MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 19-06-18, 00:24

Hanno, I just have to say what a great thread this is and thanks for the posts and pics.
Old 22-06-18, 14:37
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Hanno, I just have to say what a great thread this is and thanks for the posts and pics.
My pleasure James, I hope to add more information as research progresses. Having lived in the area the effects of WW2 on that heavily contested area has made a lasting impression on me, even though that was 30-40 years after the war.

It was living in the province of Zeeland that sparked my interest in the Canadian Army overseas during WW2, and thus my eventual involvement in this site: http://www.mapleleafup.net/about.html

Hanno
Old 22-06-18, 15:01

Hanno.

Was Radar Station W 154 repurposed to another use after the war or demolished? The large structure in the photo looks to have sustained some shell damage, but I have seen worse turned into other things post war.

David
Old 23-06-18, 15:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Was Radar Station W 154 repurposed to another use after the war or demolished? The large structure in the photo looks to have sustained some shell damage, but I have seen worse turned into other things post war.
David,

Together with with other bunkers along the sea dyke, it must have been demolished. Most of them were heavily damaged by the Allied bombardments anyway. After the dyke was breached in 1944, a lot of work was put in rebuilding and strengthening them. This was vital for the population to be able to reclaim the land and start farming again. Anything on the dykes was demolished to ensure their integrity. The demolished bunkers were repurposed, e.g. the path which runs from Oranjezon in Oostkapelle up to Westkapelle through the dunes has been paved with their rubble.

Bunkers more inland were most often left undisturbed, here is an example. Check that site for more traces of war on Walcheren, there is still plenty left to be seen today.

A number of caissons from the Normandy Mulberry harbours were brought in to close the breach. The picture below show the breach just after it was closed, in the foreground remains of a Bofors gun and LVT 4 can still be seen. Once the gap was closed, the dyke was built up further.

Hanno

Name:  94cc5594-2438-f1ae-a745-f9b5b940a65e.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  29.6 KB
Old 29-06-18, 00:23
(Michel Sabarly)

Default Gun/LVT

The remains of a gun are not a Bofors (40 mm), but a Polsten (20 mm) gun mounted on the LVT, a quite common modification to give LVsT more firepower.

Michel
Old 29-06-18, 07:11
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicS View Post
The remains of a gun are not a Bofors (40 mm), but a Polsten (20 mm) gun mounted on the LVT, a quite common modification to give LVsT more firepower.
Michel,

Of course, that’s a 20-mm Polsten like on the attached picture. Should have looked better.

Do you have access to the 1 LBY war diaries?

Thanks,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	3933B4F3-910E-4D49-A239-AFB356CE0F4B.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	100562
Old 01-11-18, 22:43
MLU Administrator

Default 74 years ago

On this day, 74 years ago, Today, Allied troops landed on the heavily defended Walcheren island in the Netherlands. The island was attacked on two flanks. Infatuate II was the operation from the west targetting Westkapelle. According to the commandos involved the operation was "so tough, that by comparison the Normandy landing was like a tea party". Despite heavy losses, both military and civilian, the battle for the Scheldt opened up the route to the port of Antwerp.

At Westkapelle the Commandos were supported by the Royal Navy and armoured vehicles from the 79th Armoured Division: 10 Sherman Crabs, 2 Sherman gun tanks, 8 Churchill AVREs and 4 Armoured Bulldozers. The losses in armour, plus 15 Buffaloes due to mines, shelling and bogging down would be high, but the few surviving vehicles proved decisive in driving the enemy from their positions.

The video “Commandos Strike at Walcheren” shows some of these AFVs in action, notably the two Sherman gun tanks and two Churchill AVREs. This rare footage is a testament to the braveness of Allied soldiers and the capabilities of their humble tanks.

Commandos Strike at Walcheren

Name:	2683481D-94EC-4B23-9D85-F146606AFF2F.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	103275
Old 02-11-18, 11:59
MLU Administrator

A very good source of film is IWM Catalogue number COI 495 "WALCHEREN LANDINGS [Allocated Title]"

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1060021679

Quote:
Object description

Unedited film of Marine commandos and Norwegian troops attacking Westkapelle, Walcheren.

Full description

The correct sequence is distorted but the film features: 1. LCTs at sea, with some enemy shellfire landing about them. Naval vessels in the background. 2. LCTs disembarking troops and armoured equipment. 3. Troops advancing through sand dunes towards a burning house, whence come Germans carrying a flag of surrender. 4. Sherman tanks in action in the town, and being reloaded from a tracked supply vehicle. 5. Soldiers advancing warily through the town. They pass a Churchill. 6. Troops dug in and advancing in mutual support through a sparse wood. 7. A Typhoon circling over a wood - strafing and rocket attack. 8. Columns of surrendered German troops - one smiles into the camera, a German delaying to pick up his kit is gestured at with a gun. 9. Local populace greeting soldiers and parading and hoisting the Belgian flag. Other clips include: German notices warning of mines; a bunker called "Waldfrieden"; British troops relaxing and drinking from a water bottle; a soldier on a stretcher and one lying dead; armoured Red Cross vehicles; the Norwegian flag among troops' baggage, and rigged over a burnt-out vehicle; men with radio equipment; a Thompson SMG being field stripped; Bren gun firing; and a soldier firing and loading a captured Dreyse MG13.
It contains a lot of footage of the AFVs landing on the beach, and in action further north towards Domburg and the Black Hut area.

Some stills attached of one of the two AVREs which continued in operation. It was apparently named "MINOTAUR" and was part of the load of "CHERRY LCT 6".

Name:	43636891_2277137835864955_7146516394438295552_o.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	103280 Click image for larger version

Name:	44889679_2277135945865144_6652103360168067072_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	103277 Click image for larger version

Name:	44907349_2277135439198528_8264022745478594560_o.jpg
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	103278 Click image for larger version

Name:	44880903_2277135105865228_4805442137862701056_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	103279
Old 08-01-19, 21:49
MLU Administrator

Some more stills from the films listed above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Sherman V, T-148829?, name WOLF OF BADENOCH, Turret No.10 was one of 1st Lothians and Border Yeomanry, A-sqn HQ's tanks. It was commanded by Major D.R.R. Pocock who was the Squadron OC. It did get ashore and gave sterling service to the Commando forces.
WOLF OF BADENOCH being resupplied at Domburg:

Name:	025021.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	104709

WOLF OF BADENOCH driving trough Domburg:

Name:	025026.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	104710 Click image for larger version

Name:	025046.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	104712

Last two stills show Sherman V, T-147976, "COCK O'THE NORTH", Turret No. 11, of "A" Sqn HQ,
and WOLF OF BADENOCH, Turret No.10, in action in the dunes around Domburg:

Name:	025053.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	104713 Click image for larger version

Name:	025041.jpg
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	104711
Old 09-01-19, 00:00

Default Wolf of Badenoch name

This may be getting too much off subject - but as an anorak regarding British steam railway locomotives (as well as green vehicles!) the names on several of the tanks in this thread rang a bell with me. They are the names on some of the then latest express engines of the London & North Eastern Railway that served eastern Scotland from Kings Cross, London pre-war. Wolf of Badenoch and Cock O' The North were the latest P2 streamliners (see photo). Dandy Dinmont was a famous engine too. I'll bet the guys serving in the regiment were ex-railway staff - or maybe had just been keen trainspotters like so many Brit kids.
Attached Thumbnails
wolf of badenoch1.jpg  
Old 09-01-19, 00:43

Great photos Hanno !

David
Old 10-01-19, 22:24
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
Great photos Hanno !
Thanks David!
Old 10-01-19, 22:33
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david moore View Post
This may be getting too much off subject - but as an anorak regarding British steam railway locomotives (as well as green vehicles!) the names on several of the tanks in this thread rang a bell with me. They are the names on some of the then latest express engines of the London & North Eastern Railway that served eastern Scotland from Kings Cross, London pre-war. Wolf of Badenoch and Cock O' The North were the latest P2 streamliners (see photo). Dandy Dinmont was a famous engine too. I'll bet the guys serving in the regiment were ex-railway staff - or maybe had just been keen trainspotters like so many Brit kids.
David, thank you for being a steam locomotive anorak (as well)! Always interesting to learn the source of the names tank crews used on their armoured mounts.

This begs the question: you would not happen to know a possible origin of the name "Argyll Roger", would you?

