MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-09-15, 21:11

Default What makes good CMP ride along video?

Hi All

With one hand in cast I'm bored, so decided to do some video editing on new computer. My new Mac is fast enough to actually edit the back log of GoPro videos I've shot in the last two years.

So to start, thought I'd ask what you think makes best CMP ride along video. So watch the video and give me some feedback on which number or numbers you like best.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 22-09-15 at 21:23. Reason: Problem with video link
Old 22-09-15, 21:27

Default Try again

Sorry problem with link

https://youtu.be/bLUxkpyo7OM
`45 HUP
Old 22-09-15, 21:32
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Videos

Looking forward to it Phil!

What editing software are you using on your Mac?

I've been using FCPX for some time now in a professional sense and love it.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 22-09-15, 22:04

Default Having Problem with link

Hi

Having a real problem getting youtube embed link to save, it shows on my screen but when I save the post it disappears. Could someone else try grabbing and paste the video embed link.

Keith to start with I'm using the GoPro editing software which is better than what I have used in the past but pretty basic. My PC running XP got zapped the end of July, looked at Windows 10 but really didn't like the premiss of the software and storage not being in the computer. (We have poor internet) Which means getting actual CD copies of software. Using Adobe Lightroom for photo editing. Slow getting up to speed on computer and new software using only hand after hand surgery.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 22-09-15, 22:40
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi Phill the link worked for me just now, it didn't before.
Old 23-09-15, 01:16
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Great video

Hi Phil

Your video worked for me. Great video nice clear segments showing all angles. I don't think we do enough video of our vehicles on the road and they should be preserved for future viewing, well done.

Cheers

Tony
Old 23-09-15, 10:37
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Video comments

I really like the ones in the cab 12 where the wide angle of the GoPro works well. An important element is the sound and it seems to have worked quite well there, even though the sound quality on those cameras leaves a lot to be desired.
The wide angle is also a consideration when looking back from another vehicle - you need to be very close to make it work well.
The first shots inside the cab 13 are a little problematic due to reflections on the glass - the camera is evident so I think opening the windscreen would perhaps be better whilst sacrificing the audio.
The C8A is good because you can get a different perspective because of it's depth.
Ideally a number of GoPro cameras simultaneously would be good so you can cut in sync from different angles.
Have you tried finding a mounting point on the chassis so you can see the wheels and suspension working?
Great to see your experiments Phil!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-09-15, 11:55

I like the zoomed shots from the lead vehicle because that puts the subject largest in the frame and shows the vehicle best.

The next best view was the one looking down over you and ahead, it shows you best and what your doing with hands and head, it would be the angle people will like of you doing what you enjoy most.

Robin

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 24-09-15, 03:16

Default The Music sounded good to me.

Little tinny but the tempo was right on!
Old 24-09-15, 06:17
Dave Good

Great job shifting gears, No grinding
Old 24-09-15, 12:24

I loved all of the examples! However some shots work best dependent upon circumstances, eg wider-angle when there are multiple traffic lanes, etc. Do prefer something from centre cab, slightly behind and above driver, but occasional rearward shots showing subject vehicle add context.

Can't rely on just a single camera position I guess, but do pick 2 or 3 'best' angles and occasionally move through them or zoom from them.

But don't overdo it, it just confuses the hell out of me (anyone who has seen Aus. Rules football on TV might just agree with me! Great photography but just where/ what are we looking at now?)

Last edited by Allan L; 24-09-15 at 12:32.
Old 24-09-15, 14:31
Tony Baker

Hey Phil,

There is a song which I believe would be ideal for MV action footage or convoy shots. It is called We'll Take Beersheba, by Lee Kernigan. A very engaging and dramatic piece. Here you will get a brief snippet, but I recommend hearing the full thing: https://grruv.com/song-details/We-ll...eba/i950050126

I did the video editing for our 2010 trip to Hawaii. What a pain in the rectum. In hindsight, I would make it rather less 'experimental' with the available catalog of effects. In my case, lese would have been more.
Old 24-09-15, 16:03

Default Adding music

Hi Tony

Very good point when there is no good vehicle sound track adding music would improve the watchability of the video. Thought some really good videos are let down by music instead of the sound of the engines.

