MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-11-13, 18:32

Default RCAF Station Carberry, Manitoba

This airfield started life as an RAF Base in December 0f 1940, acting as home to No. 33 Service Flying Training School. It is unusual in design in that it consists of dual parallel runways on each side of the triangular layout. The more conventional pattern of the day was a single runway in each direction.

In 1942 the base was integrated into the BCATP and was in full operation until November of 1944 when it closed for active service and became an RCAF Aircraft Storage Depot.

In the latter part of the 1960's the property was sold and a potato processing plant was built on the site of the former hanger line.

The attached image is from a 1958 air photo. The resolution is not the best, but if you look closely, you can see four P-51 Mustangs lined up on the far side of the ramp, facing the three hangers. Several dozen passed through this facility, with the last being sold off in the early 1960's. All of the 402 Sqn City of Winnipeg Mustangs ended up here, along with some 403 and 443 Sqn aircraft as well.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAF Station Carberry 1958.jpg (55.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 25-11-13, 22:08

I was browsing the web today and found this site and story, The header photo and several others are of the P-51's stored at RCAF Station Carberry.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...s-Mustang.aspx

The building in the background of the header photo is the original wartime control tower at Carberry. Long since demolished. I cannot think of any offhand that have survived at any former BCATP sites in Manitoba. Pity. One would look really good at the Steinbach Airport...or even better…poking up through the canopy of the Fast Forest.

David
Old 26-11-13, 01:28

Default Great story David...

thanks for posting. Amazing to see how many Manitoba Mustangs are still around today. Still one of my best entries in my flight log book is 2 flights/1.2 hours/duel instruction P-51D "Miracle Maker".
Last time I was in the Chater hangar outside of Brandon, I crawled up into the Control Tower room built into the corner of the hangar. Does anyone remember seeing pics of a V-1 and Me 109 being stored in this hangar on a cross Canada tour back in the day?

As soon as I win that lotto, I am paving my driveway, putting up the control tower into my shop, and buying a limber/ Ford Lynx scout car/ and some other goodies.

Cheers for now...keep those 17 pounder parts coming.
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 29-11-13, 18:30

I ran across another reference to Carberry's days of active service in the war and found the aircraft in use at the base while a training facility was the trusty Avro Anson. Something nags at the back of my head (no, not my wife) that MacDonald Brothers in Winnipeg might have been involved with production of the Anson. If correct, they certainly didn't have far to go for those in use at Carberry.

David
Old 07-12-13, 22:22

Default Carberry, Manitoba

There may be more information for this at the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum at the Brandon airport, Brandon, Manitoba. They have collected information from all the air training plan locations. South of Justice (possibly the Chater hanger previously mentioned by Rob) you can see the remnants of an airstrip and east of the correctional center on the low road to Shilo, there is remnants of a concrete wall that appears to have been used by aircraft?? Gunnery range possibly. Great find. I'll have to look for the old strip when near Carberry next. Ewen

Last edited by Ewen B; 07-12-13 at 22:28.
Old 07-12-13, 22:40
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen B View Post
on the low road to Shilo, there is remnants of a concrete wall that appears to have been used by aircraft??
I trust you are talking the cement wall on the hill just to the east of the RCMP highway detachment/municipal offices. I have always wondered what that was and have yet to get a definitive answer.
Old 23-12-13, 08:00
Derek Heuring

Default RCAF Station Abbotsford

Abbotsford municipal airport uses two WWII era runways for it's operations today. RCAF Station Abbotsford was the war-time home of 24 EFTS and 5 OTU, if memory serves me correct. A portion of the airfield is now home to 192 Airfield Engineer Flight Abbotsford, my old unit. We worked hand-in-hand with the city who now owns the airport and practiced our BRATT (Base Repair after ATTack) and RRR (Rapid Runway Repair) techniques while at the same time effecting repairs or improvements to the facilties. Once while operating a Ditch-Witch to run electrical power to a new parking lot we started kicking up dozens of war-dated spent .50 BMG cases from what we assumed was where the armourers tested the defensive weapons of the B24's flown there during the war.
Old 24-12-13, 06:50

Thumbs up If you're interested Derek.....

If your interested Derek, you should get in touch with local Abbottsford "historian" Micheal DezMazes. I would say Mike is probably one of the foremost authorities on 5 OTU. He has a gazillion photos and tons of articles on the airport. He has done many a display and seminar for the local populace as well as "out of towners". PM me and I'll connect you up with him. Cheers.....Robert
Old 24-12-13, 23:56
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Although Lancasters get all the glory, fact is most Canadia aircrew flew Halifax..I think 70% of Canadian crewed flight were Halifax.

Sadly I dont think there's a flying Halifax, although a suitable restoration is in Trenton, it will never fly.

Interestingly most of the Canadians interned at Stalug Luft III (the great escape) seem to have been shot down from Wellingtons.

BTW- the majority of the people working on the tunnels,, planning, preparing maps, compasses, clothing, etc etc. were Canadians. dont think any Americans were involved at all.

Meanwhile, the MTB shop in Montreal during the war, apparently also made wings for the Mossie...makes sense as they had all the woodworking skills and equip