MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-02-07, 12:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
Cliff
I have o old tamiya kit of the carrier i started years ago and lost interest, i think you will only require the tracks and axles the body will be of no use. I can get them apart and post the said items on to you
chers
Les
Thanks Les. I will need all the bogie assembles, tracks (although I would prefer AM ones for this) and the drive sprockets.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> just got home and will catch up more fully later

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 28-02-07, 12:46
RIP

Default Phoenix Truck

Hi Wayne
Thanks for your input. A C30 would make it 24" shorter which would be good as I looked at a C60L last night and it was a big mother. I have to do some measurements on the Carrier track length and compare it. Cliff may also come up with a suggestion as he is very good on converting images to measurements. Steering is another quandry, would the vehicle steer by just using the steer wheels or would the tracks also need manipulating as in the Carrier. Questions, questions.
Bob
Old 28-02-07, 13:01

Bob to do a fairly accurate scale measurement from photos I need a full (or near enough to) side view as then I can scale the length of the tracks by using the cab length as an indicator.

So we need to see if we can find a full side view photo.

Cheers
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
Old 28-02-07, 13:05
RIP

Default Re. Photographs

Hi Cliff
At this stage the only photographs I know of are the ones on Keefy's site.
Bob
Old 28-02-07, 13:35

Default Halftrack

Photos Ex Mike Cecil

Pedr
Attached Thumbnails
mlujailbarhalftrack.jpg  
Old 28-02-07, 13:38
RIP

Thanks Pedr but the wrong truck.
BTW did you get my PM on the travel movements of Kartmann & Jiff.
Bob
Old 28-02-07, 13:40

From behind

Notice the lack of steering on the front wheels

Sorry about the picture quality Bob.

Pedr
Attached Thumbnails
mluhalftrackrear.jpg  
Old 28-02-07, 14:05

Default Half-ies

Bob,

Don't know if you keep magazines...but checkout MVCSSA's "Olive Drab" magazine February 2002 ( Volume 1 Number 7 )

On page 8 is an article on these exact vehicles written by Mike Cecil. He mentions that it is a C60S, and a 218T Ford and that they also converted a K6 International.

"At least three two wheel drive "lorries" were converted to half-track configuration. These were a 1940 Chevrolet, an International K6, and a 1942 Ford Model 218T. Both the Ford and International were converted to half-track using locally manufactured Machine Gun Carrier bogies and steel tracks, while the Chevrolet used a combination of Machine Gun Carrier steel tracks and a suspension unit similar to the Marmon Herrington 2-man "Hercules" light tank."

On skimming this article again Bob, you really need to read it. If you don't have it anymore I will try to bring a copy when I see you.

Pedr

PS will give you a ring on the Weekend
Old 28-02-07, 20:54

Default Re: Re. Photographs

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Cliff
At this stage the only photographs I know of are the ones on Keefy's site.
Bob
That's OK mate we will just have to keep looking but I will start with what we have.

Keefy any chance of some high quality scans of those pics please?

Cheers
Cliff

Old 01-03-07, 12:46
RIP

Default Mike's Article

Thanks Pedr. I don't have that copy so I would be interested to read it. I've had contact with Mike but he didn't mention this. I'll speak to him at Corowa. At least the C-60S and C30 have the same wheelbase but of course the former is a three tonner with the latter being a 30cwt. What makes them different, stronger springs, superstructure or what?

Give me a call before they arrive weekend as we are planning some activities and if you are interested you can RV with us.

Bob
Old 01-03-07, 14:06

Default Project Phoenix

Bob, I'm sure we have some photos of these in our archives. I will chase up what I can for you. I will be at the Musuem tomorrow afternoon, ( the actual paying job keeps me away most of the week). I will be there on the Wed afternoon, all day Thurs and Fri prior to Corowa.
I believe that there will be the usual exodus to Bandi's on that Thurs or Fri anyway.
Let me know if you will be coming over & I will put the kettle on and we can go through whatever information we can find. It seems our workshop has become a halfway house for those lost souls that have been bitten by the MV bug to stop and drink coffee all through the year. So you are most welcome anytime.
Old 01-03-07, 14:16
RIP

Hi Ian
Whenever I get to Corowa I always stay in the park and don't do the tours. To me getting together with the guy/gals once a year is what it is all about. I've never been to Bandi but would make it a special trip independant of Corowa. So I'll put it onto you or one of your subalterns to do the Bandi research for me. If you have any holdings on Monegeeta, that's where the information should be.

Bob
Old 20-03-07, 10:58
RIP

Default Rear Hub and Sprocket

Hi all
I need assistance in identifying the hub and sprocket. It's not standard Carrier as I know it. Is it from an LP1?

Tim Tam - apart from the scripting, it appears to be similar to the mystery hub that Ian had and you photographed. Can you shed any further light?

Bob
Attached Images

Old 20-03-07, 11:06
RIP

Default Truck ARN

The ARN of the truck is 74150. Who has the where-with-all to id everything known about this truck from the ARN?

Bob
Attached Images

Old 20-03-07, 14:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Rear Hub and Sprocket

Quote:
Hi all
I need assistance in identifying the hub and sprocket. It's not standard Carrier as I know it. Is it from an LP1?

Bob
Bob, with the 8 wheel studs, this appears similar to the C15 Hub/Axle combination used on the "Tracked Truck, 1 ton", although the Wheel Disc is different.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1229-2.jpg  
Old 20-03-07, 15:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Rear Hub and Sprocket

Quote:
Tim Tam - apart from the scripting, it appears to be similar to the mystery hub that Ian had and you photographed. Can you shed any further light?
Bob, I have replied to this as a new thread; HERE
Old 24-03-07, 10:00
RIP

Default Rear Hub

Hi all
I've been comparing the Phoenix hub with the data in MB-C1. I think what they did was to fabricate a circular plate, mount the sprocket on the inside of it and bolted it to the hub utilising the eight holding bolts. It seems to be the most simple and logical answer.

What do you think?

Bob
Old 24-03-07, 10:13

Default bugger me...

You are not going to believe this but I have just taken 2 photo's of sprokets I have hoping to have someone identify & they are the sprockets as pictured above. Was going to post them on monday night hoping somebody recognized them. Came off a diff I aquired a year or so ago off a local farm, and I was hoping someone would recognise them & be able to supply some drums to match. Uses a STD carrier sprocket on what appears to be a truck drum & hub with hydraulic brakes, no hand brake fitted but the provision is there in the backing plates. When I load them onto my computer at work monday I will post them....... perhaps there is a tracked truck remains to be found. All that was at the farm was this carrier-ish diff complete & a pile of tracks. I had always assumed it was a strickland..........

Rob Dyba
Old 24-03-07, 10:33
RIP

Default Strickland Sprocket

Hi Rob
This is the Strickland hub/sprocket set up. However if what you have is identical to what I was trying to identify, I'm on my way.
Bob
Attached Images

Old 24-03-07, 13:23

Default is exactly what is shown

The sprocket/drums are identical as in the black & white photo. Same number of studs, inner hub shape, even the machining grooves as in the photo. Will post piccs monday as my PC at home has no serial port, and the camera cable is at work also. Interestingly the drive sprockets are the same distance as a normal carrier IE the hub,drum & sprocket would be a direct replacment for a common carrier sprocket as far as the track is concerned. The diff they came from has a flat pinion drive flange (to accept a tail-shaft). The 8 bolts shown when viewed from inside the drum are not wheel studs specifically, just normal hex bolt heads. If we can ID the drums & inner flange from whatever truck they came from I see no problem reproducing a exact copy, and as it uses a normal carrier sprocket you should have a couple of those lying around by now Bob. I dug this diff up (literally) and used the hub bearings on my carrier, and was keeping the diff as a spare one as it still turns. For my next project the sprockets were perfect, hence the need to find out what drums are fitted (drums have rust holes in them).

