MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-04-09, 18:09

Default Right light for a CMP??

Hi
What is the right light for the back of my CMP and any one have a paire forsale?
thx
Eric
Old 29-04-09, 18:22

I think the first question anyone is going to ask you is the date of manufacture of your vehicle.

Lights come in the early war rubber pattern and the later war metal pattern.

Unless he has sold out Dirk has both types for sale.
Old 29-04-09, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
I think the first question anyone is going to ask you is the date of manufacture of your vehicle.

Lights come in the early war rubber pattern and the later war metal pattern.

Unless he has sold out Dirk has both types for sale.
Hi,
I have both type of CMP need all the infot on the early and later pattern
Old 30-04-09, 02:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Cab 11 and 12 have a rubber bodied lamp, with a red lens for the rear and clear or opaque lens for the front. Blackout masking is by a steel disc with a small hole that fits under the rubber lip. These contain a single filament bulb, and there are two as Tail lights on either side and a 3rd one is fitted to the right side as a Brake light.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2108.JPG   IMG_2109.JPG  
Old 30-04-09, 02:30
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Cab 13 has a steel tube style lamp, and again these are fitted with single filament bulbs with one either side as Tail lights, and a 3rd for Brake. These feature a red lens on the rear and a white lens on the front. The same lamp is used with an extension tube for convoy illumination of the rear differential.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4041.JPG   IMG_4045.JPG  
Old 30-04-09, 06:33

Default Rear lights on cab number 13

Hello

I would to ask a question about CMP LIGHTS for a cab 13 FORD F60L. On the dash board we have a serial of switch witch are (from top to bottom) PANEL LIGHT, SIDE, SIDE AND TAIL, SIDE TAIL AND HEAD , STOP ISOLATION.
When SIDE switch and TAIL SWITCH are in ON position that means than the lights on front mudguard are lighted and also the lights on the rear of the truck (One on each side)
I would like to know how many lights where designed for STOP (One on each side ?)

Regards Serge
Old 30-04-09, 11:13
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Stop light

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Hello

I would to ask a question about CMP LIGHTS for a cab 13 FORD F60L. On the dash board we have a serial of switch witch are (from top to bottom) PANEL LIGHT, SIDE, SIDE AND TAIL, SIDE TAIL AND HEAD , STOP ISOLATION.
When SIDE switch and TAIL SWITCH are in ON position that means than the lights on front mudguard are lighted and also the lights on the rear of the truck (One on each side)
I would like to know how many lights where designed for STOP (One on each side ?)

Regards Serge
There was only one stop light on the right side.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-04-09, 11:25

Hi,
OK thanks i don't think the like are street legal so if i wan to put the truck on the road i have to put something bigger
Old 30-04-09, 12:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Hello

Regards Serge
To elaborate on what Keith has said, there is only one Brake or Stop lamp fitted, inboard of the R side tail lamp. This lights up when the brake pedal is pressed, but the STOP ISOLATION switch disconnects the lamp circuit as a blackout precaution, ie the brakes still operate, but the Stop light does NOT illuminate.

There is also another switch in the TAIL lighting circuit, on Fords a toggle switch near the rear crossmember, and on Chevs a push on/off dip switch on the right rear chassis rail. On both vehicles when the dashboard TAIL light switch is on, this switch switches between the 2 rear red Tail lights and the white Convoy lamp over the rear differential.
Attached Thumbnails
K04-37-1.JPG  
Old 30-04-09, 12:31
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default lights

I recall when auto surplus in Mitcham ( then part of the Hancock group ) , had cartons of those early CMP rubber tailights ..they were 2$ per light .At the time I thought they were too dear ! That place was a goldmine of bits ... NOS generic US WW2 tailights were $5 new in the box ..

The guy on the counter told me once.."we are scrapping a large container of NOS Stude US6 shock absorbers cos we cannot sell them." they had NOS wiring looms too , for : US WW2 jeep trailers and stude. The NOS stude headlights in cartons .. I used to drill off the bases and bolt on the 1/2 ton WC Dodge bases. The trico generic US WW2 vacuum wiper motors ,all packed up 2 to a box for $10 brand new. new arms and blades were $2. NOS fuel pumps fro the stude and Dodge were $10 . They had White scout car bits too, NOS stuff like instrument cluster and speedometers. This was around 1980.
Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 30-04-09, 19:21

Default Rear lights on f60l

Hello

I thank you for all your answers about the rear lights. Nevertheless at the rear of the body of my F60L there is two holes on each side and the distance beetwen each hole on a side is the same on the other side.
The plate which hold these lights can be mounted on right or left side using what it's seems to be original holes;

I have to add than My F60L has been builded in CANADA and that it's a late model with circular roof hatch

