MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 11-02-17, 17:54

Default Wireless Set Valves/Tubes

Has anyone run across a supplier for these items, particularly for the standard compliment of valves used in the 19-Set? Fair Radio in the USA used to have a good selection years ago but are more focused on conventional American equipment these days. Pacific TV in BC have a great selection at good prices but are totally focused on the USA market. Their shipping and handling charges are all in US Dollars and are through the roof rediculous if trying to buy from Canada or anywhere overseas.

I am trying to complete a Spare Valves Case for my Mk II 19-Set and have stalled with just two valve types left to find.

David
Old 12-02-17, 00:10
Junior Password Gnome

Most of the valves are standard American types (6B8, 6K7, 6K8, 6V6 & 807) and common to all WS19s except the Australian manufactured versions.

6V6G may be expensive because it's an audio beam tetrode favoured by the audiophool fraternity.

The remaining two valves are the double diode used for transmitter drive control, EB34 (ARDD5) in the British & Canadian sets and 6H6 (metal) in the US built version, and the 'B' set oscillator/PA valve: DET20 (CV6) in British sets, E1148 in US and Canadian, I think.

The 'B' set valves will be the awkward ones (probably) because they have no sensible/practical use today.

Chris.
Old 12-02-17, 00:31

David

What valves are you looking for? I'll take a look in my stash
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-02-17, 00:45

If I had been really thinking, I should have listed the elusive Valves in the first place. Doh!

The items I am short are:

1 x 6H6
2 x 6K8G
2 x 6V6G

Great minds think alike, Stuart. I currently have an ad running on the WARC Swap and Shop that has actually scared up the 6H6. the other two, no such luck. lots of members on the net familiar with them but all seem to have gone away from that equipment some years ago. I got started with the 19-Set stuff back in the late 70's when most of them were divesting themselves of the equipment freely, or for the price of a coffee and a chin wag.

As Chris mentioned, something of a recent resurgence in appreciation for valve driven audio and guitar amps has dented the market for the remaining items.

David
Old 12-02-17, 03:15
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
If I had been really thinking, I should have listed the elusive Valves in the first place. Doh!

The items I am short are:

1 x 6H6
2 x 6K8G
2 x 6V6G

Great minds think alike, Stuart. I currently have an ad running on the WARC Swap and Shop that has actually scared up the 6H6. the other two, no such luck. lots of members on the net familiar with them but all seem to have gone away from that equipment some years ago. I got started with the 19-Set stuff back in the late 70's when most of them were divesting themselves of the equipment freely, or for the price of a coffee and a chin wag.

As Chris mentioned, something of a recent resurgence in appreciation for valve driven audio and guitar amps has dented the market for the remaining items.

David
The audiophiles mostly go for the power triodes , these are typically fitted in their guitar and audio amps , these types of tubes have a limited application in the radio field . One exception is the 211 triode , these were used in the American BC191/375 transmitter , I have a BC 191 and thankfully the four 211 triodes are still in it

I don't have any 19 sets ATM but I do have NOS tubes for them. BTW there is a mk3 19 set ( Russian markings ) for sale here right now, with a original linear amp $300 . I am tempted to buy it https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belg...kid/1138493101
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 12-02-17, 05:32

Default Tubes....Valves....

Hi David

Tube suppliers have mainly gone underground....... just no demands....most have sold truck loads to collectors/hobbyist who are listing them on places like EBay.....

There is a dealer in Toronto that advertise the odd tube and some are NOS 19 set tubes....... just need to cruise or set up a search on ebay by tube number.

Also a few from Quebec..( CHECK ebay MARSRADIO1)....same story private individuals that sells only oinline with no storefront and mostlikely lquidating old store stock.

Currently on Ebay

6H6G at 9,99 or 7.64 or $3.00 or lot of 10 for 19.99

6K8g glass 18.75 steel shorter at 8.54

6V6G this one is still used in amplifiers and usually sells in matched pairs
at 88.99 or 14.99 Chinese or someone in Penn for 30.00 each

Things to look for.......NOS (which may not have been tested)......used........ tested and a reference reading from a specific identified tester....

I have purchased full sets of 19 set of tubes with box for $35 to $100
The 100 box had 2 missing but all else tested good the cheap box was full but only 4 or 5 tested good enough to use.

I have never been tricked in any of the Ebay transaction.....never a broken tube in shipping. I have two USA WW 2 tube testers by Hitchox which I use to test and match my tubes.

Caution on the price....some do not offer free shipping to Canada.....I keep a UPS box across the border.

......and things are not as cheap as they use to be.................. when I was a kid we used the large tube as grenades when playing soldiers...... my dad fixed radios so I had a good supplies.

I is even fun to get a lot of assorted tubes....50 to 100 for a few dollars and spend a few evening looking them up in my reference charts and try testing them................... a lot where taken out of store shelves and thrown loose in cardBoard box. At flea markets I am always on the look out for the coke bottle shaped tubes for lot deal........ I have done a few of the "peanut" size but just for practice.

If you are looking at just some tubes to fill a box to look good I might have a few dead ones of the particular ### you need. I always like to keep a few dead ones for testing comparaison. Let me know and I will look.

I still have about about 30+ tubes to test out one day when I am bored.......
Need to dust them lightly so as not to rub the numbers off..... look them up in the manual....adjust the tester....take a reading and compare to see how good or bad them are......the good ones get a small green sticker and a white sticker with the tester values...... the bad one just get a RED dot sticker.

Even the old sockets can be reused..... on most testers they have a 807 tube that can be replaced by a few solid state components....... so you smash the glass save the base and rewire the solid state parts...... no more heat from the huge plate of the tube...... but it does some recalibration on the tester.

Nice way to keep warm during the cold evenings.

Bob C
Canada
Old 12-02-17, 20:31

Hi David.

I've got two of the 6K8G valves. No idea if they are good or not.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-02-17, 21:01

Default Maybe.......

.....if you plug them into your cell phone I can test them from here!!!!!

Busy doing much more basic stuff today....... like filling in the wood box so we can be comfortable during the next 12 inches of snow coming down.

All kidding aside tube testers, which used to be in every Drugstore, are coming harder and harder to find. A good tested running military tester from WW 2 runs around $800 US when you can find them. Dam Ebay all you want, that is where I found mine in Houston Texas.

I am more than willing to test your tubes if you walk them over to Hammond and we can always test an "807".

Cheers
Canada
Old 12-02-17, 22:02

Jordan.

I have a Precision Model 612 Tube Tester, so the current status is not a problem. Step 1 for now is fill the holes with the correct bits. Then upgrade what needs it as time permits.

As Bob does, I will just tag the valves with their status and move forward accordingly.

PM me with the price and we will go from there.

Best regards,

David
Old 13-02-17, 03:53

Default Vancouver Connection.....

David....If you need something from this end, just drop me a note and I can pick it up for you and send it on it's way. Robert
Old 01-03-17, 01:49

With the help of some wonderful MLU members, I have now obtained the 6H6 and a pair of 6K8G's.

Several options for the 6V6G's have come to light.

Now if I can just find that winning lottery ticket...

David
Old 01-03-17, 02:59

Default tubes

Great to hear that David was able to get help from the MLU community to acquire some tubes...however the most catching comment was provided by Bob C. who fondly remembers using/smashing large tubes as grenades when he was a kid.. ahh the good old days! I was just telling a bunch of kids about how my brothers and I were told by our Dad to dump the black oil he drained from his car on the gravel lane behind our house to keep the dust down! No more.
Old 01-03-17, 05:17

Used to do the same thing when I was a kid, actually. A friend's Dad was a Radio/TV Repairman and used to be our grenade supplier. Come to think of it, he had been in Canadian Signals during the war and had married a girl from Holland.

David