MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 20-10-12, 11:23

Default Not sure where the rest is...

My memory must be acting up, sure there was more than this when I was last up in the mountains. I actually went there up to get the serial number as I knew it was a complete hull, but either the termites are really bad, or my grey cells are buggered.
Did discover that it is sitting on a bloody Bullant nest though.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier.jpg   Carrier (1).jpg  
Old 20-10-12, 13:40
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Movable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
My memory must be acting up, sure there was more than this when I was last up in the mountains. I actually went there up to get the serial number as I knew it was a complete hull, but either the termites are really bad, or my grey cells are buggered.
Did discover that it is sitting on a bloody Bullant nest though.

Rich.
Hi Rich

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the old grey cells. Must be those steel eating two legged termites. At least it is now easy to trailer out.

Cheers

Tony
Old 20-10-12, 15:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post

Rich.
I'm not going to ask where your secret spot in the mountains is, but on a ridge South East of Matlock there is a linked pic on GOOGLE EARTH that shows a more complete hull.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/63259...=kh.google.com
Old 21-10-12, 00:02

Ah, yes: Jericho. Little gold mining place. The 'town', or rather what remains of it, is in the valley below. The approach down from the ridge is, from memory, pretty steep, but the track then runs along the valley floor. There is a river diversion there, done for gold mining purposes, that includes a tunnel about 50 metres long (don't quote me: it's been a while!). The miners sheltered there during the '39 fires, and survived.

Anyway, lots of interesting mines and mining history in the area. Been many years since I last ventured in there, so things may well have changed considerably!

Mike C
Old 21-10-12, 03:09

It amazes me how a certain shape jumps out at you, you can be driving down a track and the brain will just put a name to a vague silhouette. The carrier remains are in a tin/gold mining area, and were found after I spotted a Chev CMP engine cover rusting away in the scrub. The jeeps were motoring along the track quite well at the time, yet the brain says "Bingo"
Don't think that there is much left on this one worth having.
Funnily enough the Tin/gold Mine has been reactivated, last time I was up there it had what was basically a modern day tracked carrier sitting at the front gate. History repeating itself perhaps.
Rich.
Old 21-10-12, 03:27
Rick Cove

You had better grab it Rich. Too many carriers are missing all of that front armour. The vision hatches are still there and the right hand one has an extremely rare windscreen holder. I've only every seen about 7 carriers with that bit.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 21-10-12, 03:36

Rich,

I'm sure someone will want the shutters and mechanisms, though...

Interesting about the 'reactivation': when gold goes up in value, so do the number of mining licence applications, though I'm certain that most never make a cent. Some I had to monitor in Victoria were small, one-man ones that just kept on plodding on, no matter what the price of gold. I'm sure it was a lifestyle to the operators, rather than a living. I didn't envy the Inspector: the operators were so used to cobbling together anything that would 'work' without regard to the Regs. My job was at least a little easier in that regard: the environmental requirements were pretty straight forward.

Mike C