MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 08-01-17, 20:42

Default Service number

Hello,

maybe this is a stupid question. But is there a way to get more information of a soldier who served with the Canadian army during the second world war just by his service number and/or his full name?

The soldier i'm talking about survived the war.

Any kind of tips are welcome !

Many thanks in advance !
Old 08-01-17, 20:51

Hi

The Regimental Number of a member of the Canadian Army in WW2 notes Region (the Letter) and Number (assigned in blocks to Units) and can be used to determine what Unit the soldier signed up with. This doesn't neccessarily mean that's the Unit that they served with as Regt'l Number stayed with the member regardless of transfers etc. Merely where and who they signed up with.

I have a roll. If you care to give me the Number and can tell you what I know.

regards
Darrell
Old 08-01-17, 20:59
MLU Administrator

Andy,

Please see Geoff's tips & hints here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/locator/research.html

HTH,
Hanno
Old 08-01-17, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
Hi

The Regimental Number of a member of the Canadian Army in WW2 notes Region (the Letter) and Number (assigned in blocks to Units) and can be used to determine what Unit the soldier signed up with. This doesn't neccessarily mean that's the Unit that they served with as Regt'l Number stayed with the member regardless of transfers etc. Merely where and who they signed up with.

I have a roll. If you care to give me the Number and can tell you what I know.

regards
Darrell
Hey Darrell,

the number is E-615151. Thanks !
Old 08-01-17, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Andy,

Please see Geoff's tips & hints here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/locator/research.html

HTH,
Hanno
Hey Hanno,

thx for the link !
Old 09-01-17, 14:27

Hi Andy

The letter "E" indicate that the soldier enlisted in Eastern Quebec Province, Military District #5. The number falls within the Block assigned(615001-620000) to No 54 Basic Training Centre.

Great book on Army Regimental Numbers 1936-60 available through Member Clive Law here: http://www.servicepub.com/

I hope this is of some help to you. Am I correct that you have a piece of kit with a number on it but no name?

You could ask for the file alone based on the Regimental Number but I am not sure what you'd get. If they did send something then likely it would be heavily redacted for personal info as there is no proof of death more than 20 years ago. If your request is succesful though, you would then have a name. I have never asked for a file based on Regt'l Number alone.

regards
Darrell
Old 09-01-17, 19:25

Quote:
Hi Andy

The letter "E" indicate that the soldier enlisted in Eastern Quebec Province, Military District #5. The number falls within the Block assigned(615001-620000) to No 54 Basic Training Centre.

Great book on Army Regimental Numbers 1936-60 available through Member Clive Law here: http://www.servicepub.com/

I hope this is of some help to you. Am I correct that you have a piece of kit with a number on it but no name?

You could ask for the file alone based on the Regimental Number but I am not sure what you'd get. If they did send something then likely it would be heavily redacted for personal info as there is no proof of death more than 20 years ago. If your request is succesful though, you would then have a name. I have never asked for a file based on Regt'l Number alone.

regards
Darrell
For this service number i know his name. His name is Auguste Boucher. Born 22 march 1920. I'm trying to find out wich regiment he served with.

I'm also searching for another person. His service number is written in his Mk-II helmet. The number is F 565080. Do you have any information about that?

Thanks a lot for the information and your help !
Old 10-01-17, 05:00

Hi Andy

I suggest you send your request for E-615151 Auguste Boucher Born 22 March 1920 and see what arrives. Even if censored for personal information, which units he served with should be intact. I should have said his number block falls in the Reserve Force allotments vice the Active Force but again, he could have moved on from his enrolled unit or Force.

F/565080 - The letter "F" indicate that the soldier enlisted in Nova Scotia Province, Military District #6. The number falls within the Block (557000-599999) for MD#6 Reserve Force that is indicated as "Unallotted". Sorry.

regards
Darrell
Old 12-01-17, 12:14

Quote:
Hi Andy

I suggest you send your request for E-615151 Auguste Boucher Born 22 March 1920 and see what arrives. Even if censored for personal information, which units he served with should be intact. I should have said his number block falls in the Reserve Force allotments vice the Active Force but again, he could have moved on from his enrolled unit or Force.

F/565080 - The letter "F" indicate that the soldier enlisted in Nova Scotia Province, Military District #6. The number falls within the Block (557000-599999) for MD#6 Reserve Force that is indicated as "Unallotted". Sorry.

regards
Darrell
Darrell,

thank you very much for your help !