Rob
Old 24-03-07, 13:51
RIP

Default Possible Breakthrough

Hi Rob
This is all fantastic. You are right, I have a new set of sprockets, in fact I now have all the Carrier componants required. At this stage I suspect the hub was from the C60L. I will be waiting on tenderhooks for your images.
Bob
Old 24-03-07, 22:06

Default Re: Possible Breakthrough

Quote:
I will be waiting on tenderhooks for your images.
Me too

Cliff

Old 25-03-07, 04:47
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: is exactly what is shown

Quote:
Originally posted by robobmc
The sprocket/drums are identical as in the black & white photo. Same number of studs, inner hub shape, even the machining grooves as in the photo. Interestingly the drive sprockets are the same distance as a normal carrier IE the hub,drum & sprocket would be a direct replacment for a common carrier sprocket as far as the track is concerned. The diff they came from has a flat pinion drive flange (to accept a tail-shaft). The 8 bolts shown when viewed from inside the drum are not wheel studs specifically, just normal hex bolt heads. If we can ID the drums & inner flange from whatever truck they came from I see no problem reproducing a exact copy, ....
Rob
Sounds like the rear axle is from a Tracked Truck, 1 ton! This was driven from the engine/trans located in the front right corner by a propshaft to the rear diff. There were only 12 made, and only 2 are known to have survived, so go back to where you got the diff and GET DIGGING!
Oddly, the two remaining examples and all the original pics of the tracked truck feature the "Dished" wheel disc as pictured above.

PS to Bob: Don't you think the chassis of the Tracked Truck bears some resemblence to Project Phoenix??
Attached Thumbnails
img_1234-1.jpg  

Last edited by Tony Smith; 25-03-07 at 04:54.
Old 25-03-07, 08:55
RIP

Default Possibly Tracked Truck

Hi Tony
Yes I was thinking that this may be the case. However being the eternal optimist maybe it is the remains of the tracked blitz. And yes Rob GET DIGGING, if its' Phoenix remains they are mine, tracked truck, you can keep it..
Bob
Old 25-03-07, 09:05

Rear sprockets as promished...
Attached Thumbnails
sprockets1.jpg  
Old 25-03-07, 09:08

Normal bolts hold drive plate, drum & hub together
Attached Thumbnails
sprocket2.jpg  
Old 25-03-07, 09:12

Standard carrier sprocket used. If anyone can identify the drums I want 2 useable drums & backing plate/hardware for another "project" bieng embarked on.......
Attached Thumbnails
sprocket3.jpg  
Old 25-03-07, 09:17

Diff is not tracked truck, centre is "central' & of a different to piccs of truck available. The tracked truck has the diff offset same as the motor to avoid tailshaft vibration, so as to what this diff came from the gearbox or drive would logically also be located central. Note the drive flange, anyone recognise it????
Attached Thumbnails
diff1.jpg  
Old 25-03-07, 09:23

And finally hydraulic brakes fitted. original fittings for brakes are in my possesion, only the brake shoes are missing, disposed of when I thought it was common truck stuff I would never need. I remember the day they were binned, I stood with them in my hands for ages before deciding "I have enough crap in the shed" & "I'll never need these..."

sigh......

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
diff3.jpg  
Old 25-03-07, 09:35

Default In summary......

I will go & see if I can find your Aussie half track body Bob, the place the diff came from has reciently had a good clean-up, and sent several CMP wrecks off for scrap, several were left where they lay. I will have a close look next time I am there, as up to now I was only there to work on a couple of the tanks and the only truck stuff I took note of was what was applicable to carriers. There was no CMP with carrier wheels on it, I would have noticed that but there was a Blitz that had no rear wheels & from a picc I have had funny brackets mid-chassis. Unfortunately it is a camera phone pic & not clear. If the 1/2 track is there I will let you know. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get there. If you can source the brake drums & hubs the flat steel drive plate would be a simple engineering job and I will do accurate measurements for you & put them here for all.

Rob