Thanks to all
Attached Thumbnails
FEUX_ARRIERES.jpg  
Old 30-04-09, 19:42

Quote:
Nevertheless at the rear of the body of my F60L there is two holes on each side and the distance beetwen each hole on a side is the same on the other side.
The plate which hold these lights can be mounted on right or left side using what it's seems to be original holes;
I can't say that there was never a CMP made with both brake and tail lights on each side, but I can say that I haven't seen one that had them that I could be 100% sure had never been modified since it left the factory. It would have been easy to exchange the mounting plate with one light for one with two lights and add a length of wire to make a safety addition to have tail and brake lights on each side. Once you've done this it shouldn't be hard to imagine using some of the bulbs as signals by adding a bit more wire and the control.
Even though having only the original lights may be legal, I suggest that anyone driving their CMP on today's roads should consider having larger, brighter tail lights, you should make them removable for shows so that people can see just how much standards have changed.
Old 01-05-09, 03:47
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Nevertheless at the rear of the body of my F60L there is two holes on each side and the distance beetwen each hole on a side is the same on the other side.

Thanks to all
That is the correct mounting bracket that was used on both sides, but there was only one Brake lamp fitted to the right hand side:
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 van body (cdn) b.jpg  
Old 01-05-09, 07:09

Default Rear lights

Hello

I thank you very much for the pic of the rear view of the F15. So with your pic, my question has an answer and the right and left braket are the same which explain why on my truck the hole were the same on each side og the raer of the body.
MAPLE LEAF UP a so usefull forum !!!!

Regards Serge
Old 11-02-12, 04:45
Lionel G. Evans

Default Right Lights front and rear for Australian Army 1940 MCP Chev

Hello All and apologies to Eric,

Since there are already some photos of convoy lights on Eric's thread it might be easy to ask another question about the correct lights.

What are the correct convoy lights for a 1940 Army Modified Civilian Pattern Chevrolet with a Holden built cab?

This includes brake, tail and if fitted indicator lights? This would also include the light that shone on the rear differential too.

Where on the truck were these convoy and brake/stop/tail lights fitted on the MCP Chevy's in 1940?

Does anyone have some more photos they could post up? Thank you in advance for your help.

Finally what switches were used inside the cab to control the convoy lights; did they have their own circuit and switches and where were they located?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 11-02-12 at 04:50.
Old 11-02-12, 05:19
Lionel G. Evans

Default Current Stop/brake light

Hello fellow MLU-ers,

I attached some photographs of the only lights that were still on the Chevy when I got it. The front shot shows the headlights and the clearance lights. The little lights on the mudguard (fender) are not turn signal lights.

The centre spot light at the front is most likely an aftermarket fitting as the wiring is not hooked up very neatly or held securely.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
Brakelight  1.jpg   Brakelight  2.jpg   Front.jpg  
Old 12-02-12, 05:42

Default light

The few modified commercials that have come thru my hands had the tail light blacked out by a switch on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
mod cmp 001.jpg   mod cmp 002.jpg   mod cmp 003.jpg  
Old 12-02-12, 07:16

Default Since we are talking about lights!

Seeing this thread relates to lights/stop lights, convoy lights etc I thought I might seek some advice.

My C8AX still runs 6V but has tail lights and indicators fitted, along with the convoy light and side lights. Everything works fine for about 10 minutes and once the engine gets hot nothing seems to work except indicators. Headlights, tail lights and side lights all dont work and neither does the dash illumination light.

Turn everything off - let the thing stand for a couple of hours then come out, start her up every thing works again for another 10-15 minutes.

Any ideas?

I've checked all the connections, pulled out and cleaned all the bulbs, checked connections to the back of the instrument cluster etc so I defer you the wealth of knowledge of the forum.

Cheers

Pete
Avid Military historian & traveller

From Gallipoli and the Somme, Tobruk and Kakoda, through to Timor, the Gulf and now into Afghanistan remember the supreme sacrifice made by other so we can live our lives in peace and freedom, be proud of those who serve. Lest We Forget.
Old 12-02-12, 13:47

Hi Pete. That certainly sounds to be an intriguing problem and I would guess that you have a thermal circuit breaker with too low a setting or the system is experiencing an overload and the breaker is doing what it ought to.

I think the way to proceed would be to get to work with a test light when the power is disrupted and find the point where it stops. I'm not familiar with CMPs but US military vehicles had the CB mounted on the main light switch. The fact that your trafficators still operate also makes sense because they are an add-on and obviously not getting power from the light switch but probably direct from the ammeter or ignition switch.

David
Old 12-02-12, 14:00
Lionel G. Evans

Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNeill View Post
The few modified commercials that have come thru my hands had the tail light blacked out by a switch on the dash.
G'day Bob,

thank you for the photos.

Kind Regards
Lionel