Notices

Old 10-04-13, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Wonderful stuff fellows

Knew I could rely on you!!!

Terrific pictures Richard.... ..
Cheers Tony,
You should thank Steve for the photos, I am sure you can see it all now.
regards,
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 10-04-13, 09:23

Default Of course!!

My apologies to Steve and please pass on my thanks to him as well.
Old 10-04-13, 17:15

yes, Tony, that's the version I was referring to.

Mike C
Old 12-04-13, 13:07

Default TAC Sign

I realise this is not an engineering marvel, but I am happy with the result.

Did the copy of Max's TAC sign. Welding was not done by me as I do not own a welder.

Bob Hart one the maintenance blokes at Grain Corp was luckily out at our Coolamon site and more than happy to run a bead to attach the centre 'tail' to the plate.

All the bending, cutting, shaping and filing done by yours truly.
Attached Thumbnails
TAC 001.jpg   TAC 002.jpg   TAC 003.jpg   TAC 004.jpg   TAC 005.jpg  

Last edited by Ganmain Tony; 12-04-13 at 23:40.
Old 12-04-13, 13:31

That looks really nice, Tony!. Good job

Now which one are you returning to Max?

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 12-04-13 at 14:32.
Old 15-04-13, 23:33

Default 2nd Div formation sign background colour

Here's an interesting background - woodgrain!

THE FORMATION SIGN OF 2ND DIVISION AIF, DURING THE 1939-45 WAR. THE SIGN WAS REPRODUCED IN WHITE ON A BLACK SQUARE. THE PHOTOGRAPH SHOWS THE SIGN REPRODUCED ON A PIECE OF FURNITURE IN THE POSSESSION OF THE DIVISIONAL COMMANDER AND WAS TAKEN AFTER THE WAR TO SHOW HOW THE SIGN HAD BEEN RENDERED.
Attached Images

Old 17-04-13, 08:01

I notice the AWM have an original 2nd Div vehicle:

"This vehicle was used by the Australian Army during the Second World War. It served at least part of its career with the Second Australian Infantry Division and in Western Command."

Penguin is on yellow background here.
Attached Images

Old 17-04-13, 16:41

I don't fully remember the circumstances of the formation sign on that truck ... it is a long time ago that it was purchased from a Victorian enthusiast. The truck was in Castlemaine as the 'spare' at a factory before he purchased and restored it including a repaint. After several years driving, he agreed to selling it to the AWM. I seem to remember that there were remains of the formation sign that he then reproduced.

The canvas is also an original WW2 canopy that came with it when he bought it, although I think marked to another truck type.

Nice, original truck with a low mileage. It was a very worthwhile acquisition.

Mike C
Old 18-04-13, 11:55

Default ???

Now that truck is interesting...

Begs the question, what would go into the TAC sign holder?

The one attached to the front that appears to be off a Cab 13?
Old 18-04-13, 12:23
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Another pic

Here's one of the cab 12 I took out at Mitchell several years ago.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 18-04-13, 17:02

Actually, the Unit sign should go in the 'tac sign holder', and they are the same holder for both Aust cab 12 and 13. The plate with the unit sign was reversible: it was supposed to have the word 'PASS' on the back, to be displayed when the vehicle was stopped on the side of the road and was NOT in need of assistance.

Dave placed an artillery Unit sign of his choice on the right guard, which was a common position, but the regs actually say that both signs at the front should be on the left side.

Technically, the bridge sign on B vehs should be in an irregularly shaped yellow area approximating 8 inches in diameter, but there again, were often simply circular.

There are some complexities, but that's basically how it was supposed to work (except for the good ole AIF(ME), who amalgamated the Unit & Formation signs onto a single sign in early 1942).

Regarding overseas vehicle deliveries into an Australian Port, prior to a ship's arrival with a known vehicle cargo, an assembly contract was raised with an appropriate assembler most often in the region of the port of delivery. (ie deliveries into Port of Brisbane went to an assembler in Brisbane, etc)

Mike C
Old 18-04-13, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Actually, the Unit sign should go in the 'tac sign holder', and they are the same holder for both Aust cab 12 and 13.
...but they weren't always fitted so perhaps AWM could simply remove it to depict such a vehicle, in accordance with official instructions (which Tony may find less than amusing!):

"Where vehicles have not been fitted with holders and brackets to carry unit signs the manufacture of these may be dispensed with. Similarly the fitting of special bridge classification discs will not be attempted. Instead, the unit sign and bridge sign will be painted on mudguards....and thus labour and material will be saved."

Of course, now that you HAVE made a plate holder Tony, you're compelled to use it: "Where holders, however, are available they will be fitted."

For general interest, the relevant instruction for bridge signs:

"Vehicles will normally be issued with the bridge sign painted on them. If this has not been done it is the duty of the unit to paint the sign on the guard. As it has been found in practice that the present yellow disc tends to nullify the camouflage effect, the size and shape of the yellow background (upon which the figures are painted in black) will be irregular, in accordance with the example."

As Mike says Tony you have some interesting possibilities with the formation sign, the instructions for which are open to interpretation. I quite like the way AWM have handled it on this truck, and I imagine this rendition would have been more common than the black background, which as Mike suggests would be all but impossible to stencil.
Attached Thumbnails
TONY5745 - Copy.jpg  
Old 18-04-13, 23:01

Just to correct one aspect of the AWM's Cab 12: the formation, unit and bridge signs (and the unit sign holder) were on the truck when purchased. They were painted by the former owner, not the AWM.

With the unit sign plate holder fitted, the unit sign should technically be there, not painted onto the vehicle.

Mike C
Old 19-04-13, 02:04

Quote:
I have been making that TAC sign holder as a copy from the original I got from Max. I would like to put a divisional marking in it of some relevance to my grandfather but the question was... which one? Grandpa was originally with the 21st light horse after doing some research, it seems they were shifted all over the place and re-assigned repeatedly to different units during the war. This made it very difficult pick one sign & my poor old grandfather simply cant remember.
If you're looking for "correctness" Tony you'll need to paint the Divisional sign on the guard, and use the plate holder for the unit sign. Which gives you another problem - what unit sign to use! I can't make out the unit serial on your carrier image, but the background looks to be two-colour horizontal...possibly green over blue denoting Divisional Cavalry Regt...? Mike will be of more help than me here.

Another option would be to choose a different period of your grandfather's service and depict the Division and unit in which he served at that time. That would enable you to choose the period he considers most significant himself, if it doesn't happen to be the one in the photo. If he's a bit hazy on the details you can always get them from his service record. If it happens to be after mid '44 you can use a fractionated unit sign, which allows you to display his actual unit designation. Anyway, just a suggestion, and it may solve your penguin problems!
Attached Thumbnails
TONY5746.jpg   TONY5749.jpg  
Old 19-04-13, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
If it happens to be after mid '44 you can use a fractionated unit sign, which allows you to display his actual unit designation.
Just to clarify - the fractionated system introduced in mid-'44 displayed the actual unit designation, eg. 2/12th Field Regiment in the pic below, rather than a coded number as used previously. Full identification was given by the background colour (denoting arm of service) and the coded lower number (denoting unit type), eg:

2-12 on Red & Blue Horizontal (Artillery) over 74 (Fd. Regt.) = 2/12th Field Regiment
2-12 on Red (Infantry) over 56 (Inf. Bn.) = 2/12th Battalion
2-12 on Blue (Engineers) over 60 (Fd. Coy.) = 2/12th Field Company
2-12 on Brown (Medical) over 57 (Fd. Amb.) = 2/12th Field Ambulance
Attached Thumbnails
AWM FGT9.jpg  
Old 19-04-13, 05:37
Tony Baker

Like this one I did for my truck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAC Plate - Unit side.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	56525
In this case it is 29/46 Inf. Btn.
Sorry, I don't have a photo of the 'PASS' side at hand just now.
Old 20-04-13, 02:15

Default Physical evidence

Thanks to both Tony's and Mike for some very handy information.

Still building the whole picture here but have some supportive evidence that the choice of TAC sign holder is correct.

I was going through my disassembly note's along with some unused or broken bolts in containers, when I found the one that contained the passenger side headlight bolts.

In it I found this...the piece on the left.

That makes two Cab 12's with this style of TAC holder Ive seen. I noticed there is a picture of one on here that also has this TAC holder.

The 12 Cab we got the original TAC holder off up at Max's also had a bridge plate attached where Ive got mine. I also dont think it was a coincidence that the holes between the B plate and the guard lined up exactly.

I remember someone on this forum saying "Throw NOTHING away"
Attached Thumbnails
TAC Tail 003.jpg  

Last edited by Ganmain Tony; 20-04-13 at 04:18.
Old 20-04-13, 05:03

Default Colours and numbers

After re-examining that picture of the Bren Gun Carrier on the beach, the unit designation (I think) has to be either 82 or 92.

