MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-01-15, 23:47
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Sa/vic fires

Hi All

We have now been battling bushfires in the Adelaide Hills and in Victoria for the last 5 days and reports today are they are still not under control. The weather forecast for today is not good with the temperature again at 38 degrees with forecast thunderstorms and lightning, which of course could expand the fires to new areas due to lightning strikes. So far our location is OK as the fires are some distance from us. Some of our Club members living in the fire area have been evacuated and we do not have any reports if their properties and their restored vehicles are OK as police will not yet allow them to go home.

As in all fires their is devastation, loss of property and the heavy loss of livestock, native animals and family pets. Effected folk distressed over their ordeal. But out of each disaster there are plenty of photos showing heartbreak and loss, then you see the odd incident which makes you feel good like the photo on the front page of our daily newspaper, which I just had to share with you all.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10250.jpg  
Old 09-01-15, 11:09

Nature is giving parts of Australia a bit of a hammering of late. I believe some of the areas that were burned out are now being subjected to torrential rain. There are those who will have misery heaped on tragedy.

Meanwhile, I've just heard on the grape vine that a serious HMV enthusiast in New Zealand lost his collection in a shed fire this week. I don't know any more except that a couple of tracked, armoured vehicles may be included.

David
Old 09-01-15, 13:24
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Mother nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Nature is giving parts of Australia a bit of a hammering of late. I believe some of the areas that were burned out are now being subjected to torrential rain. There are those who will have misery heaped on tragedy.

Meanwhile, I've just heard on the grape vine that a serious HMV enthusiast in New Zealand lost his collection in a shed fire this week. I don't know any more except that a couple of tracked, armoured vehicles may be included.

David
Hi David

What a land we live in, mother nature is always dumping on us, she tries to burn us out, now we are expecting the heaviest rain in 30+ years and we are sandbagging ahead of the predicted rain and if she can't wash us away she sends us drought to starve us out, no wonder we are a tough nation. Sorry mate but after the rain hits us it will be you guys in Victoria's turn.

Cheers

Tony
Old 09-01-15, 22:33

Fortunately Tony we are at about 2,000 ft altitude and the water runs off very quickly though it tends to take our driveway with it.
Also, though the Macedon Ranges have a reputation for being fire prone, so far this summer it is still green here. In fact, at the moment it is quite soggy and I'm thinking of lighting the fire to warm the house up a bit.
Then again , maybe I could just get up off my a**e and go do something constructive outside.

Heartfelt commiserations to those who have suffered loss. (Never know when your turn is coming).

David
Old 10-01-15, 00:36
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Fortunately Tony we are at about 2,000 ft altitude and the water runs off very quickly though it tends to take our driveway with it.
Also, though the Macedon Ranges have a reputation for being fire prone, so far this summer it is still green here. In fact, at the moment it is quite soggy and I'm thinking of lighting the fire to warm the house up a bit.
Then again , maybe I could just get up off my a**e and go do something constructive outside.

Heartfelt commiserations to those who have suffered loss. (Never know when your turn is coming).

David
Hi David

Yes mate I know where you are coming from, I remember when I lived on the property, like you on top of the hill and after every rain it was out with the tractor and scraper to bring the driveway back up the hill. I hope fires and rain settle down for a while so we can all get our breath back.

Cheers

Tony