MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 09-11-14, 20:09
carrier mech

Default New Canadian Controlled Goods Changes

I was checking on the Canadian controlled goods website, and it would appear there have been some changes to what is considered a controlled good. The amendments to the guide are listed here: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...3.html#docCont

The main guide can be found here and our stuff is in section 2: http://www.international.gc.ca/contr...ang=eng#group2

Especially interesting are the changes to 2-2 and 2-6.
Note that for vehicles (including armoured) and for howitzers, mortars, launchers etc, they are now only controlling items that were first produced after 1945. This will exempt things like Universal carriers, various artillery and mortars, and even non-prohibited small arms first produced before 1945.

I think I read somewhere that the US had made these changes previously, but the whole system of controls is pretty confusing to a simple mechanic like me.

Perhaps someone more learned like Clive law can comment.
Old 10-11-14, 07:30

The US has removed ground vehicles, armored or not, with no weapons or non- functioning weapons from their US Munitions list, if the vehicle was manufactured prior to 1956. So these vehicles are no longer governed by ITAR and the US State Department, and no export permits are needed. As for import into the USA you still have to get an import permit from BATF but that is all. This applies to all countries of origin, including USA built. Now WW2 US armor can be repatriated to the USA. Why Canada amended the rules but did not follow the American's lead and drop vehicles made prior to 1956 not 1945. So you can import any Sherman but you could not import an M46 or M47 Patton without obtaining your controlled goods credentials. This also prevents post war British armor like Centurions, Chieftains, Saracens etc. from entering without control. Stupid in my opinion. They wanted to eliminate the need for collectors to be a required to register for CGD, but they only got rid of those who can afford WW2 Armor....

Last edited by jdmcm; 31-03-15 at 15:04.
Old 10-11-14, 13:20
carrier mech

At least it is a change in the right direction. Perhaps after they get tired of accounting for ferrets or soft skin SMPs they will revise it some more.
Old 10-11-14, 23:19
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post

Perhaps someone more learned like Clive law can comment.
I haven't done this job in almost 10 years so will keep my comments to myself as they would be no more educated than anyone else's.
C
Old 12-11-14, 04:53

Found similar info on the G503 site - http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=244162
Old 12-11-14, 05:25

Hi Jim

PM me and I will see if I can answer your questions, I have imported a Sherman project tank this year, from USA to Canada and am working on #2.

John