MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 09-10-14, 04:59
carrier mech

Ahhh, I was going to brag, but changed my mind.
Old 09-10-14, 06:37

Default bragging

You might as well spill?
Old 09-10-14, 13:22
MUTT Guy

Feel free to brag Rob. Some of us are living vicariously through you

I'll retreat back to my personal hell of managing the expectations of 12 hour a month soldiers.....
Old 09-10-14, 14:40
Bluebell

I'm already jealous, what ever you did

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 09-10-14, 14:56

Honestly, John ... it was not rocket science. Or was it?
Old 10-10-14, 00:26
carrier mech

Started the day off with painting some freshly sandblasted CMP rims, followed by a staff meeting (oh well, the day can't be perfect), followed by lunch (mmmm, pizza). We met the crane at 1, and put this radar dish back on the roof of the 90mm fire control trailer. I had done all the prep work, so it went quickly.

I talked the crane operator into trying another lift down at the other end of the compound. The Honest John, as Micheal has alluded to, needed the rocket raised up in order to put the equilabrators back onto the launcher. In order to move it previously, the base had removed the caps for the equilabrator, cut the elevation rod, and laid the rocket and launcher down flat, supported by a railway tie. I had found the equilibrator caps hiding in a locker at the other building and wanted to put them back where they belonged.

I originally had choked a 20' sling onto the front of the launcher, but the crane operators wanted a shorter one, so I choked on a 6' sling. Up up up went the rocket and with a chain hoist I brought the equilibrators up into place, and had the launcher dropped down onto the equilibrator. With the caps installed, I was surprised that the equilibrator was supporting the load to it's maximum position. That meant the sling was up around 30 feet in the air, and we had no way of unhooking the crane from the launcher. Had they left the long sling on, I could at least have unhooked the crane from the sling.

We called CE for the bucket truck to come out and help, but after a half hour of waiting (it was 3:30 already) I decided to go to plan B. There was a 24 foot piece of 3/4 pipe conveniently laying in the grass, so I stood on the back deck, the transport guys passed me the pipe, and I was able to unchoke the sling from the end of the launcher. Minutes later the crane was on it's way, and I was able to head back to the shop and call it a day.

Today I went back and fitted an internal pipe to the elevation mechanism so the load could not come down if it got windy or something. Anyway, here are some photos of the Honest John in it's maximum elevation:

This vehicle had previously been on the Shilo sports field for some 30 years, and had suffered the wrath of many beer bottles over the years. All the glass and gauges had been smashed out of it, and the weather had taken it's toll on the interior of the cab. The Honest John was normally an open cab with a soft top, so that the top could be removed and the windshield folded and protected during firing. Here is a shot of the truck back when it was on the sport field, before it's cleanup.

Man, I love my job.
Attached Thumbnails
_Honest_John_Variant_Truck_Launcher.jpg  
Old 10-10-14, 02:53
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Started the day off with painting some freshly sandblasted CMP rims, followed by a staff meeting (oh well, the day can't be perfect), followed by lunch (mmmm, pizza).

We called CE for the bucket truck to come out and help, but after a half hour of waiting (it was 3:30 already) I decided to go to plan B. There was a 24 foot piece of 3/4 pipe conveniently laying in the grass, so I stood on the back deck, the transport guys passed me the pipe, and I was able to unchoke the sling from the end of the launcher.

Why would a long length of pipe "just" be lying next to the display pad?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-10-14, 03:42
carrier mech

Ahhh, a doubter. When I was cleaning up the truck two summers ago, I noticed the pipe laying in the grass. I think it was used as conduit for plug ins along the fence, but I am not sure. I was going to drag it away and save CE a couple lawnmower blades, but it was too long to fit on my trailer. So when this little puzzle presented itself, I mentioned to the trucker that there used to be a pipe laying along the fence, and sure enough just below the grass level, there it was. Actually, there were three. One was wayyyyy to long, one was wayyyy to short, and this one was just right.

Anything interesting at your work today Terry?
Old 21-10-14, 01:06
Alberta, Canada

Well Rob. Having spend many hours crawling on the Honest John (as well as the other artillery pieces) some forty plus years ago I can assure you that the gauges were intact when I left them. I may have left a few beer cans as I was just getting into that stage. BUT Growing up I remember me and my girl friend sitting on it.....now .......tilted up.....youngster won't have those memories. Those pieces were just dropped in a field and had not had any TLC yet. A few summers ago I had the privilege of visiting you and saw the TLC that was put into them. Job well done!!

Bob
1954 M38A1 Jeep
1954 M37 3/4 CDN FFW
1954 M37 3/4 CDN
1954 M152 CDN
1954 M135 CDN
1969 M101 3/4 trailer (2x)
1989 M101A2 3/4 trailer (3x)
1986 M105A2 1.5 trailer
1995 M116A3 1.3 trailer (7x)
1969 M416 1/4 ton trailer
1993 M100 CDN
1984 M915A1 Tractor
1984 M925 5 ton Cargo
1942 CMP C60L Chev Truck
1974 M151A2
1986 Iltis Wire
1970 M561 Gama Goat
2000 M1102 Raytheon Trailer (2x)

Bob Brown
Old 21-10-14, 04:01

Default Looks great!

Rob,
Isn't it nice to be back in the workforce again! Glad you are and for once the government hired the right man for the right job! Looking at what you got to do today at work makes my job of refuelling transit buses kinda boring now! Oh well,I have under 10 years now before retirement now and then I can come out there and volunteer my time to help you with some projects!
Great Job,
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)