MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-02-13, 05:26
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Ww2 occupation money

Hi Guys

I recently aquired a bank note which I was told may have been Japanese Occupation Money. Though I am not sure and I am hoping someone out here in MLU land may be able to throw some like on it for me. On the reverse of the note is a list of names and on the other side of the note name "Boozers Club". I doubt they were prisoners of war as I can't see the enemy providing booze unless they were brewing it themselves. It is an interesting note and It would be terrific to find out the story behind the names on the note. So if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10175.jpg (81.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Scan10176.jpg (123.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 24-02-13, 07:29

Hi Tony,
My kids took some photo's of Invasion Money that was on display when we were fortunate enough to visit the Sergeants Mess at Puka. last year.
This was to be used when Australia was taken. I assume your notes are when Japan was under allied control?
Rich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invasion money.JPG (49.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Invasion money (1).JPG (50.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Invasion money (2).JPG (65.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 24-02-13, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
I recently aquired a bank note which I was told may have been Japanese Occupation Money.
No, it's ordinary Japanese currency. Occupation currency is clearly marked as such in English.

As you say though Tony it's an interesting note, no doubt with a story to tell. My guess is it's WW2 era, and the names are post-war occupation servicemen. From there I can only speculate - perhaps they were drinking in a bar and there was no paper handy so they used a banknote. But what were they writing? Perhaps they were electing a "Boozer's Committee" to handle the bar tab. But why so many people on the committee? Perhaps they handled the tab for their entire base, to save everyone carrying around wads of increasingly worthless Japanese currency. How's that for speculation!
Old 24-02-13, 21:45

Default 123 Tpt Platoon - BCOF

I agree with Tony: Japanese money.
The names I think I can see are:

R Holden
H Clarke
M Whiting.

These may be:
NX191133 Holden, R, Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX136344 Clarke, H O, L/Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX206814 Whiting, N M, Private, 123 Transport Platoon.

123 Aust Transport Platoon, RAASC, was part of BCOF.

If you care to post the other names and I'll see if they fit the above Unit roll.

Regards

Mike C
Old 25-02-13, 00:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Good solution

Hi Mike and Tony

Thank you both for getting back to me with your information, which to me sound like the correct answer. I had many years ago seen some Japanese invasion money, Like Mike's Shilling note photo. I also saw one with Dutch Guilder on it, most probably used for Indonesian occupation.

I did think the note was Japanese and maybe used by occupation forces in Japan after the end of WW2. It was the Boozer Committee and names that got me interested and I love Tony's Boozer Committee senario, that is so typical "Australian".

Mike thanks for tracing the names for me that is a great start for further enquiries. I will do some enlarging of the image and use the magnifying glass to see if I can identify any other names for you. Once I have some more to go on I will post back on this forum. I would like to find out if any of the old diggers are still with us.

Cheers

Tony
Tony
Old 25-02-13, 06:23
Tony VAN RHODA

Default A couple more

Hi Mike

Richard, sorry mate I called you mike instead of Richard.

Mike, the names you checked and identified as follows:

NX191133 Holden, R, Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX136344 Clarke, H O, L/Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX206814 Whiting, N M, Private, 123 Transport Platoon.

These names are confirmed on the note. I think the following two found on the note could be identified and it would be interesting to see if they are also members of 123 Aust. Transport Platoon, RAASC, BCOF.

A Russell.
P Corfield.

I have been doing some checking on RAASC Transport and it appears they were usually in section or Platoon strenght. So if it was possible to identify all 5 of the names on the note as part of a Section or Platoon, then it would be easier to identify the rest of the "Boozer Committee". Possibly from the part names clearly seen on the note.

Cheers

Tony
Old 26-02-13, 13:37
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
No, it's ordinary Japanese currency. Occupation currency is clearly marked as such in English.

As you say though Tony it's an interesting note, no doubt with a story to tell. My guess is it's WW2 era, and the names are post-war occupation servicemen. From there I can only speculate - perhaps they were drinking in a bar and there was no paper handy so they used a banknote. But what were they writing? Perhaps they were electing a "Boozer's Committee" to handle the bar tab. But why so many people on the committee? Perhaps they handled the tab for their entire base, to save everyone carrying around wads of increasingly worthless Japanese currency. How's that for speculation!
Hi Tony

I would like to thank you for your PM and the contact with James with the BCOF people. I rang James tonight and he was very interested in what we were trying to do and has offered all his help. I sent him an email with a photo showing all the details on the note. James has sent me an email with contact details for Noel WHITING one of the guys identified by Mike Cecil and he is still alive and living in NSW. I will try and ring him tomorrow and interview him about the "Boozers Committee", and how his name came to be on the note.

Thanks to you guys, Tony, Richard and Mike we may have an interesting story to tell about a bunch of diggers antics so long ago. I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Tony
Old 26-02-13, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
James has sent me an email with contact details for Noel WHITING one of the guys identified by Mike Cecil and he is still alive and living in NSW. I will try and ring him tomorrow and interview him about the "Boozers Committee", and how his name came to be on the note.
Nice work Tony, it's always great news to hear that a vet is still with us. Hopefully you can make his day by reminding him of the Boozer's Committee!
Old 26-02-13, 18:02

Tony,

I have NX142085 Corfield, PHF, Private, 123 Tpt Platoon, so he fits the trend.

However, none of the 'Russell' names listed fit with 123 Tpt Pl. There's an A Russell in the 1st Armoured Car Squadron, also a New South Welshman - maybe that's the connection?

Worth asking when/if you speak with Whiting.

Nice find! This note might be worth a story for the AWM's Wartime magazine. I recently finished some research and an article on a Chev lorry that has all sorts of names and service numbers scratched into it: proved a very interesting story, and narrowed down the truck's service history considerably. It will be published in the next Army Motors. Maybe you should consider something similar on 'The Note'. They (Wartime) will only want about 1,000 words.

Regards

Mike C
Old 26-02-13, 20:35

Great story indeed!
Keep up the good work.
Waiting for the next instalment.

As an aside, we came across "C J Bouchard" scratched into the back of a Champ Generator Panel last month. Could not find a CJ on the net that fit the demographic, but thought it was worth a try. National Service archives are not yet accesable it seems.
Rich.