MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 28-09-22, 11:35

Default canadian design record ww2 books

how rare are these books and how many volumes in a set
sorry if this in the wrong place but it is my first post
Old 28-09-22, 12:06

The easy part is that there are 8 volumes to the set.
I don't recall ever seeing a physical set of the records so from that point of view I would say very rare. Thankfully, they've been digitized and links to a source are at http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...=design+record
Old 28-09-22, 13:52
carrier mech

There were the original 8 volume sets, and then later they reprinted them in a 2 volume set. I have an original 2 volume set, and had a couple of the single volumes of the 8 volume set which I sold off a long time ago. Back in the 90s, the local museum kit shop would drag duplicate books to the base flea market, and charge $2 for the little books, $5 or 10 for the larger books, and $20 for a pile. My pile was procured under the $20 deal.

The volumes are numbered, but having only seen a small number of these books, I cannot ratify what quantities were printed. Of the 8 mixed volumes above my desk, the highest number is a couple from set number 19. Some of them have the departments they were issued to printed on the inside cover.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02001.jpg   DSC02002.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 28-09-22 at 19:31.
Old 28-09-22, 14:10

I know of three sets Bart Vanderveen had a set the one already mentioned a set that includes the three small data books Canadian military pattern vehicles Canadian manufactured modified conventional vehicles and trailers two of these one is like a index and one in Canada
Old 28-09-22, 19:46

The set l am interested in is number two and it does have the department it was issued to stamped inside on the first page and all eight are present
Old 29-09-22, 10:16
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally dugan View Post
The set l am interested in is number two and it does have the department it was issued to stamped inside on the first page and all eight are present
Hello Wally,

Welcome here on MLU!

If you have a chance to buy any volume of the AEDB Design Records, I would not pass up on the opportunity. Although all volumes are available as scans and can be printed out, having an original manual is so much better.

Which of these volumes are you referring to?
Volume 1 - General and Index;
Volume 2 - Armoured Vehicles (other than tanks);
Volume 3 - Tanks and Tank Type Vehicles;
Volume 4 - Self-propelled Mechanical Transport Type Vehicles;
Volume 5 - Bodies and Non-technical Vehicles;
Volume 6 - Technical Vehicles; Volume 7 - Trailers;
Volume 8 - Mud and Snow Vehicles
Please share the info of any volumes for sale if you can.
Old 29-09-22, 13:22

l have all of them and are all set number two l was given them about fifteen years ago l do have a interest in CMPs having restored a number of them mainly for other owners and a museum also my late father had a long time liking for them as he did at times drive them though not a driver in ww2 These have been uncovered just lately after been in a document depository for a number of years with most of my historic vehicle documents while work was under way at home now some if not all are been brought home