MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-10, 02:46
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Tyre sizes

Hi All

As a relatively new member to the MLU Forum, ( I joined in July 2010 ) And currently restoring a 1942 MB Willys Jeep, something I have never attempted before in the past. I am thouroughly enjoying the project thanks to great advice and assistance I have received from members of the MLU forum.

I now have another question I seek an answer too. That is "Tyre Sizes" that can used on WWII Jeep combat rims. I had previously asked you guys for advice regarding whether to stay with my original Jeep rims or go to an alternative, like Suzuki Sierra Rims. The advice I received from MLU members, prompted me to happily decide to stay with the originals WWII Jeep Rims as that is how I wish to show off my restored Jeep.

Obtaining the correct Bar Tread tyres are a problem, dealers appear to have a shortage of 6.00 x 16 Bar Tread Tyres, claiming if they can get them they are expensive, because the 6.00 x 16 Bar Tread Tyre is now classed a "Vintage Tyre", difficult to obtain and Very expensive.

I have been told that the Army SWB Seies II Land Rover has a Bar Tread Tyre, 7.00 x 16 ( 205 x 16 ) and there are other off road 205 x 16 readily available and cheaper, could this be an alternative I could look at.

Have any of the MLU members used larger sized tyres other than 6.00 x 16 on their WWII Jeep with any success. Would this be an option for me.

Other than Tyres my restoration project is coming along nicely and I have attached photos showing my current stage of restoration, I hope to start the engine in about a week. I will be taking my finished project to Corowa 2010.

Cheers

Little Jo
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01781.jpg   DSC01783.jpg   DSC01782.jpg  
Old 04-12-10, 03:10

If you are going to keep the combat rims so it looks right, you would be shooting yourself in the foot to use anything but the correct tyre. They are available, even over E-bay at $140 including delivery:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Tyre-4x4-...item2eb1ace110

Maybe you need a keener tyre man? All the Jeep guys over here seem to be able to get them, I would bet that Marathon Spares have a container load as well.

Problem as I see it is using anything taller will affect your gearing, and you only have a 3 speed box and a standard engine.
Thats my 2 cents worth....
Rich.
Old 04-12-10, 10:19
Bluebell

Default Jo

The early MB's and GPW's, came with 600 x 16's. Then later on they changed to 6.50 x 16. These being slightly bigger in diameter, will give you a slightly better road speed, if that helps.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 04-12-10, 11:35
Blitzed

Default tyres

I was going to suggest ebay too as there had/ or is some tyres on there at the moment for ww2 jeeps.
Great looking jeep by the way, impressive work.
ryan
Old 05-12-10, 01:08
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Tyre sizes

Hi All

Thank you for your replies and advice. Very much appreciated. That is what I have come to like from MLU members, everyone is ready to help a newcomer.

RICHARD - Thank you for the e-bay site, I will follow up with them. I did contact a supplier in NSW who asdvised he could not source into SA, I did not even get a price from him. Local suppliers in SA have quoted priced around $225.00 each plus tubes and gators.

LYNN - I did not know our Jeeps tyre sizes were increased, That is what I like about the MLU I have learned so much from members.

RYAN - Yes mate I am very p[leased with my Jeep results so far and can't wait to start driving it. But Iam at a stage where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and must stay focused and finish the project properly. As you can see I am going WWII Dessert colours and fitout.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 05-12-10, 10:09
John Forsey

Default Desert jeep

great work on the jeep so far, because you have done it as a desert jeep do not forget thet the bonnet should have the RAF roundell and not the invasion star. John.
Old 05-12-10, 11:10
John Forsey

Default sandy jeep

Little Joe, this ois a picture of a sand coloured jeep with the roundell that I restored for a client about 20 years ago. It looked so good I wanted to keep it, John.
Attached Thumbnails
sand jeep 001.jpg  
Old 06-12-10, 01:17
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Sandy jeep

John

Your restoration looks great and I can see what you mean regarding the Rounell, looks impressive. Your Jeep colour looks very similar to what I am using, My colour is called, "Sandbank" Your canopy is also the same colour as mine. Boy I am straining at the bit to finish the project, currently being held up due to waiting for some crucial parts which I Put in a "safe place" so I would not lose them, now I cant find them, so had to order new ones , what is the bet when I finish I will trip over them, very frustrating, or a sign of early dementure.

Cheers

Little Joe
Old 06-12-10, 02:02

Tony,
You are not alone in your early dementia. The only way to find the safley stored item IS to buy a new one.
Rich
Old 06-12-10, 07:51
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Dementia

Richard

I placed a new order for parts earlier today, you can bet I will trip up on the missing parts when I go into the shed tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the tyres as well, I ordered them today and the guy said I should have them delivered to my door within the week.

Cheers mate

Little Jo
Old 15-12-10, 10:24
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Tyre sizes

Hi

Well I just thought I would give you a heads up for those looking for 6.00 x 16Bar Lug Tyres. As you are aware I have had a devil of a time trying to source new tyres for my Jeep Restoration project. Richard Coutts-Smith gave me an email site to check out. I looked it up and they had my tyres for $140 each free delivery anywhere in Australia.

I checked the company. "PowerSport WA" webb site, obtained their phone number and contacted them. The guy I spoke to was very pleasant and helpful. I ordered 4 new tyres for my Jeep and 2 for my mate, Bob Mosely WWII Jeep Trailer.

The order was placed and paid for by direct electronic payment Last Monday afternoon and the tyres were delivered to my home on Friday morning. Fantastic service. The tryes were fitted onto the rims and look great. I have attached a photo of the tyre on Bob's Trailer Rim.

I would recomend this company to anyone looking for tryes for their Jeep. I also would like to thank Richard Coutts-Smith for putting me onto the site. So now I don't have to worry about putting alternative tyres on my combat rims and keeping my Jeep original.

By the way I am not getting a kick back or commision for recomending the tyre company, oh hang on, they did send me a shirt and a couple of caps as a thank you for the order.

Cheers

Little Jo
Old 15-12-10, 10:50

Nothing quite like good service with a good price is there!
Rich.
Old 15-12-10, 10:58
RIP

Default Re. Tyres

Hey Little Jo - where is the image and the surname is spelt MOSELEY.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 15-12-10, 13:53
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Tyres

Hey Bob

Sorry mate, dam, I was so busy doing the promotion bit I darnwell forgot to attach the photo. Would have looked better if the trailer was attached to it. Ha Ha.

Cheers

Little Jo
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01799.jpg