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 12-01-19, 17:27

I have to say this is one great thread and study of the action and vehicles. What amazes me is when it was over the tanks where driven to a spot and essentially abandoned.
Old 15-01-19, 15:34

Hanno: So far no luck with the name Argyll Roger!
Old 15-01-19, 22:46

Race horse ?

David
Old 26-03-19, 20:19
(Michel Sabarly)

Default Name of No.22 Crab

The name of Sherman Crab No.22 appears in a movie of the visit by Queen Wilhelmina:

Name:	'RED TOD' - No.22 Crab '5 BRAMBLE' - RV Filmarchiv 5-611 06.57 - Notes.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	106235

Source: RVD Filmarchiv 5-611 from 06:57

There are some more views of the tanks in Westkapelle town on the same film, starting at 05:51, and at the beginning of this film: Rijksfilmarchiv 5-483

Michel
Old 29-04-19, 12:00
MLU Administrator

Default "Red Tod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicS View Post
The name of Sherman Crab No.22 appears in a movie of the visit by Queen Wilhelmina:
Michel,

"Red Tod" - great find! Duly noted, thanks.

Hanno
Old 10-05-19, 23:38
MLU Administrator

Default Trooper 14259421 John Douglas Scott

The BBC WW2 People's War website hosts another relevant bit of information.

I have yet to match Trooper Scott to one of the two other Crabs which made it ashore but got swamped later. So it seems John Douglas Scott crewed either Sherman V Crab T-148656 or Sherman V Crab, DANDY DINMONT, Turret No.15.

Quote:
A Trooper's Story
Contributed by trooperscott
People in story: 14259421 Trooper Scott JD
Location of story: England & Normandy
Background to story: Army
Article ID: A4032037
Contributed on: 08 May 2005

Name:  2c554f98c84779c47bda95fd0fe15ae1a7a292e9.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  14.0 KB
Trooper 14259421John Douglas Scott

[snip]
November 1944
Operation Infatuate — the Invasion of Walcheren Island

My personal D-Day was November 1st, the invasion of Walcheran Island, which was defended by about 10,000 enemy personnel; army, navy and air force. We were loaded onto landing craft with other members of the 4th Commando Brigade and the 30th Armoured Brigade, and set off for the island. Seasickness and nerves were terrible. Support ships pounded the coastal guns and defences.

The island is below sea level and surrounded by a wall, which was defended by heavy guns, and underwater and beach obstacles. Mine fields, pillboxes with machine guns and flame throwers were positioned amongst the dunes. The RAF bombed the sea defences and breached the walls so that water covered low ground when the tide was in. Unfortunately, the civilians couldn’t be pre-warned about the raid so quite a number were caught in the flooding.

On the boat going over I met a lad named Bill Wilde who lived nearby and went to Bridge Road School in Coalville at the same time as I did. It was nice to see a familiar face at a time like this.

After landing on the beach, which came under heavy shelling, we had to breach the obstacles at the Westkapelle dyke, clear the mine fields and then give fire support to the Commandos assaulting the town. There was a lot of fierce fighting coming from the centre of the town, especially from around the church tower (used as an observation post by the Germans). Heavy tank fire from one of our Sherman’s put a stop to this. We then made our way to a place called Domburg where another fortified tower and concrete positions were giving strong resistance. Again, fire from a Sherman’s 75 mm gun neutralized this action. We stayed in Domburg for a few days on guard duty, but there was no trouble as the place was flooded most of the time due to the sea wall damage. Part of the squadron had gone ahead on to higher ground and we joined them later, but our tank was left behind — it got swamped, along with another when the high tide came in - maybe it's still there.

When the island had been taken we came back to a place called Flushing, where a second invasion force had landed at the same time as we did. From here Buffalo Amphibious Vehicles took us back to Ostend then by road to Blankenberg. A Victory Parade was held shortly after the capture and all those who took part in the invasion were on a march past.
[snip]
Old 01-11-19, 21:13
MLU Administrator

Default 75 years ago, today

Today, 75 years ago, Operation Infatuate II started with the landing at Westkapelle on the island of Walcheren, the Netherlands. The 79th Armoured Division disembarked with armoured support for the Commando units, comprising of two Sherman gun tanks, ten Sherman Crabs, eight Churchill AVREs and four Armoured Dozers. Out of a total of twenty-four armoured vehicles, only seven made it ashore of which three Crabs were disabled by the floods during the first night in Westkapelle.