The music you suggested is quite good, ran into copyright block so here is a YouTube link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eogMLUP0-jg so people can have a listen.

Cheers Phil

PS Tony you side tracked my morning, looking for We'll Take Beersheba on YouTube took me sideways into watching Australian Country Music.
`45 HUP
Old 27-09-15, 21:38

Default Issue of sound track

Hi All

Thanks for the input, sound is an issue particularly GoPro. All of shots in the test video were with full waterproof case on the camera. Got to try the skeleton back and see if that produces better sound.

Clips 1 & 2 are dash mount is magnetic 4x4 inch and it seems to pick up a lot of mechanical or contact noise. In some clips you can hear the turn signal clicking away even when the engine is at full throttle. When using this mount on BEAUTY it also picks up a body squeak that I never found the source of.

The clips 3-4 are shot with tripod which is held down to truck with bungie cord there is a difference in contact noise if the legs are not sitting directly on the steel floor or bed.

I will have to look at getting the mic cable, but to use it, think I’ll also have to get a skeleton housing. I’ve thought that an interesting location for the mike would be inside the headset I wear. That would provide for music and convoy chatter on the CB and by hitting the intercom/radio button i could add commentary.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 27-09-15, 23:35
Tony Baker

Phil,

All the noise, provided it isn't artificially created by transfer through the Mount or tripod, can become a very useful background. Every package of editing software would have the ability to bring down the sound of the original video, and a soundtrack is added, to play in tandem. This, I did quite successfully, when assembling the raw video segments of our Hawaiian holiday. There will always be some something in the original sound recording that you may find desirable to muffle or eliminate entirely. When we were travelling on the trolley bus system, MOST of the background sound was good to keep. I.E: traffic noise, clanging of the buses bell, and engine noise. What wasn't desirable was chatter in foreign languages (mostly Japanese) because it wasn't understandable. By lowering the video soundtrack, and playing something over it slightly louder at times, it became a fairly interesting video to watch. When we were at the Pacific Aviation Museum, on Ford Island, my Son had a go at the flight simulator they had. I shot the screen from above and behind, so that it was possible to see Bryces head and arms on the joystick as well. During editing, when back home, I brought down the engine and gun noise slightly, and added the Battle of Britain March, with rather good results.

My takeaway message is simple, let all the noise be your friend, and you can use it to advantage, rather than have it a nuisance.

If you PM me your address, I can send a copy of the Hawaii video, for you to see/hear what I mean.

Incidentally, the lowering or masking of background sound has another very distinct advantage which I wouldn't expect to be quite so necessary in your case. One piece of the Hawaiian footage involved shooting constantly as I walked through the Thurstan Lava Tube, on The Big Island. The tube is about 20 feet across, and descends slightly from the end we walked into. It is obviously open to the weather, and has a large number of puddles through the length of the walk. I did my very best to avoid the water, but didn't see one, and stood right into the middle of a puddle of approx 2 inches depth. What followed was something best not heard by man nor beast. I'm ashamed to say my vocal retort would have made the most hardened truck driver blush with embarrassment. All that outburst was nicely eliminated by raising an alternative piece of original sound, which was part of another scene in the tunnel that I did not use in final editing. Amusingly (and slightly embarrassingly) sound in the Lava Tube gets amplified as it travels the length. I think some of my profanity was heard on Oahu. I was VERY grateful the tube was quite near darkness, as it hid the origin of the foul langage. Not my finest hour!
Old 28-09-15, 03:17
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default vote

I like the # 4 and 5 positions best

The scenery is well , green and lovely
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 10-10-15, 15:38

Default Thanks for the source

Hi Scott

Interesting units, amazing that GoPro cameras are becoming so popular that other people are now making accessories, Was looking a looking at a unit the other day that has waterproof connections to bring out of case.

