MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 15-11-11, 05:30
RIP

Default Protec Khaki Green No.3

Hi all - let the confusion disappear. I attended the Adelaide factory today after learning my main contact, Andy, had left taking with him valuable customer information. Hence the confusion in recent times trying to access this paint. Anyway it is all sorted out.

If you need this paint contact Protec on 08 8447 6311 and ask for David King who is the colour matcher/mixer. Quote the colour name of Satin Khaki Green No.3 T/S and my name, Bob Moseley. The base paint is Protec Equipment Enamel 304. It takes about a week from order due to the satin process. They accept credit card over the telephone and will deliver to their interstate stores.

Bear in mind this is my interpretation of the colour, based on my 2001 restoration of a Bren Gun Carrier where I found a patch of this colour in a sun and weather unexposed area.

If you have any problems with Protec, contact me and I will sort it out.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 15-11-11, 10:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Thanks

Thank you Bob as ambassador for the Khaki movement.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-01-12, 19:35
Vlad Ganshin

Did this "Nr 3" use on English production vehicles only?
How about Americans?
Especially Macks?
Old 10-01-12, 11:43
RIP

Default KG No.3

Hi Slava - this was the colour used in Australia in the early 1940s before variations of Olive Drab came into vogue. Most American trucks I have seen were a deep bronze green.

Bob
Old 10-01-12, 16:03
Vlad Ganshin

Hi Bob!

I had my question not quite by chance.
I met a note in a book about military Mack trucks that model LMSW of 1941-42 was painted at factory British Khaki No.3.
It was stranged me because all another trucks in the book described as Olive Drab or Coronado Tan.
Old 11-01-12, 04:08

Colour depended on the contract. Mack trucks supplied under British purchasing commission (BPC) contracts were painted in Brit standard camouflage green, while those for US contracts were completed in US Deep Olive Drab.

Upon arrival in Australia (Australia recd Lend Lease vehicles by 'bidding' against supply contracts placed by the BPC, who decided who got what of the available vehicles), they were painted overall at the time of their assembly by the Australian assembly contractor. The Australian Govt issued a Contract Demand for assembly of CKD vehicles that included a paint specification. The paint spec for those assembled in Oz was invariably Khaki Green No.3 as the base colour, of which there were two 'shades' during the course of the war. Specs also included a disruptive colour if required for a particular vehicle type.

Mike C
Old 11-01-12, 13:49
Vlad Ganshin

Too interesting Mike.
May be I'm not so good educated in questions of a shipement, but you noted CKD. I know only PartlyKD. What this "C" means?
And what is the second color of British standard camouflage green?
I'm in interest of Mack trucks mostly and red about Coronado Tan color for vehicles with destination of Australia.
Vlad.
Old 11-01-12, 16:24

Hi Vlad,

CKD = Complete Knock Down, ie boxes with the major unit assemblies packed inside.

Interesting you have a ref for 'Coronado Tan': perhaps that equates to the Khaki Brownish colour found on some CMPs, too? Will have to look into that further. My post was, of course, a broad generalisation: there were exceptions.

Mike C
Old 11-01-12, 22:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
CKD = Complete Knock Down, ie boxes with the major unit assemblies packed inside.
To be more precise, may I quote from an earlier posting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
CKD packs were not made up from previously assembled vehicles broken down for shipment, but basically they comprised the necessary numbers of subassemblies and parts for a given quantity of chassis. So the receiving assembly plant could mix 'n match components to whatever configuration was needed (this would also explain data plates with only chassis and contract numbers). Availability of components most likely played a role in how batches of trucks were put together to fill orders.

(*) CKD: Completely Knocked Down. CKD should not be confused with trucks being encased, after first being 'knocked down' as much as considered practical. CKD was restricted to destinations where the manufacturers had proper assembly plants. CKD entailed the supply of parts which could not - or not economically - be produced locally, supplemented by parts which could. Besides packing methods for trucks that had to be reassembled on arrival, the CKD-pack method was also used but this entailed parts and components which had not been assembled before and then dismantled for shipment. They comprised the necessary numbers of subassemblies and parts for a given quantity of chassis which would be assembled in much the same way as it was done in the Canadian factory.
Usually large trucks like the Mack were not shipped CKD, only partly knocked down. Read the articles on this subject in Wheels & Tracks magazine.

H.
Old 11-01-12, 22:52

My mistake: insert PKD in place of CKD in my post.

At least a proportion of CMPs arriving in Oz were certainly CKD (Ford chassis arrived in 'packs of 5', for example).

But Hanno is correct: most others arrived as PKDs by the definition he has provided, and assembled by local companies under Aust Govt contract. Lanes Motors, for example, were one of several awarded assembly contracts for jeeps.

Mike C
Old 12-01-12, 20:50
Vlad Ganshin

Thank you for lection.
History of my own country conteins most facts of WW2 from Russian front.
Lend Lease questions were not popularised too in times of Soviet Union. Although I'm interesting WW2 vehicles for only last 2 years since I have one.
Old 03-02-12, 03:36
Lew Skelton

Default How much paint is reqd

Hi Bob, I just came across this info about paint colours, was reading thru and spotted that you had painted a carrier, around about how much paint is required to paint a carrier?
Thanks, Lew
Old 03-02-12, 11:47
RIP

Default Paint Quantity

Hi Lew - according to 1943 Regs. six pints (@ 3.3lts) of base colour were required. To be safe I would obtain 2 x 4lts.

Bob
Old 04-02-12, 01:42
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Lanes Motors, for example, were one of several awarded assembly contracts for jeeps.

Mike C
Lanes Motors, being the official Victorian Morris distributor , also had first option on the surplus Morris Commercial vehicles ( CS8 and PU's ) the Govt. disposed of in 1945 , while the war was still on . Lanes typically used a cheap grey paint ( which quickly flaked off ) over the military livery before they passed the vehicles on to various country agents . Each small Morris agency got a half dozen or so CS8's to flog off to essential users. My PU has traces of the grey paint still hanging on . This info is first hand from a chap who's father worked at the local Morris agency ( Whittlesea), and he bought a CS8 there, it was traded in for a new Land Rover in 1952 .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad