MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-03-08, 03:23

Default RAF Radar

Didn't know where to put this, so I started something new. My 15 year old son thinks that it is "sad" that his father gets excited about pictures of "Army lorrys"
Another shot from http://omahabeach.mulberry.free.fr/ this said to bepart of the GCI unit which landed with the US troops at Omaha - seems to be right to me
Attached Thumbnails
Radar at Omaha.jpg  
Old 18-03-08, 21:47

Hi Noel

Now thats a strange photo a RAF Crossly Q tractor trailer combination in US service, quite possible though as the US were supplied a number of British vehicles on reverse lend lease. It still sports a RAF number
cheers
Les
Old 18-03-08, 23:11

I would say it was not a reverse Lend Lease vehicle but an RAF unit attached to the US forces landing at Omaha Beach but then again I may be wrong as well but if the truck was in US service I am sure the RAF numbers and name would have been painted out.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 19-03-08, 00:51

Clif is correct. There was an RAF Radar unit landed at Omaha {type 15 Radar}, some of the vehicles landed on D Day - many of which were damaged (cant find a referance right now but I know there is something on the BBC "peoples War" site) The picture I posted will probably be one of the units which landed later.

Here are pictures of a Type 13 (sory about the poor qualiy) and then a model of a Type 15
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 19-03-08, 01:00

Default RAF Radar

Gents, the MoD website states a GCI unit landed late on D-Day, I don't think there is anything really unusual about an RAF vehicle emerging from a USN craft. Loads were prioritised for the first few days, as usual the US had greater capacity. The trailer is still a bit of a mystery, most of the office type bodies of the mobile radar units of 2 TAF were on rigid Crossley Qs. With the Austin K6s coming along later. The artic trailer shown is more akin to a MFPU convoy, but as with many of the unglamerous units, period photo are few and far between.
TED