MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 29-12-20, 16:17

Default Saurer M6 truck information needed

Hi,
As this request is regarding a WW2 era Swiss built truck, I thought it better to put in here and not in the Softskin section.

I have friend who has a 1940's Saurer M6 6x6 truck. He has a user handbook but it not being in English he is finding it hard to understand. If anyone can help with an English version of manuals or possibly if anyone has already translated manuals, please let me know on here or send me a Private Message.

I do recall seeing one some years ago in the Hampshire(UK) area. Any leads on owners of Saurer M6 is very welcome.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 29-12-20, 19:24
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
Hi,
....He has a user handbook but it not being in English he is finding it hard to understand. If anyone can help with an English version of manuals or possibly if anyone has already translated manuals, please let me know on here or send me a Private Message.

.... Richard
I doubt if the Swiss ever made a manual in a fourth language on the off-chance someone three generations later might want to read it. I suggest he could use an Optical Character Reader application, such as one that often comes with flatbed scanners, and edit the outcome. The French sections would be my first choice, because English is closer to French than to German. With blocks of text, there are Internet translators, like Bing and Goofle which will confirm 'wheel nuts' and not 'while cuts', or some such legibility flubs. I've used these rather than transcribe long texts. It is easier to edit 10% than type 100%.

Then upshot, is he could turn around his labours and give the text to the Swiss national military museum as an offering for their additional help with technical questions. They are generally quite cooperative if you offer something in return.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 29-12-20, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
I doubt if the Swiss ever made a manual in a fourth language on the off-chance someone three generations later might want to read it. I suggest he could use an Optical Character Reader application, such as one that often comes with flatbed scanners, and edit the outcome. The French sections would be my first choice, because English is closer to French than to German. With blocks of text, there are Internet translators, like Bing and Goofle which will confirm 'wheel nuts' and not 'while cuts', or some such legibility flubs. I've used these rather than transcribe long texts. It is easier to edit 10% than type 100%.

Then upshot, is he could turn around his labours and give the text to the Swiss national military museum as an offering for their additional help with technical questions. They are generally quite cooperative if you offer something in return.
Hi Terry,
Thanks for this. I agree that it is unlikely that an English version of the manual was ever done, but making contact with another owner who may have already done this and someone to compare notes with it what he is looking for. They are not very well known outside of Switzerland.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor