MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 14-11-05, 04:32

Default Horn button

Hi everyone.

SInce I have gotten my horn working on the carrier Im now in search of a horn button. My instrument panel has the hole for the button. Does anyone have any clear pictures or what one would look like.
Attached Images

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-11-05, 15:25

Thanks Brad.

I will look into it.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-11-05, 21:13
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Mills
Jordan,

I think the horn button is like the Lucas one's used in the Airborne Jeeps. I may be wrong on this, but they look the same and are the right vintage.
Also Paul Beck does this stuff new, see:
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/

R.
Old 14-11-05, 22:35
GM Fox I

Default Holes

All Mk.1 Carriers have the hole for the button on the dash. Only on later ones there was no horn button in it.
Old 15-11-05, 01:55
BIG MIKE

Default new Brake parts

Just bought a pair Brake hardware from Dave Demorrow, part #CGB1926, these are custom made of hardened steel and treaded in british thread , I noticed mine were cast and one was cracked, so these are a must if you don't have a good pair, I believe Dave still has a few pairs left, he's at alleramilitaria.com or on this forum.

CHEERS

BIG MIKE
Old 22-11-05, 02:33

Hi everyone

I won one of the Lucas Horn buttons on ebay. I found an English part supply place on the net that sold these and other vintagish parts. They listed the buttons at justunder 16 GBP plus shipping. Mine with shipping was 18.5 GBP. I will let everyone else know how they fit.

The website for the parts is

http://autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/index.php
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-11-05, 08:45

Default carrier horn button

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
Hi everyone

I won one of the Lucas Horn buttons on ebay. I found an English part supply place on the net that sold these and other vintagish parts. They listed the buttons at justunder 16 GBP plus shipping. Mine with shipping was 18.5 GBP. I will let everyone else know how they fit.

The website for the parts is

http://autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/index.php
I have an old instrument panel off of a mk 1 carrier packed away somewhere in my junkpile I recovered this fall off of an old carrier in northern Manitoba.I will look for it tommorow and find somebody with a digital camera to take a picture of it and post it for comparison with the new ones you are finding. Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 08-12-05, 15:58
carrier mech

It's a little late for a reply to this thread, but here goes anyway. I have a photo of Derks control panel. The button is very similar to the Lucas ones you guys have shown, except the actual button portion is actually steel, as you can see by the pitting.

The button still has it's spring action, and appears as though it can be dissassembled and cleaned up.
The panel is a nice find. It also has all three of the origional light switches at the top. They are an interesting open knife type switch in the back.

See, there are advantages to living in this deepfreeze called Manitoba. Things stay reletively preserved here, even when stored outdoors in a swamp.
Old 08-12-05, 18:31
BIG MIKE

Geez when can BIG mike come over to see and buy everything?, you guys are lucky to have each other close you . I have to scower the earth looking for parts and such and look at pictures. anywho my bro inlaw just senr me a case of Keiths beer , mm i'm loveing it!!

CHEERS

so to be in Drunken stupper BIG MIKE
Old 08-12-05, 18:31
BIG MIKE

Geez when can BIG mike come over to see and buy everything?, you guys are lucky to have each other close you . I have to scower the earth looking for parts and such and look at pictures. anywho my bro inlaw just senr me a case of Keiths beer , mm i'm loveing it!!

CHEERS

soon to be in Drunken stupper BIG MIKE
Old 08-12-05, 18:32
BIG MIKE

see i'm seeing Double, just like Jordan said LOL
Old 08-12-05, 20:14
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Geez when can BIG mike come over to see and buy everything?, you guys are lucky to have each other close you .
Mike
There is nothing close about any of us in Canada; you are likely closer. Brad is over 2600 miles from me, while Jordan and the Ontario guys are likely around 1400 miles or so. Besides, if BIG MIKE is drinking his Keefes, he is advised to stay home, it's too damn cold up here to have a big guy wandering around.
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Did he happen to mention to you anything about the Grenade box inserts?
Brad
I'll head out to the garage and see if I can locate my best one. I know one box still has the felt as well as the wood.

Rob
Old 09-12-05, 03:15
BIG MIKE

I'm confused , ware is Dirk located Holland or Canada? and ware is shilo, maitoba, and how cold is it? i do ware a nose glove when it gets cold down here,lol i had 5 keefes aready at 5 pm, BIG MIKE >slipping of the chair<

WANDERING
Old 09-12-05, 05:37
carrier mech

Mike:
Derk Derin is out of Winipeg, which is just next door to Shilo Manitoba (only 100 miles away). Manitoba is located above North Dakota/Montana. Dirk Leegwater is somewhere on the other side of the big lake next to Newfoundland.
I'm afraid I have been fairly thoroughly converted to the metric system, so the temperatures here have been between -24C at night, up to a high of about -13C in the heat o fthe day. You'll have to find a conversion chart to figure it to F. And winters not even here yet; we only have a few inches of snow on the ground.
Old 11-12-05, 14:28
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Mills

The switch is made by Lucas so perhaps it is the right one...but...perhaps a long shot. I need one as well as I have the early inst. panel and my front armour has the hole for the horn. Hopefully someone else here on the Forum can shed some more light on the subject.

Hallo Brad,

The dashpanels of my (unrestored) MkI carriers are two diffirent types,
look to the pictures. In my opinion are the Lucas horn buttons to big (wide).
Looks good, but you must make a new extra hole, I guess.

Mvg. Dirk

Old 14-12-05, 06:58

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
Derk Derin is out of Winipeg, which is just next door to Shilo Manitoba (only 100 miles away). Manitoba is located above North Dakota/Montana. Dirk Leegwater is somewhere on the other side of the big lake next to Newfoundland.
I'm afraid I have been fairly thoroughly converted to the metric system, so the temperatures here have been between -24C at night, up to a high of about -13C in the heat o fthe day. You'll have to find a conversion chart to figure it to F. And winters not even here yet; we only have a few inches of snow on the ground.
This is the first time somebody has had my name confused with another person! With the name Derk,it hasn't happened before.
Hopefully with the same name as Dirk,I will automatically have the same talent for restoring C.M.P.'s as Dirk!What do you think Derk.........uh I mean Dirk?
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 14-12-05, 11:24
BIG MIKE

Derk,I don't think I was confused on Dirk, Derk. Dirk L is who I was talking about, BUT Derk do you have anything to sell in UC parts? You may have the TALENT ! probley more than me

Cheers

BIG MIKE
Old 21-02-06, 22:55
RIP

Default Two styles of panels.

It would appear if there are two styles of panels, then there are likely two different buttons. One seems to mount on the surface,(both of mine are like that-no large hole between the screws),and one mounts through the panel-with the screws going back through the panel and screwing into the button base.
Does anyone know if this is so? Maybe the large centre hole was drilled only if a horn was actually mounted?
Old 22-02-06, 00:08

Default Re: Two styles of panels.

Quote:
Originally posted by c. ladouceur
It would appear if there are two styles of panels, then there are likely two different buttons.
The picture of the panel on Jordan's initial message on this thread, is of a British panel. It has a speedo and oil guage made by Smiths Motor Accesories, switchboard by CAV, oil guage by ARIC (Accurate Recording Instrument Co.). So it would be very likely that the horn button is Lucas, as has been shown. Some Lucas switches and fuseboxes of designs dating to the late 1930's are still produced by them or were up until recently, the horn switch being one of them.

Richard
Old 22-02-06, 00:32

The picture I orginaly posted came from the following manual. I think it is the Cdn reprint of the British one.
Attached Thumbnails
manuals02.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 23-02-06, 01:16
BIG MIKE

Jordan , Personal question here , Do you have a Female whoo Toot's your Horn or is your Gal the UC? LOL Cheers HOMIE

BIG MIKE