One of the things I like about unit you found is that in will help keep the camera cool. Amazing how warm the camera gets in long use.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 27-10-15, 01:59

Phil,

I have been wanting to reply to your thread, but every time other things got in between. But here goes;

Just like Mike, I prefer 4 and 5, with at least a small piece in position "9".....yes, the one that was not really included . In my opinion what often lacks in ride along video's is some shots of the vehicle driving past (9). I know...it's not really ride along and it would make filming more difficult for you, but for me it gives so much more pleasure than just driving along. I like watching classic race/rally/hillclimb video's from time to time and with some video's....no matter how fast the driver is pushing the car...I don't have a clue what the car looks like from the outside! Only a few seconds of the vehicle driving past would make a huge difference.

In general; I don't like position 1 and 2, as they could be filmed from about any car. 3 is better, but I would like to be able to see the driver at work a bit more. that's why I like 4 and 5...the ideal mix between the view of a big portion of the cab, the driver at work....and the road and scenery.
6 gives less view of the cab and driver. 7 and 8 would be a good alternative for "9", but I guess it could also be confusing as some people might think it shows a different vehicle driving behind the subject vehicle (?).

I would avoid music....or maybe just something neutral in the background. I am not a fan of stereotype army music.....or any kind of stereotype music for that matter. A few weeks ago we had a classic steam locomotive and rail event here in Holland.....there was an item on it in the local TV news....any guesses which music they used?

Alex
Old 27-10-15, 18:20

Default Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Phil,

....But here goes;

Just like Mike, I prefer 4 and 5, with at least a small piece in position "9".....yes, the one that was not really included . In my opinion what often lacks in ride along video's is some shots of the vehicle driving past (9)......

...... Only a few seconds of the vehicle driving past would make a huge difference.

I would avoid music....or maybe just something neutral in the background. I am not a fan of stereotype army music.....or any kind of stereotype music for that matter. A few weeks ago we had a classic steam locomotive and rail event here in Holland.....there was an item on it in the local TV news....any guesses which music they used?

Alex
Hi Alex

Thanks for the feed back, particularly the "9" which probably should actually be number 1 in any video the exterior shot either still or on the move of the vehicle subject. Give people a feeling for what they are riding in. Which a CMP probably should include a shot that establishes that it is a RHD vehicle.

One difficulty I've had up until now is placing the camera so that it can be turned off and on while driving. Having missed some really good video when the camera was off I think will go to just leaving the GoPro running for more of the trip that way it can be positioned to catch more.

I bought the GoPro last spring because we were doing a long Convoy, bottom to top and back of the State of New Hampshire about 235 miles each way. On that trip I missed out on some great video when our Convoy met an Army National Guard Convoy in the middle of Franconia Notch one of the most picturesque spots in the mountains here, and off course the camera was off. Now I know that the batteries and memory card are good for about 4 hours. Simple answer get more memory cards and batteries.

I'm now with a new computer I'm editing up all the video that I shot on the trip. Doing a long and short version of the trip which will post soon. All that trip was shot with the camera mounted on the dash of the C60L.

Getting to your point on avoiding music, know what you mean though I did use vintage music on a time lapse video of putting the engine and nose back on the C60L https://youtu.be/Rd1IXU0fchA

In editing that trip I discovered that the couple of times I removed camera from the dash the mechanical noise coming up through the mount disappeared so I will have to play with better mic and better location for the mic. But if I do that do I edit out all the missed shifts?

Shot 4 in the Pattern 12 with the top off is really my favorite for showing whats going on in the Cab and the view around. That angle would work great on a Jeep with the top down.

As you point out 5 & 6 inside of the Cab show how critical camera position and angle are to the quality of the view. Since then I've discover that the best way to set the camera is using wifi to the tablet so that I can see what the camera is seeing. Only problem with the wifi on the GoPro is that it kills the battery pretty fast so you have to set the view lock the camera down and then turn off the wifi on the camera.

With winter coming I'm assembling all off the video I've shot into a couple of very long videos that I just put up on the side screen of the computer as light amusement when I'm sitting at the computers.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP