MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 17-01-09, 14:02
Derek Heuring

Default Operational Snake

Some of you may remember an earlier thread I posted regarding the Snake, to refresh your memories the demolition "Snake" was first developed by Major MacLean, a Canadian Engineer from the 11th Field Company in October 1941. Originally nicknamed the "Worthington Wiggler" after F. F. Worthington, commander of the 1st Canadian Tank Brigade, the Snake was basically an oversized bangalore torpedo. It consisted of sections of 3-inch diameter pipe loaded with explosives, which could be coupled together in lengths up to 400 feet and pushed as a unit across a minefield ahead of a tank. The subsequent detonation would clear a path through the field. The Snake was demonstrated successfully in February and March 1942. Although the U.S. Army was equipped with a small number of them during the campaign in North Africa, the Snake was first used in combat by the U.S. 1st Armored Division on 23 May 1944 during the breakout from the Anzio Beachhead.
Previously, in 1943, J.J. Donovan, of the Royal Canadian Engineers, suggested that a tank be converted to carry the Snake mine clearing equipment and a few Churchill 3 in. Gun Carriers were converted in 1943-44 to carry Snake mine clearing equipment, a picture of which has been posted previously. Subsequent to that post, I have been looking for pictures of the Snake being used operationally and my search was recently rewarded when I found a picture on ebay of the Snake being used to clear a minefield in France. Although the M4 doesn't appear to have been modified to be a "Snake Carrier", the concept of using a tank to push the Snake across the minefield is amply displayed. The beauty of the Snake concept is that any size pipe could be used, so whatever was handy was packed full of explosive and used. In this picture, the Engineers have packed 4" pipe full of 1000 lbs of Composition "C", a mixture of RDX and a plasticized binder.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Snake 1.JPG