In the next few days, the remaining two Sherman gun tanks and two Churchill AVREs delivered sterling service to the Commandos to drive the German Army out of the Scheldt area.

The bogged vehicles remained stuck in the mud for many years after the war. After the dyke and town were rebuilt, all bar one Sherman Crab were scrapped. The Sherman V Crab T-148656, which landed from LCT 650 "6 CHERRY", was in the process of being scrapped when it was saved for preservation. By that time its flailing equipment had been torched off.

Today, the Sherman at Westkapelle is in dire need of restoration, and I hope the local authorities do so soon before this battle relic has rusted away beyond repair or recognition, even.

Some pics from the official remembrance today at Westkapelle (source)

"A spontaneous kiss from a bagpipe player for 97-year-old veteran Chuck Harris. 75 years ago, he fought on the beach at Westkapelle with a German submachine gun in his hand. He lost his own weapon when his landing craft sank after a direct hit"

Name:	download.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	109874
© Emile Calon"

Sherman V Crab T-148656 as a backdrop for the remembrance today: "The regimental flags are lowered while the national anthems are played during the commemoration in Westkapelle"

Name:	images1.persgroep.net.jpg
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	109873
© Emile Calon
Old 02-11-19, 00:41

Amazing, thanks Hanno for posting this and your researching into the action and history of the vehicles involved.
Old 03-11-19, 15:13
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Amazing, thanks Hanno for posting this and your researching into the action and history of the vehicles involved.
James, my pleasure. I lived in the area during my teenage years where I was immersed in history of the Battle of the Scheldt.

As one can see on the pictures above and by e.g. Jan de Jonge, this period in time still brings back evocative memories.

H.

Name:	jandejonge1nov2019.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	109916
Old 17-11-19, 18:30
MLU Administrator

Default Churchill AVRE T69114/B

Quote:
Some stills attached of one of the two AVREs which continued in operation. It was apparently named "MINOTAUR" and was part of the load of "CHERRY LCT 6".
While my primary quest is to identify the Sherman tanks involved in Infatuate II, I found some more pictures featuring the Churchill tanks.

Attached are pictures of Churchill AVRE T69114/B. It had the marking "A3" on the rear of the turret bin. It was one of two AVREs which took part in the fighting on Walcheren after landing at Westkapelle. It is picture here left abandoned in the Zuidstraat (looking West), Westkapelle, July 1946.

Name:	Zuidstraat - Churchill AVRE.jpg
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	110203

This picture shows the Zuidstraat looking East. One the left side of the road Churchill AVRE "A3" can be seen, behind it Sherman V Tank WOLF OF BADENOCH with another Sherman V Crab behind it. On the right side Sherman V Tank COCK O'THE NORTH, with a Sherman V Crab behind it.

Name:	21752012_1458040220941624_1583149368045392923_n.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	110206

The other two pictures show it was left close to Sherman V gun tank, T-148829(?) "WOLF OF BADENOCH" Turret No. 10, 1LBY "A" Sqn HQ, carried by LCT "5 BRAMBLE".

Name:	na-afloop-tanks-Zuidstraat.jpg
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	110204 Click image for larger version

Name:	0441.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	110205
Old 23-11-19, 17:06
MLU Administrator

Default Worthless Weasels

Quote:
A number of caissons from the Normandy Mulberry harbours were brought in to close the breach. The picture below show the breach just after it was closed, in the foreground remains of an LVT4 with Polsten gun can still be seen. Once the gap was closed, the dyke was built up further.
During the closure of the gap, an M29C Weasel was dragged out. Many Weasels sank while trying to cross the gap, they were worthless in the fast flowing seawater.

The crawler tractor which is used to drag out the Weasel is most likely each-military as well.

Name:	NL-HaNA_2.24.10.02_0_120-1155_1.jpg.jpg
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	110341 Click image for larger version

Name:	Weasel Westakapelle.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	110342
Source: http://proxy.handle.net/10648/af2323...8-003048976d84

Studying another picture of the gap pictured shortly after the battle show an overturned Weasel trapped under the steel beach defences:

Name:	NL-HaNA_2.24.01.03_0_900-2004.jpg
Size:	693.7 KB
ID:	110346 Click image for larger version

Name:	Weasel Westkapelle shoreline.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	110345
Source: http://proxy.handle.net/10648/ac053c...8-003048976d84
Old 23-11-19, 19:01
MLU Administrator

Default Misrepresenting history

In November 1944, the British disembarked three D7 Armoured Bulldozers. Two of the four Armoured Dozers fell victim to mines ashore, the fourth did not disembark (LCT Damson and its load were too damaged to land at Westkapelle, and diverted to Ostend, Belgium).

Name:	2019-10-05-rdMAG1-Landing_bij_Westkapelle_op_-3-FC_web.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	110350

Only after the war ended in May 1945, enough resources could be freed up to reconstruct the dyke. This was done by combining the techniques of traditional Dutch dyke building and heavy earth moving equipment brought in by the Allies. The dyke at Westkapelle was closed on 12 October.

Name:	1492.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	110348

Two of those bulldozers were buried under an emergency dyke. When the final dyke was completed, the two dozers were excavated one year later by the contracting company "Nieuwenhuyse and De Braal". They were kept working till 1965.

This photo shows the excavation of a bulldozer in 1946:

Name:	1529.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	110347

In 2016 Henk Meijer donated a Caterpillar D4 to the Liberation Museum in Nieuwdorp. This is presented as possibly one of the dozers which was buried in the dyke.
Obviously, this dozer is not one of those which landed in November 1944.

Name:	16-12-06-bulldozer2.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	110349

Source: http://westkapelle-beeldbank.nl/, https://www.bevrijdingsmuseumzeeland...caterpillar-d4 and others
Old 23-11-19, 22:13
John W.

Quote:
During the closure of the gap, an M29C Weasel was dragged out. Many Weasels sank while trying to cross the gap, they were worthless in the fast flowing seawater.

The crawler tractor which is used to drag out the Weasel is most likely each-military as well.
Source: http://proxy.handle.net/10648/af2323...8-003048976d84
Hanno,
Your photo would explain where this weasel came from. This photo is from a collection of photos circulated years ago showing the remains of a weasel being extracted from the sand. Cheers John W.

Name:	Buried weasel.JPG
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	110351
Old 24-11-19, 12:47

Default Armoured CAT

Hi Hanno,

The armoured Cat in the photo you posted is a D6, not a D7 (the exhaust arrangement is a clue to part them).

Cheers,
Patrice.
Old 26-11-19, 22:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice DEBUCQUOY View Post
The armoured Cat in the photo you posted is a D6, not a D7 (the exhaust arrangement is a clue to part them).
Hi Patrice, thanks for pointing that out. I do not know much about Armoured Dozers, can you recommend some good sources?

The picture I attached was taken during the landing on the north end of White Beach. Note it is named "LILIAN".

Of the four Armoured Dozers which embarked, only three disembarked of which two fell victim to mines ashore. Only one Armoured Dozer which reached the town.

The second picture shows one "at work clearing road trough what was apparently once a town". Note this is a different one than "LILIAN".

Other pictures show more than two derelict Armoured Dozers. Would they have brought in more Armoured Dozers after the initial landing on 1 November?

Thanks,
Hanno

Name:	39752.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	110431 Click image for larger version

Name:	40022.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	110434

Sources: dezb.nl, 39752 / IWM BU1270, Sgt Crocker 1-3.11.44
Old 26-11-19, 23:06

Quote:
I agree. Also, the sidewalls of the "cabin" are straight on a D6, but slightly angled on a D7.

Quote:
Hanno,
Your photo would explain where this weasel came from. This photo is from a collection of photos circulated years ago showing the remains of a weasel being extracted from the sand. Cheers John W.
John, do you have any more pics of this weasel and do you know where it went? I wonder if it has any type of mount in the rear for a Vickers K(?)
Old 26-11-19, 23:33
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
Your photo would explain where this weasel came from. This photo is from a collection of photos circulated years ago showing the remains of a weasel being extracted from the sand.
John, indeed this Weasel was dug up at Westkapelle in 1994. More info to follow later.

Hanno