MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-09, 18:55

Default Carrier on Milweb

If this price is achieved whats an original complete example now worth?

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/47690/
Old 11-06-09, 21:50

Default Wtf?

And what precious metal is it made of? Is he trying to get a loan against it?
Old 11-06-09, 22:41

I would say any metal in the form of a carrier is precious. prices in the UK have gone up drasticaly in the last few years. Best of luck selling it Barry. Did you get it from Martyn?

Last edited by shaun; 11-06-09 at 22:42. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-09, 01:27

Default carrier prices

Here is a question for you all HOW MUCH IS A CARRIER WORTH?

whats it matter if its 65 years old or 6 months old the last carrier i saw on milweb was up for 45,000 euro. i have heard of carriers being sold for £25,000 that are sill in need of new linkages and a full strip down. you have to ask your self if your going to buy a carrier' would you want to spend 25k on sumthing you might have to spend lets say another 3k on before you can use it. just for the sake of saying its an original. would you prefer to spend less and have a new hull made from original pattens with original parts on it and lets face it in a year or two whos going to know after a few coats of paint. but atleast with a new hull you havent got to worry about falling though the foor.
also how many carriers have had new top armour nearly every one that ive seen has been cut down.kinda like jeeps one original part and its a ww2 original phillipeno built jeep?
I spent a long time ringing up dealers and asking if they had any carriers for sale and what condition they were in and whats included the replys made me fall of my chair for example phoned a well known dealer in the uk asked how much there cheepet carrier was etc reply (7500 that was for a lower rotted out hull, no tracks, 2 suspention units & broken springs, no top armour no rear axle) you do the maths?
if your worried that my building of a new hull is going to affect the prices i think you need to find a new hobbie as were not in this for money, its all about KEEPING HISTORY ALIVE the the price barry has that hull up for is about what its cost to build, rivet, and make new linkages. Barry and i set out on are carrier projects not to sell but to keep for our personal use but the unforseen has happened.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1568.jpg   DSCF1582.jpg   DSCF1620.jpg   DSCF1654.jpg   DSCF3389.jpg  

Old 12-06-09, 09:06
Adrian Barrell

But is it 'keeping history alive' when it's a new build hull that didn't even exist a year ago?

I have nothing against what you're doing and agree with you regarding most restored vehicles having some new material, that is almost inevitable. I had to section some new plate into my Sherman.

However, I do feel we should document what we are doing, as you are so that in a few years time and a few coats of paint later, we still know the truth about our vehicles.
Old 12-06-09, 09:17

Hi Guys,
I have not posted hear before, but have been watching from the sidelines, waiting to pounce on a restoration project.

Just felt i had to comment on this, I fully agree with you Martyn, prices are very hi at the moment, and i'm sure they will keep rising (but you have just blow the argumment " that they are not making any more" out of the water.)

I have tried to buy many carriers over the last few years but all have been out of my reach (i does appear to be a closed shop). The work you have carried out on the new hull looks great, i hate to think how many hours you have spent. I just wish i had the funds spare. there will always be the individuals who do not appericiate (spelling?) the amount of work that goes into such a restoration, as in war bird restorations many have totaly new airframes etc.

We are all entitled to our own views, but do not be put off by a few negative comments. one day i would like to be able have you build me a carrier (but dont hold your breath at the moment, lack of funds).

Does anybody know exactly how many carriers are left in the world ???

Ian Smith-Wilson
(hopefully a carrier owner one day, If anybody knows of a carrier for restoration in the UK or even Canada please let me know )
Old 12-06-09, 10:11
Adrian Barrell

I am one who thinks it does matter whether it is 65 years or 6 months old. Given a choice, most buyers will want the more 'original' vehicle and prices will generally reflect this. I'm not talking about condition but originality.

All restorations will incorporate new parts to some degree, that is inevitable but it concerns my that new build vehicles are seen as being the same as an original example. Yes, they are both carriers but surely not of equal historical importance.

I stress again, I have nothing against new build, it is a way of having more vehicles and seeing again some extinct examples as is being seen in the aircraft world. They are what they are however and as long as we are open about it if and when we sell, there is no problem. If you are doing it for yourself, as Martyn is then he only has himself to please and looking at his pics he has a lot to be proud of.
Old 12-06-09, 13:27

Default original or not ?

I do understand theres a special feeling knowing that your military vehicle was used and has seen some kind of action be it in ww2 or the gulf.
This new hull is not ment nor was it our intention to slip it in to the market as a original. I would like to think who ever buys it will have just as much fun using it as i will have with mine.
keeping history alive its the same as watching a ww2 living history group most kit and uniforms are repro but we all accept this and nobody argues about it i have a friend who has a stuart m5 the turret is a compleete repro with original parts on it you wouldnt know with out asking?
I would like to thank all the people who have spurd me on with the great comments about the rebuild of my carrier and the new build project, I have gained a new look on the war years whilst building these vehicles that is about the people and time it takes to build such a vehicle i would like to think this new build is a testerment to the hidded forces who spent long dirty days in factorys all over with out them where would we be to day?
If it sounds like iam a ranting idiot so be it iam proud of my progress with my carrier and the new build project at the end of the day we have acheived sumthing that a lot of people could only dream of we have built a vehicle that we wanted.
Old 12-06-09, 14:40
Taisto Hako-oja

Here Here. Mine is all original and I would park it beside yours with honour.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 12-06-09, 14:48
Richard Harrison

Martyn, are you sure that is all you want for her ? cheaper than a family saloon !

value is in the eye of the beholder, iam sure Martyn would advise any prospective buyer that the carrier is scratch built. infact this makes a great selling point (only Mk1 ever done) so it is unique, yes it has not fought in any wars however many carriers original or otherwise never made it to the front lines most out there have been surplus often bought up at the end of the war by forestry or mining authorities. i say this as a general rule as i know that my grandads regiment give they're carriers to the russians at the end of his tour....so they will all be destroyed by now i suppose.

if i had the cash Martyn i would have it mind rightly or wrongly it would be to pillage the armour from it, i am sorry your predicament means the sale of this but needs must and all that.......anyway you and Shaun will look better in convoy with ure fancy Mk2's hahahaha

still a good buy i reckon guys a nice clean one to work on !

cheers

Rich

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).