Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-04, 16:32
RIP

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Oh gawd, another sigs type! :

Stellan, we have at least three sigs people here anyway who can communicate quite effectively in morse... can you, still? If so, I'm putting out a call for one of you to start a thread here which shall be nothing but code - no grammatical English. A hell of a challenge for the rest of us! I dare you...

A stoker, eh? Fascinating profession, but I wouldn't want to be one of the black gang when the torpedo hits...
[/QUOTE]

Well, well --- first I have to find my old handbook on the Q-code. I was trained in morse in 1963 but becoming a NCO I was naturally (like allways in the Army) never used for that purpose.

Instead I was given a mobile telephone exchange waggon. However in 1965 I was for a month or so back in the radio service but was soon transferred to teletype and ciphers.

In 1967 I was transferred to the Infantry, but still in a sigs job (12th Inf Div HQ) and wearing sigs uniform. My most interesting job in the sigs was 1972-74 with the National Defence Radio Institute (FRA) - then very secret. FRA cooperated with NSA when it came down to hear what they were talking about in the Soviet Union (now declassified).

In 1975 I made my last day in signal service beeing outdated and old fashinoned but it took to 1st July 1977 before I was formally transferred to Infantry.

Stoker: Yea, but only on tugs in Stockholm harbour and on small passenger ferries in the archipelago. I even made greaser.

Now my favourite pub is open!

Stellan
aka Concrete (Army nickname related to the contents of my brain)