cheers
John W.
Attached Thumbnails
Weasel tracks on pallet.jpg   #1 weasel hull 1.jpg   #1 weasel hull 2.jpg  

Last edited by ozm29c; 13-02-12 at 01:01. Reason: Added a MLU forum link
Old 13-02-12, 17:26

Default Can you tell us more about the track source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
Fellows,
.... I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of tracks from Liberty in the US ....
Cheers
John W.

Hi John

I have often heard that the tracks are the hardest parts to find on a Weasel, can you give us a little more information on the source, like their web address.

Also are the tracks a good useable adaptation of a commercially available track or are they reproduction tracks using modern belting?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-02-12, 21:05
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Good old USA..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi John

I have often heard that the tracks are the hardest parts to find on a Weasel, can you give us a little more information on the source, like their web address.

Also are the tracks a good useable adaptation of a commercially available track or are they reproduction tracks using modern belting?

Cheers Phil
Phil..
Here is the info..
Interesting web site..
Only Weasel track manufacturer left..
http://www.libertyar.com/content/Home.aspx
http://www.libertyar.com/content/LibertyTrack.aspx

Videos..
http://www.libertyar.com/content/Lib...ackMovies.aspx

Quote:
The Liberty Track - Be sure to check out Mike's Blog as he journals the testing process for the new Liberty Track!
(pictures)-- (movies)--(request information or a quote)

Every weasel owner and enthusiast already knows that weasel tracks are definitely the weak link in weasel ownership. Here at Liberty Auto Restoration, we have frequently run into difficulties with traditional metal strapped tracks.

As you already know, driving on the original tracks is really a gamble, the track may last another 500 miles, or it may not make the first turn next time out. With such uncertainty in a part, Liberty Auto has completed working prototypes of our new Liberty Track, an ambilary design, all new, easily maintained track, designed, built and tested at our location in Elk Horn, IA.

First, a little about our new tracks:

Why did we choose an ambilary design?
- After extensive research, we determined that the cost of producing original OEM style tracks would be extremely high, and likely out of the budget for most weasel owners.

Ambilary designs are very similar in appearance to the OEM track design, much more reasonable in cost, and, due to the relative simplicity of the design, much easier to repair and maintain.

How are they easier to maintain?
- Our new grouser designs bolt directly onto the belt. OEM designs are attached to the metal bands with 16 rivets and up to 60 spot welds for each grouser. Replacing a grouser on a Liberty Track is as easy as removing/loosening the track and unbolting it.

In addition to replaceable grousers, Liberty Auto has designed new custom road pads for the Liberty Track. These pads are simply bolted on to the grousers, where as on a traditional OEM track, the road pads are vulcanized on to the grouser, which much makes them next to impossible to replace.

What are the limitations of a Liberty Track?
- There are no limitations to the Liberty Track in comparison to the OEM design. In fact, one thing you may first notice with our new design is the fact that our grousers can drive both on the inside, and the outside. This way, if you happen to slip the track, instead of the cogs scraping against the inside of the grousers and wearing away the rivets (as they would on an OEM track), the cogs catch on the outside of the next grouser and you can still drive the weasel back to the shop.

Liberty Tracks are driveable on the road, gravel, grass, mud, snow, anywhere you dare take your weasel!

We are currently testing our prototype tracks against original tracks, and will be giving regular updates to let you know of any problems, successes or changes in the new design.

Please check out some pictures of tracks we currently have installed on weasels, and contact us if you want more information!

Liberty Auto Restoration, Inc., is an MVPA member.

Member #: 28615

Auto Restoration Assistant
© WebRing Inc.
Auto Restoration Assistant
<< Prev | Hub | Sites | Join | Random | Next >>
discuss this topic publicly or privately
Visit a complete list of WebRing memberships here
Home | Request Restoration | Contact Us

Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved Liberty Auto Restoration, Inc.
2008 High Street, PO Box 180, Elk Horn, IA 51531

Questions? Comments about our website? Please email webmaster@libertyar.com

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 13-02-12 at 21:46. Reason: think about using quotes, Alex
Old 13-02-12, 22:02
John W.

Default Ambilary Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi John

Cheers Phil
Hello Phil,
Further to Alex's very detailed post, Mike based his LAR track design on the very successfull 'Ambillary' (hope I have the spelling right) track manufactured in the US of A post WW2. A number of weasels serving in Antarctica used this style of track. Please see attached photos. The advantage of this track design over the OEM style track is in its simplicity. Now the hard part, the cost $9500USD a set. Having said that a weasel without good tracks is a garden ornament. There are a number of fellows who have already put 900+ (Hard) miles on their LAR tracks (Thanks Rick W.) and they have proven to me beyond doubt that Mike's LAR tracks are a good design, very robust and reliable.
Phil, Have I answered your question?
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0743.jpg   DSCN0744.jpg   DSCN0747.jpg  
Old 14-02-12, 01:16

Default Thanks for the track info

While you think that everyone who is into weasels would already know about this source, it would seem that they don't. As this topic has come up in our club with out the connection being made. Now it might be that all the people with weasels that I have run into are scared off by the price.

So thank you for the information and I'll put it out in our newsletter.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 14-02-12, 03:51
John W.

Hello Phil,
there are some alternative track repair options that are also available to your members. By far the most economical is a conveyor belt reband using the existing OEM grousers. Tom at Snake River 4 x 4 manufactures a conveyor belt band kit: http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/forsale.php
There are also OEM style track bands being manufactured in polyurethane ex Europe (see photos) at 3900Euro for a set of 8 bands. These bands can be retrofitted to the OEM grouser. One problem with original grousers is that after 60 plus years the rubber grouser pads tend to fall off which means your weasel can only be used off road and the thin metal construction of the grouser plate can tend to fail. After market grouser pads are available see:http://www.accuritemachine.net/m29weasel.html Double click on the images. Not sure what the cost is but you will need either 110 or 112 replacement grouser pads. As an alternative rubber tracks are also available out of Europe See: http://www.staman.nl/N_frame.html?http://www.staman.nl/
I can't comment on this style of rubber track as I have had not seen them in the flesh. The website says Brent Mullins is your agent. I don't think that after freight from Europe to the USA plus taxes has been added to the original price of 4120 Euro there would be any real savings to be had as compared to the LAR track.
The fun of owning a weasel Dealing with tracks.
Cheers
John W.
Attached Thumbnails
Mvc-658l.jpg   Mvc-661l.jpg  
Old 14-02-12, 16:44
David Gordon

We rebuilt a pair of tracks for our M29C using the bands that Tom (mentioned previously) provides pre-drilled to match the grousers. Much cheaper restoration when compared to the Liberty option, if you aren't afraid of doing the grunt work of grinding off all the rivets holding the old bands to the grousers. Plus you end up with track retaining original grousers if the look makes a difference to you.

Once broken down, I also ran a wire wheel over the inner side of the grousers to remove the rust. Then primed and painted them a semi-gloss black before putting the new bands on with stainless steel button-head bolts. Didn't do anything to the ground side of the grousers since we still had pads on most of them and I figured any paint would scrape off over time so would be a wasted effort.

Weasel flies like a bat out of Hell now.
Attached Thumbnails
TrackBands4.jpg   TracksRebuilt1.jpg   Grousers.jpg  
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel