MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-03-15, 10:15

Thumbs up New Vehicle - '41 Ford Woody - C11AS

The sale of a long established collection allowed me to purchase this vehicle. Not the heavy version but the standard militarised version of this iconic vehicle. Although having several civilian embellishments and creature comforts fitted in its post war career it still retains military refinements such as additional switches, extinguisher locations and rifle clips (used for umbrellas). First registered in 1948 it was one of a pair used by a hotel on the west coast of Scotland to collect guests from the near-by station or take them on sight seeing trips. Sold on in the early '70s to a gentleman in Wales it was acquired by Peter Sayer in 1982 and is well known locally and attended the Ardennes tours over many years. A fine addition to accompany my '40 01AF Fordor and '40 Ford WOC1 PLUS Canadian CDLV 242 Contract Jeep. however at some time the collection will have to be thinned down, but which one!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0389 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3805 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3809 - Copy.JPG  
Old 27-03-15, 10:58

Lovely vehicle, Ian. Would there be any possible chance of some more interior pics, please? I'd be particularly interested in the dash configuration, and the rifle clips, if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 27-03-15, 15:17

Congratulations Ian! I saw the Woody in the auction catalogue and was hoping it would find a good home....and so it did.

I searched the web for woody staff cars a while ago and realised that it's not unusual to find them restored in civvy colours and with clear coated woodwork! Good to see this one is still in dull painted woodwork

Alex
Old 27-03-15, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Austin View Post
Lovely vehicle, Ian. Would there be any possible chance of some more interior pics, please? I'd be particularly interested in the dash configuration, and the rifle clips, if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt, will take some more for posting. Rifle clips are mounted on both sides above doors with dash having additional switches for blackout of tail and brake lights plus convoy light switch.
Old 27-03-15, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Congratulations Ian! I saw the Woody in the auction catalogue and was hoping it would find a good home....and so it did.

I searched the web for woody staff cars a while ago and realised that it's not unusual to find them restored in civvy colours and with clear coated woodwork! Good to see this one is still in dull painted woodwork

Alex
Hi Alex,

I have photos of when it was rescued from the hotel and at that time external woodwork was clear coated. Paintwork was a buff/sandy colour and those arrow shaped embellishments on both back and front wings are clearly visible. They must be a locally produced rather than a Ford item as I have never seen them on any civilian vehicle photos. Funnily enough my father worked for Mathew Brothers near Croydon Surrey just after the war who used to deal in war surplus and remembers buying a number of 'woody's' which needed little work prior to being resold.
Old 28-03-15, 00:41

Thank you very much, Ian. I had no idea that such vehicles saw military use, but it's good to learn more.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 28-03-15, 01:13

Quote:
Thank you very much, Ian. I had no idea that such vehicles saw military use, but it's good to learn more.

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt,

Yes, there were two versions of the '41 Station Wagon manufactured in Canada for military use. The C11AS was a 'militarised' version of the standard civilian 7seater model, having the transverse springs and torque tube drive to rear axle with standard 6.00x16 inch road wheels. its Vehicle code being - SW424-C-7WAG-1. The 'Heavy' version, C11ADF, was a 5 seater built on the pick-up chassis with semi elliptical springs, prop shaft and heavier back axle/gearbox and fitted with 9.00x13 wheels. its Vehicle code being -SW424-C-5WAG -I know one of these survives, in Queensland I believe.
I should haver a folding map table behind the front bench seat although mine is missing, so something to be found or at least obtain drawings of.

Last edited by Ian McCallum; 03-04-15 at 20:32. Reason: spelling
Old 28-03-15, 01:59

Default A great Canadian vehicle Ian....

On my dream list with the Ford Lynx Scout Car. More pics? Cheers Rob Fast
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 28-03-15, 10:30
MLU Administrator

Excellent buy Ian!

Would be great if you could share more of the vehicle's history and pictures here on MLU.
Old 03-04-15, 20:29

Quote:

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay but desperately trying not to get too involved with the 'woody' yet as we have tours in May to Guernsey and Dunkirk which involves my other two Fords and I am desperately trying to ensure they are up to the requirements. However sneaked into the garage and managed to get these shots. Please be advised this is how it was bought and not as I eventually see it as being presented, although a fantastic starting point.

Regards,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3832 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3837 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3842.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 05-04-15, 01:12

Default Woody

Absolutely astounding car !

Fit for a General or for you my friend.

Bravo !

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 14-04-15, 01:22
Greybeard Member

Default C11ad

Hi there

Lovely car!

AMT-Ertl make a 1/25th scale model kit of the civilian '41 Ford Woodie which I have built several examples of.

The interior photos make me want to build another!

In reading contemporary documents, I saw references to a vehicle called a CHAD. Turns out, the reference is to the C11AD but someone substituted an upper case 'H' for the twin "11' and no-one corrected it.

Steve
Old 14-04-15, 11:34

Ian, thank you so very much. I appreciate your time and effort, which gives me a bit of an insight into these machines.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 20-04-15, 21:31
Brian Asbury

Default Related parts?

This convoy lamp and this style of canvas bag that hung on the inside of each door are related to the C11AS. The bags hung on each of the 4 doors on various station wagons. I have not seen how they hang: must be some hooks.
... Brian
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 20-04-15, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
This convoy lamp and this style of canvas bag that hung on the inside of each door are related to the C11AS. The bags hung on each of the 4 doors on various station wagons. I have not seen how they hang: must be some hooks.
... Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the use of the standard early rubber light unit as per the photo and actually have four that I will use to keep the correct 'look' , even if there will be two per side rather than one! I will convert one to a stop/tail and use the other as the indicator. However the canvas bag is something I was not aware of, having seen no original photos of the interior other than the map table, which unfortunately is missing. Do you have at least a pair of the bags available?

Ian
Attached Images

Old 21-04-15, 01:51
Brian Asbury

Default Door pockets

Ian: The bags were tagged "Pocket, door, detach." The part number C11AS 7925002 is listed in parts books for the C21AS and C11ADF (Station Wagon/Heavy Utility), C21AS (Fordor Sedan) and C11AD Station Wagon. Four were used in each case. They they may well fit other passenger vehicles. There are 2 grommets on the rear for attachment. PM sent regarding stock. . Brian
Old 06-03-22, 08:25
MLU Administrator

Ian wrote:

“Taking an ex. Royal Signals bridegroom to his wedding in 2022, could not resist taking a similar photo to ‘Somewhere in England’ 1942.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	A93545BA-8FA1-43D0-9AC0-A9DEA765FA6D.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	127781 Click image for larger version

Name:	7B6BC6FB-D707-495A-BDCE-8F3F0EF48C0B.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	127782
Old 17-01-23, 00:15
MLU Administrator

Wartime photo of a C11AS