Im tending to lean towards 92

I agree with your assessment Tony W, the colour should be (most likely) green over blue as they were considered to be a cavalry regiment.

Im 99% sure the picture was taken in 1942, down around Nowra NSW.
Attached Thumbnails
7 mile beach 003.jpg   TAC Sign Holder 006.jpg  
Old 20-04-13, 14:45

Quote:
After re-examining that picture of the Bren Gun Carrier on the beach, the unit designation (I think) has to be either 82 or 92.

Im tending to lean towards 92

Im 99% sure the picture was taken in 1942, down around Nowra NSW.

Hi Tony,

92 was my best guess too, however that would indicate Tasmania Force post Jan '43 so I dismissed it. However I notice the image file is named 7 Mile Beach, and there's a 7 Mile Beach near Hobart as well as Nowra. I don't suppose that could be a possibility...?

I dismissed 82 because it's clearly on a horizontally divided background and the only possibility there is Arty.

As mentioned you may need your grandfather's service record to determine the unit. I found my father's service record invaluable in figuring out his numerous postings with the RAAF and RAF.
Old 20-04-13, 17:47

Tonys,

92 ... Green over Blue Horizontally divided ... Divisional Cavalry Regiment within an Infantry Division, as of May 1942. Revised July 1942 to read 'Div Cav Regt or Recce Bn' with same Unit sign number and background colours. (The number first issued for AMF Inf Div Recce Units was '41' with a blue/green background. This was amended in May '42 to '92', with same background )

There were several uses of both 92 and 82 within the AMF during the war, with various coloured backgrounds, but this is the one that fits the best. Others included such things as decontamination units - and I can't see them using MG carriers.

The question is: is it applicable to a Ford 3 ton GS? The answer is yes: like most mobile units, the Div Cav units had their own integral support transport, albeit in very small numbers.

So, Ganmain Tony, a very applicable Unit sign to go in your Unit sign holder on your Cab 12 GS. Perhaps you might also consider a 2-tone (base colour plus one disruptive colour) disruptive cam pattern to top it off, with the 2 Div Formation sign within the disruptive colour?

Mike C

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 20-04-13 at 17:59.
Old 29-04-13, 09:12

Default Many thanks

To Mike Cecil and Tony Wheeler for the information on the Division and TAC sign.

As you probably saw on the Anzac Day thread I posted some pictures but I'll put a couple here to update this specific thread.

I ran out of time prior to the day and occasionally you do have to focus a little on Grand parents, family, partners and freinds.

So I took a gamble.....maybe ones made out of fridge magnet material might work...???

Had a frustrating time with the makers - but the result was worth the hassle I thought.

What do you blokes think?
Attached Thumbnails
2013 001.jpg   Anzac Day 2013 003.jpg  

Last edited by Ganmain Tony; 29-04-13 at 10:03.
Old 29-04-13, 09:44

Default important

If those that matter didn,t notice, how can we criticise, well done.
Old 29-04-13, 10:12

Default Thanks Bob

It really was a case of do this - or not have them in time.

At first I thought they were a bit lame, but they are beginning to grow on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Div sign 002.jpg   Signs 003.jpg   Signs 001.jpg  
Old 29-04-13, 10:15
Tim

Default :-)

They look good mate

Top marks for making the effort.... Can always up date latter

Scrivo
Old 29-04-13, 10:16
Tony Baker

I say it's a bloody clever idea!

Also means your chosen signage can change as desired.

You're 'an ideas man' GT.
Old 29-04-13, 10:27

Default Thanks fella's

That makes me feel a HEAP better in all honesty...

The only downside is the penguin can"t hang on (we discovered) when youre doing this....
Attached Thumbnails
Proof 010.jpg  
Old 29-04-13, 11:34
RIP

Default Instrument Cluster

Hi Tony - the image you posted of the cluster, is that one of mine? There is obviously a problem with the spedometer needle.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 29-04-13, 11:58
Bluebell

Tony, Your truck looks bloody smart, as does the penguin.
Well done!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 29-04-13, 12:39

Default Speedo

Thanks Lynn, appreciate it..

Bob the stickers are yours.

But the entire refurbishment was done by yours truly.
Old 01-05-13, 01:08
RIP

Default Speedometer

Hi Tony - when you refurbished your speedometer, did you check that the odometer drive cog was free, as these are frequently frozen causing the worm drive to bottom out.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com