MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-11-09, 06:55

Default Replica Enfield 303 rifles

Hi everyone

I found these on ebay. They look fantastic and I'd love to get 2 of them to go in my UC. Can someone comment on if they are legal to import into Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Enfield-Brit...DLVI%26ps%3D54
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 04-11-09, 15:24
carrier mech

My guess is they would be considered replicas and not allowed for import. For his price, there is no reason you couldn't assemble a dewat. Wood sets are available rather cheaply for the no1mk3 and the no4 rifles, as low as $30 a set. Add that to a sporterised rifle (normally $100 or less with magazine), and with about $30 worth of barrel bands, sling swivels and a buttplate, you should just about be there.
Old 04-11-09, 16:29

Good idea, I never thought of that. I'll look into doing that instead. It just sucks big time when they make such great looking replicas that can NEVER fire a round and you can use them.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 04-11-09, 19:26
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default By the end of today -

you may be able to buy a real one...

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 04-11-09, 23:54
Canadian Rangers

Default Replica's

Hey Jordan

I found that it was much cheaper to find a rifle with sport wood on it and buy the proper wood for it, they are much cheaper than buy a dewat and they actually work, which is a bonus for me as I am in a history group and we do the firing party every year for the leagion on Remembrance day.

I allways found it crazy that a deactivated, non-working rifle cost more than one that works and is from the era, I will take pictures of the ones I have, 6 in all, one is a 30.06 that I got from the guy I bought my c60 from.

Gary

p.s. marstar has sonn for a reasonable price and collectors source has some but they are a little rich for my blood.

M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 05-11-09, 00:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Scrapped..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Hi everyone

I found these on ebay. They look fantastic and I'd love to get 2 of them to go in my UC. Can someone comment on if they are legal to import into Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Enfield-Brit...DLVI%26ps%3D54
Jordan..
Hold on sunshine..this may help..
Just passed tonight...

Nov 04, 2009 18:09 ET
Bill to scrap long gun registry passes next hurdle
O.F.A.H. applauds M.P.’s for supporting legislation

Attention: Assignment Editor, Environment Editor, News Editor, Sports Editor, Government/Political Affairs Editor

ON, O.F.A.H. MEDIA RELEASE--(Marketwire - Nov. 4, 2009) - Bill C-391, An amendment to the Criminal Code (repeal of the long gun registry), passed a major hurdle in the legislative process earlier today when it was approved at Second Reading in the House of Commons. For 14 years, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (O.F.A.H.) has been determinedly fighting to scrap the long gun registry through media campaigns, rallies, presentations and meetings with public officials and politicians, and most recently, a national online petition.

The bill, a simple and straightforward piece of legislation was introduced earlier this year by Candice Hoeppner, Conservation M.P. for Portage-Lisgar, Manitoba. Once passed, the bill will provide for the repeal of the ill fated and much maligned long gun registry, created by the former Liberal government as part of Bill C-68 in 1995. The requirement to take firearms safety training, obtain a license and practice safe storage and transportation of legal firearms will not be impacted upon by the legislation.

"This is an important moment for law-abiding firearms owners across Canada. Since 1995, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, our provincial and territorial affiliates, recreational shooting organizations, hunters and farmers have been calling on the government to abolish the long gun registry, a paper trail nightmare which has cost Canadian taxpayers almost $2 billion dollars, a far cry from the promised $2 million dollar price tag," said O.F.A.H. Manager of Government Relations and Communications, Greg Farrant. "We appreciate the fact that several members of the New Democratic and Liberal opposition in Parliament recognized the importance of this issue to their constituents and voted their conscience. Over the last few years, every major public opinion poll has clearly indicated that Canadians believe that the system has failed the test and hasn't enhanced public safety or saved lives."

The vote was one step in a long process that has seen law-abiding firearms owners across Canada and almost 80,000 signatories on petitions earlier this year urging the government to end the long gun registry. Two major police associations, some police chiefs and many frontline police officers across Canada have also indicated that they support elimination of the long gun registry.

"There is still much work to be done before Bill C-361 is finally passed, however this speaks to one important aspect of the government's larger commitment to scrap Bill C-68. Ms. Hoeppner has shown a great deal of perseverance and has fulfilled a commitment to her constituents. She deserves a great deal of credit for recognizing the problem and tackling the issue head on," said O.F.A.H. Executive Director, Mike Reader. "The bottom line is that criminals don't register firearms. Instead of creating a paper chase for the law-abiding, the system needs to be revamped to focus on law breakers who use illegal firearms, many of them smuggled into Canada from the U.S., to commit crimes in our communities."

