MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 26-12-12, 11:39
Tony Baker

Default CMP cab13 blackout headlight and front sidelights

I am looking for a Cab13 blackout headlight set for my Ford.

Also need the two front side lights. Any condition considered, and incomplete items may be of use as well. Parts from several sources will still get me the same result right?

Thanks guys!
Old 26-12-12, 12:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Side lights

There are two different types, might be able to help with NOS, send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
I am looking for a Cab13 blackout headlight set for my Ford.

Also need the two front side lights. Any condition considered, and incomplete items may be of use as well. Parts from several sources will still get me the same result right?

Thanks guys!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-12-12, 18:45

Default Did Ford mount the headlights in pairs

Hi Tony

Did Ford use the blackouts in pairs or singly? Or did it depend on when and where they served. My research on Chevs showed them often mounted with only one head light. Another question where they wired for both head lights? Again on the early Chev Pattern 13 one head light switch on the late there were two one for the blackout and the other for the clear.

Reason I ask is that I have mounted one blackout and one regular which gives the look of blackout but enough light to actually drive on the road.

The black out units have from time to time shown up here on MLU and on e-pay. Before I found some real ones I fabricated as set of them. If you would like I can post a picture of the fabricated ones. These where a copy of some I had seen made up for regular autos in Britain during the war simple but effective. One of the problems with the actual black out shields used on CMP is the bulbs but these are available from different sources.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 27-12-12, 00:44
GM Fox I

Default CMP 13 cab lights

Ford and Chev 13 cabs left the factory with one blackout headlight on the left side. The right side was not wired. The un-wired right headlamp socket had a plate over it that, early on, usually had the bridge class sign painted on it. Later the bridge class sign was moved inward to a position between the socket and the rad grille (in anticipation of the war ending and a second headlight being installed). Each front fender (wing) had a white lamp. The two rear lamp brackets, one mounted on each side, had two holes each for a total of four, however only three lamps were used. The outer holes each had a red tail lamp and the inner hole on the right hand bracket had a red stop lamp. The inner hole on the left bracket was unused. The single stop lamp could be 'isolated' (turned off) with a switch on the dash. There was a switch at the rear of the vehicle (a dimmer switch on Chev's and a toggle switch on Fords) that, when pressed, turned off the red tail lamps and turned on the white convoy lamp shining on the differential. Even the white and red lamps had blackout inserts. There were black covers that went over the red or while lenses that had either a single 1/4" diameter hole or six pin-prick holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Tony

Did Ford use the blackouts in pairs or singly? Or did it depend on when and where they served. My research on Chevs showed them often mounted with only one head light. Another question where they wired for both head lights? Again on the early Chev Pattern 13 one head light switch on the late there were two one for the blackout and the other for the clear.

Reason I ask is that I have mounted one blackout and one regular which gives the look of blackout but enough light to actually drive on the road.

The black out units have from time to time shown up here on MLU and on e-pay. Before I found some real ones I fabricated as set of them. If you would like I can post a picture of the fabricated ones. These where a copy of some I had seen made up for regular autos in Britain during the war simple but effective. One of the problems with the actual black out shields used on CMP is the bulbs but these are available from different sources.

Cheers Phil
Old 28-12-12, 02:49

Default Black out lights

with regard to black out covers, there seem to be two different metal type, one that has an adjustable opening and the other non opening, there is also the solid plastic cover with a pin hole in the center, the 12 cab tail lights had the same set up as the 13 cab, a small black plastic disc with a hole in the center same size as the clear glass and red glass lens, 23 cab where much smaller but same idea.
1943 Willys MBT 1/4 Ton Trailer sn 25515 Del 4-43
previous
1942 UC MK1
1944 HUP MACH ZL 2
1945 DODGE WP/APT 26-7-45
1942 F15A
1952 M38 CDN101711
1952 M38 CDN101360

Last edited by Gordons; 29-05-14 at 05:42.
Old 28-12-12, 03:33
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordons View Post
with regard to black out covers, there seem to be two different metal type, one that has an adjustable opening and the other non opening, there is also the solid plastic cover with a pin hole in the center, the 12 cab tail lights had the same set up as the 13 cab, a small black plastic disc with a hole in the center same size as the clear glass and red glass lens, 23 cab where much smaller but same idea.
Not being specific to dates , and not worrying about overlap the following is what was typically used:

1940 production CMP's with pot lamps had covers on both sides with little half moon cutouts. The tail lamps were the rubber kind and early ones did not always follow the "two tail and one stop" configuration. By 1941 with the 12 cab, the left headlamp had a hooded blackout cover and the right one had a domed cover with a small pin prick hole. This was also used on AFV's and Mk.I Bren Carriers. Again the tail lamps were rubber and did follow the two tail, one stop lamp rule. By 1942 on the 13 cabs, the right lamp was not wired and a plate covered the socket (often with the bridge class sign painted on it). The left lamp was the hooded blackout style. Metal tail lamps replaced the rubber ones, the first style having a heavy hex nut back and late ones having a lighter, curved back. By late 1944 the hooded blackout cover was replaced with the one having the wing nut and movable panel as shown above. Most ofter these were seen on both sides. The bridge class sign was moved to the cab shell between the radiator and the headlamp socket.
Old 28-12-12, 09:59
Tony Baker

Guys, thats so much info, I can hardly take it all in.

Seriously, makes for very interesting reading. Thanks for enlightening me.
In light of what has been said, I am looking for the headlight for passenger side, with the slot and hood. Ideally without the rotating piece, to be 100% accurate, but visually I really like the rotating plate design better, because it would enable a more functional light when stealth not desired. I'll take either style if anyone is wanting to sell. Beggers can't be choosers!

Side light type is the metal haxagonal style. Either design of the bulb retaining portion is fine, as long as I can end up with a matching pair. I have one ratty one with the larger size bulb portion, so would need one to make the pair, or two required with the smaller 'domed' rear part.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide the valuable and interesting information.
Do you mind if I save some of the photos?

Old 02-01-13, 12:03
Tony Baker

Default still looking

Not heard back from Keith, so I guess I am still looking for the lights.
Old 02-01-13, 12:11
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Lights

Sorry Tony, been going through tons of other stuff (and scrapping a lot). I have found one good second hand one if you're still interested) or a pair of rounded end NOS. I also have the brackets NOS.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-01-13, 12:19
Tony Baker

Default Keith

Thought that would flush you out.

PM me the prices, please.

PS: Scrapping? How could you! Or are they Chev bits. :

No great rush on the PM tonight. Im just about to call it a night. Bad back.

Thanks Keith,