MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 29-05-17, 16:41

Default Ferret tires

Folks, I am looking for a set of Ferret tires, 9:00 x 16s, for my Lynx. Any suggestions or leads would be welcome. Thanks, Peter
Old 10-06-17, 18:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Not too far from the US/Can border:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-MILITARY-T...lZF3Wu&vxp=mtr

As US spec 16's these will be a direct fit to the Ferret rims.
Old 11-06-17, 02:39

Default Thanks

Tony,
Thanks for the "heads up". I'd still prefer to find a set of Ferret tires, if I can. I much prefer the tread pattern, which somewhat resembles the original pattern found on my original Lynx tires. Peter
Old 11-06-17, 03:19
GM Fox I

Peter, what's the condition of the chevrons you have now? I wonder if there might be a trade in the offing for your decent WW2 tires in place of ferret s pattern ones from some organization that wants originals and doesn't plan on running them. The other option (if your chevrons are OK) is to find a second set of rims and put on those American bar treads for distance, reserving the chevrons for show.
Old 11-06-17, 06:50

Default Tires

Bruce,

My tires are original and reflect 76 year old tires that have spent their lives outside. Heavily checked and weathered. Three are Firestone's, date coded 1941 and one is a Goodyear dated 1945. For sure one does not hold air, just doesn't look like it.
Being Run Flats they have been suitable for driveway runs while I work out the bugs but are definitely not roadworthy.
I am slowly realizing that I may have to settle for NOS bar-grips, but I figured that I would beat the bush for Ferret tires one last time.
Thanks, Peter

Another issue is that I cannot guarantee what condition they will be in after being removed from the wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-10 23.47.02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	91310 Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-10 23.58.37 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	91311
Old 11-06-17, 09:46
Bluebell

Peter, I assume by "Ferret tyres" you mean Dunlop Trackgrip?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-06-17, 16:01

Default Dunlops

Lynn,

Yes, the tread pattern on the Trackgrips mimics to a degree the chevron pattern on my current tires, more so than the bar grips. I don't know if Dunlop was the sole manufacturer of these tires.
Thanks, Peter
Old 11-06-17, 16:17
carrier mech

Personally, I am still hoping that Ryan can come through on these tires: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26339
Old 11-06-17, 16:22
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Duggan View Post
Yes, the tread pattern on the Trackgrips mimics to a degree the chevron pattern on my current tires, more so than the bar grips. I don't know if Dunlop was the sole manufacturer of these tires.
There was a thread here some time ago about new made 9.00 x 16 Dunlop S pattern tires in some place like Malaysia(?). I recall someone attempting to get a sample batch, and also that they may not be certified for use in Canada (despite them being 10 ply run flats). If true, these tires would be the best choice out there for everything from Ferrets to 15 cwts and an alternate to American bar treads that just don't look right on anything Commonwealth.

The other tires out there are those 10.50 x 16's with a beautiful chevron tread but may be a little too tall for your Lynx.
Old 11-06-17, 17:14

Default 9:00 x 16s

Rob/Bruce,

My first choice would also be new reproductions of 9:00 by 16s, with a chevron tread.
Peter

Last edited by Peter Duggan; 11-06-17 at 17:17. Reason: Chevrons
Old 11-06-17, 20:40
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
There was a thread here some time ago about new made 9.00 x 16 Dunlop S pattern tires in some place like Malaysia(?). I recall someone attempting to get a sample batch, and also that they may not be certified for use in Canada (despite them being 10 ply run flats). If true, these tires would be the best choice out there for everything from Ferrets to 15 cwts and an alternate to American bar treads that just don't look right on anything Commonwealth.
Made in China (almost: of course) - see the link in Rob's posting above (and quoted below).

Who is going to tip off a HMV parts & tyre dealer on the availability of these tyres? I am sure this is best done by someone with the resources to invest in shipping over a couple of hundred tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Personally, I am still hoping that Ryan can come through on these tires: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26339
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9492_zpsehhhbewf.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	91360
Old 18-06-17, 12:52
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Bruce,

I agree, Dunlop Trak Grip or any of the other Commonwealth patterns of course look best.

But currently US-pattern NDMS "bar treads" are the only WW2 pattern 9.00-16 tyres available on the market - at least in my part of the world.....

Hanno