With over 100,000 members, subscribers and supporters, and 660 member clubs, the O.F.A.H. is the largest nonprofit, charitable, fishing, hunting and conservation-based organization in Ontario, and the voice of anglers and hunters. For more information, visit www.ofah.org

/For further information: Lezlie Goodwin
Communications Coordinator
705 748-6324 ext 270
lezlie_goodwin@ofah.org/

IN: AGRICULTURE, ENVIRONMENT, JUSTICE, POLITICS, SPORTS

For more information, please contact
Greg Farrant, Manager, Government Relations and Communications, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Primary Phone: 705-748-6324 ext. 236
Secondary Phone: 705-875-0274
E-mail: greg_farrant@ofah.org
Old 05-11-09, 00:38
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re Alex

Don't hold your breath, Pal Al.... whaddeya bet the Senate kills the bill?
Old 05-11-09, 01:39
Addicted to Drab

Default Senate Jinks

If the Senate does not follow through with the recommendations of the voted in members of parliment it may well sound the death nell for an appointed Senate.

My $.02 worth

cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Old 05-11-09, 01:42
David Pope

And your $ .02 is almost worth 2 cents these days.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 05-11-09, 02:14

OK quick question. So if this Bill is supported in the Senate, just how would it help me in getting a couple of these rifles.???
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-11-09, 02:18

The senate may be spared killing this bill. It requires third reading yet in the lower house. It is facinating a private members bill has made it this far, but it is encouraging.
Old 05-11-09, 02:22

Quote:
OK quick question. So if this Bill is supported in the Senate, just how would it help me in getting a couple of these rifles.???
My understanding, limited as it is, is that the proposed bill only affects the registry of long weapons and that it does nothing to change the licensing requirements to possess or acquire (quaint government phrases) a weapon. As others have pointed out, the bill passed one of its three readings today and now goes to committtee for study and revision. As a private member's bill it may well suffer the fate of many other private member's bills and die on the order paper when parliament is disolved for the next election (whenever that happens given the minority government we have at the moment).

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 05-11-09 at 02:23. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 05-11-09, 02:52
carrier mech

If this bill goes through it only removes the requirement to register non-restricted long arms.

You will still need a license to possess a workable rifle, and it will still be a criminal code offense to be in possession of one without a license.

The bill does not make replicas legal in Canada, they will remain as prohibited items. You don't need a license to have them, but they must be locked up, and they have to be transported like a firearm, and they can't be imported by the average guy.

What this bill will do for you is make it easier for you to get that dewat. Since the rifle would not be registered, you would not have to go through the hoops to deregister it as a deact. You will be able to simply weld a pin through the breech, and that should satisfy anyone that the gun cannot be easily made to fire.

Personally, I will be happy to see this albatross gone. It wasn't that many years ago we were paying $25 every time we transferred a rifle, and the antis wanted to raise that up some to cover the spiralling costs of the great white elephant called gun control.
Old 05-11-09, 03:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Currently, having live firearms on MV's is a bad idea (I think). So wanting dummy or deactivated makes sense...providing it's done safely and only at the right venues!!

Dummy, replica guns are banned in Canada, unless you owned them before the law changed.

Deactivating live rifles is fine, so long as they are done to current government guidelines. But here is the problem. If you register yourself for acquiring firearms, take the course, write the test, etc. then go out and buy a rifle or two, you would then have to confirm they've been deactivated. This process would be time consuming and expensive.

If the Senate passes C-391, then you may convince a licensed owner to buy a clunker, deactivate it to current standards and sell it to you. The difference is that without the firearms registry, there would be no need to get the rifle certified deactivated and de-registered.

I note that in the UK deactivated firearms sell for higher prices than real ones:

http://www.chrisjohnsons.co.uk/shop/shop.php
Old 05-11-09, 03:17
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post
If the Senate does not follow through with the recommendations of the voted in members of parliment it may well sound the death nell for an appointed Senate.

My $.02 worth

cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Just as well, Myke.... methinks we're well overdue for an elected senate anyway.

To support subsequent posters, no, even if this goes through it won't affect "replica" guns. It WILL make it easier to own/transfer/deactivate live long guns though. Deactivation regs will remain the same as they always have though, ie barrel blind-pinned to the receiver and a mechanism which can't be replaced by a working one.

Incidentally, the magazine restrictions won't be changed either, even if this does pass.
Old 05-11-09, 14:18
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post

Incidentally, the magazine restrictions won't be changed either, even if this does pass.
Baby steps Geoff, baby steps. We gun owners are not done asking for fixes yet.

