MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 04-05-19, 01:26

Default M37 “Gertrude”

Hello, I have been reading this forum for quite some time, but I am finally at the point where I have information to add and questions to ask as I work on my 52 Dodge m37 which was named a long time ago “Gertrude”
Before the truck came to my possession it was my father’s, and had spent the majority of it’s post service life as a farm truck. While it was not abused, it did work hauling firewood and hay for many years, and so by the time my father decided to give it to me it was in need of a thorough refresh, which brings me here.
I am not planning to do a full restoration, But I do plan on returning the truck to roadworthiness, by repairing the wiring harness, putting new tires on, and refurbishing the brakes. I am undecided as to whether I will paint the truck or drive it as it is now... currently a dark green Chrysler colour from the 70’s. I will add some pictures of the progress so far.
In any case, I wanted to say hello and see if there were any other folks in the Ottawa area that were also working on old green iron and would possibly have spares and advice for this hobby I have gotten myself into. I am a bit east of Brockville, near Morrisburg.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-05-19, 03:57

Welcome to the forum, Rob. You should be able to get lots of help with your M37 down your way.

Best regards,

David
Old 05-05-19, 04:11

Default Welcome

Hi Rob

Welcome to the zany world of Olive drab green.

Depending on you needs and what you want to do with the truck Rob Clarke from Ottawa might be able to help you out.... he is part of the barn group and a regular on MLU.

...and you are always welcome to visit the Hammond Barn.......

Bob C
Canada
Old 05-05-19, 15:47

Hi David, and Bob,

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely have to visit, as I haven't run into too many people up this way yet that have a similar interest in these old vehicles. Last summer I did make my way out to the Swords and Ploughshares museum in Kars where I met Mike Calnaan and he kindly showed me around his collection, even though it was a drizzly rainy day. The highlight for my wife and 3 year old daughter was getting to go for a ride in his Iltis, as they were both expecting to be only looking at things.
Happily my truck is mostly complete, and I don't have plans to change it much. My main goal at this point is to just get it back on the road, driving safely and looking halfway decent.
Here's a picture of the truck before I started working on it. Currently the wheels are out being sandblasted so that I can put some new Michelin 9.00x16s on it. Coincidentally, when I went to the shop that is doing the blasting for me I spied the bed off a 2.5 ton truck of some sort, apparently belongs to a gentleman from Brockville that has a bit of a collection.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
20171123_235257.jpg  
Old 05-05-19, 16:33

Default Not in bad shape at all......

I have seen worst rusted truck resurrected........

Good luck.

Bob C
Canada
Old 05-05-19, 17:15

Looks like it might have had a driver’s door mounted spare wheel carrier at some point in it’s service life, Rob.

David
Old 07-05-19, 01:34

I understand it was repainted in the late 80s, which certainly helped. I have run into some rust on the front fenders, doors, and rear wheel arches, all of which had been patched by the military. Not the prettiest repairs, but they have held up alright. I plan on eventually cutting the rot out and welding some new steel in as time permits. So far I have only done the passenger front fender as it was the worst, and was crooked from getting caught on something.
I noticed the bolts in front of the drivers door. If it did have a spare tire mounted there, would it be indicative of a role the truck might have played while in service? Currently it does have the bed mounted spare. I had thought that the radio equipped trucks had the spare moved to the door, but I am no expert.