MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-17, 13:50

Default West Australian ACCO 6x6 F1 GS

Hi Guys,i have started on getting the 6x6 organised to get it back down home here , from The wheatbelt region near Merriden in W.A.
I bought it at the same time as the Humber but as yet havent had the time to do much about it yet,my son and i removed the twin carbies,clutch master and slave cyls and both brake master cyls this last long weekend and will clean and re-kit them and refit to truck just so it can be moved about a bit easier.
Holden type stromberg carbs with a different top to suit air cleaner setup,they sit side by side rather than facing forward like Holden manifold style.Banjo type needle and seats i have not seen before,are used in place of the normal in-line passenger car type,and i have yet to see if they are available or used on anything else that was common once,does anyone know of or had to locate these anywhere else EG Covs ,Repco etc as to where they may be found?.
Chassis no 3837 1973 model "Truck,cargo,5ton, GS,w/winch,F1" which should put ARN as 25-209.
Bit of rust here and there but not overly bad,still has its drop sides but no canvas bows for rear ,was registered and on the road up until about 6 yrs ago but has definately suffered from lack of use and sitting in the weather for a good spell.
Any info or leads to find unit , TAC plate numbers etc -- there is 1 TAC plate attached showing 55 on an all red background by the looks of it (may not be original to this vehicle) or even Army in origin --, if it went to Vietnam? and so on would be appreciated,i am trying to find the link to AWM disposal records but have forgotten how to get there.
When i remember my password i will be checking in on the Inter Chapter of the REMLR site

Have to resize the photos tomorrow and will post when my patient wife has done this for me.
Cheers John
Old 07-06-17, 14:32

Default Acco 6x6

pics of Acco
Attached Thumbnails
Dad1.jpg   Dad2.jpg   Dad3.jpg   Dad4.jpg  
Old 07-06-17, 16:42

Nice!

David
Old 07-06-17, 16:56

Hi John,

55 on red is an infantry Unit Sign.

1973 production/delivery so not a SVN-deployed vehicle (the bulk of Australian forces had left SVN by early 1972) .

25-209 was sold out of service prior to 1993. This is a post-1972 registration, so details are not held by the AWM. (AWM126 registration books end when the registration system was revised in 1972).

Nice truck.

Mike
Old 08-06-17, 02:05

John - nice addition to the fleet.

I've been meaning to call again and chat about your wrecker...
I have been progressing my conversion to RAEME specs slowly when time allows.

I have started a thread somewhere else in the softskin forum. Perhaps you can put up some pics of yours when you/your wife have time!!

Howard
Old 08-06-17, 09:28

David ,Mike,Howard thanks for the comments.
Mike is the 55 bit a W.A. regt or could that be in any state? and what other symbol may have been in the LHS tac holder to coincide with the red plate?.
Paint is not real flash but does retain most tyre pressure info and the" caution air brakes" on the rear ,i would like to apply any missing info where possible.
The tray floor wood is quite serviceable but the headboard timber looks like termites got in to it,not doing a full resto but refurb and repair where needed.
I dont know any real history of this unit or where it was sold off etc when disposed of.
Howard we dont have a wrecker but previous owner had a wrecker sitting on the back of my sons m35 Reo,not for sale, i dont know what it originally came off but looked to be in reasonably good nick,but may be able to get some photos of it if you were at all interested.
john
Old 08-06-17, 12:41

Ah... So there are two 'Johns in WA with army trucks'! - especially when his wife does most of the computer stuff too!!! They are in Perth - I think..
Old 08-06-17, 16:10

John,

No, the 55 is not WA-specific. In the 1980s, it could stand for (examples):
(1) 1 RAR
(2) 2 Royal NSW Regiment
(3) 9 Royal Queensland Regiment -

etc

It all depended on what Formation sign was carried in the other sign holder as to which unit it applied to.

Mike
Old 09-06-17, 09:19

Ok thanks for that Mike