Many MPs have now figured out that in a tight race, they can't afford to have 20% of their riding (gun owners) solidly against them. They had to break party ranks on this vote, especially with the PCs doing an ad campaign in rural ridings where non-conservative MPS sit and the conservatives lost by only 5% or less. Ignatieff finally offerred some minor concessions to his party's view of the registry, but they are way too little and way too late.

It wasn't that long ago that the Liberal (and NDP and Green) parties were calling for a complete ban on handguns and all semi automatic rifles. It is not even in the Liberal platform today, at least not in print.

There are a lot of things that have to be fixed yet before gun owners are happy.
Old 05-11-09, 17:46
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Don't hold your breath, Pal Al.... whaddeya bet the Senate kills the bill?
If Harper needs to in the new year, he can fill vacancies in the senate with conservative appointees and he will have a majority in the senate. He would, of course, rather wait until he can reform the senate and have an elected senate instead of the current patronage appointees. But it will soon be doable on the stacking, so the senate is not the problem.

The next big hurdle for this bill will be the committee which is supposed to study, and if need be, vote amendments to this bill. The Liberals on this committee have already promised that the bill will never see the light of day. If I recall, the committee that was working on it before this second reading was already trying to get the bill scrapped, but the conservative member of the committee was still able to steer it through.
Old 05-11-09, 23:58
Bluebell

Default Rob

The Biggest problem for all of us would be the U.N. wouldnt it?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 06-11-09, 06:10
Addicted to Drab

Default The UN

Oh My God don't open up this can o worms....I have had too many bad experiences with working with/for the UN (Useless Numbsculls) (Universally Neutered) soory I am beginning to rant....quick more wine....

cheers

Myke
Old 07-11-09, 01:28
David Pope

After watching this thread I got to wondering about putting an old sporterized Enfield back to military configuration. I checked out one that was my father in laws and was surprised to see that it was a 1902 LE No1* CLLE 1 made by L S A Co. (Lithgow Small Arms??) Now this makes it a lot harder to find parts but a unique rifle if I do find them. Now the question arises; does anyone on the forum have any spare parts for one of these long Lee Enfields or know where I can find any?
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 07-11-09, 01:40
GM Fox I

Default It is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
After watching this thread I got to wondering about putting an old sporterized Enfield back to military configuration. I checked out one that was my father in laws and was surprised to see that it was a 1902 LE No1* CLLE 1 made by L S A Co. (Lithgow Small Arms??) Now this makes it a lot harder to find parts but a unique rifle if I do find them. Now the question arises; does anyone on the forum have any spare parts for one of these long Lee Enfields or know where I can find any?
London Small Arms, not Lithgow, sorry. CLLE is "Charger Loading Lee Enfield" which means it is basically a Long Lee [Enfield] with a guide for a five round charger clip over the breech.
Old 07-11-09, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Now the question arises; does anyone on the forum have any spare parts for one of these long Lee Enfields or know where I can find any?
Hi,
To bad i juste have No4 part

Old 07-11-09, 02:34

Default swift training rifle

first of all, i absolutely despise bill c68 in it's intirety. what bothers me even worse is the requirement to de-activate a firearm...especially a historic one. having said that, my opinion is better to deactivate it than to see it go to the smelter/ torch (add method of destruction here). there is another option available..that would be the swift training rifle. it was a training aid during the war which closely resembles the enfield rifle both in weight and astetically and has an operating bolt. they do become available from time to time and were used throughout the commonwealth. while they aren't classed as a replica, they aren't a dewat either, and may be the answer to those wanting to display a period firearm with their vehicle.
Old 07-11-09, 05:06
GM Fox I

Default Swift Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mckinley View Post
there is another option available..that would be the swift training rifle. it was a training aid during the war which closely resembles the enfield rifle both in weight and astetically and has an operating bolt. they do become available from time to time and were used throughout the commonwealth. while they aren't classed as a replica, they aren't a dewat either, and may be the answer to those wanting to display a period firearm with their vehicle.
Like this? They came patterned after No.4 rifles as well as Enfield P-14's (or No.3 Mk.1's if you prefer).
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Rifle Sized.JPG  
Old 07-11-09, 19:47

Default yup

....that's the creature i was talking about....i have an identical one.
Old 11-11-09, 01:51

HI,
Just let you know that i reserve 3 wood for Bruce
Old 21-11-09, 00:20

Default Can you import these?

http://www.ima-usa.com:80/product_in...oducts_id/2594

Original bayonet training rifles.

Kent
Old 08-04-10, 20:25

Default Ishapore fn rifle

HELLO, ANYBODY KNOW THE VALUE OF AN ISHAPORE FN RIFLE? THANKS. EDDIE.