MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-17, 20:43

Default Dom16 vs Por15

Hi everyone.

So it seems as in all things good, people have to change things. Por did a big hange in their Canadian distribution system. Basically all the local dealers have been cut out and we now get to order from a national supplier in Quebec. Naturally the cost also seems to have gone up. A quart of semi gloss black is now $73 plus shipping plus tax.

Saying all this I've come across a Canadian made product called DOM16. It's supposed to be better and much cheaper to buy. However it only comes in gloss black.

Has anyone used DOM16? What are your thoughts? I liked using Por15 semi gloss black as it covered very well and if I left it cute it was still a rough finish for the tie coat primer to adhere with no issues. Whereas I'm concerned with the gloss (and they do dry looking like wet glass) that the paint won't stick. One video I found on YouTube suggested painting your top coat while the DOM16 was still tacky. This is do able but can make for some quick work/time lines to get everything painted before it sets up.

Of course the other option is ordering the POR stuff from the states.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-06-17, 01:47

Default I tried the tacky coat fo POR with OD......

My OD paint crackled so bad I had to sand and use the POR bluetie coat primer let it dry than OD green.

The glossy coat of the POR 15 once coated with the Tie Coat blue sandable primer will allow you to use any top coat....... if the surface is scratched hard enough everything but the base POR gloss will be removed....... but can be spot painted with the Tie Coat and OD again...... I actually scratched the axle tubes with chains...... POR was never damaged.

I would seriously consider using the new two part epoxy primers.....but have yet to use it!!!!!!

Ordering from the States may be the best option.

Who is the National distributor????? in Montreal?????
Canada
Old 09-06-17, 02:45

I've had the crackle happen before. It's from the POR still shrinking a bit as it cures. However I find the top coat is almost fused to it once dry.

The POR Canada website only has a place in Quebec listed. They used to have a list of dealers. That's all gone.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-06-17, 03:45

I've used this stuff in small amounts; http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

You can buy it at Carquest and other places in Canada (listed on their site), it's about the same price as POR15 and essentially the same stuff as far as I remember from the last time I used POR15.
Old 09-06-17, 05:56
carrier mech

I still get POR15 from Cdn tire. The price has gone up to $64.99 a quart which I suspect reflects our crappy Cdn peso. I note that on the US site, a quart is $52.52 which translates into $70.97.

Personally I go to the US border several times a year for parts, so if the Cdn system does go to heck, I'll go that route.
Old 14-06-17, 20:02

Well I ordered some tie coat primer and thinner from the POR Canada site. Other then a few issues on checkout. (seems they really want you to use Paypal) everything went well.

Ordered Sunday night and the shipping van just left my driveway.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer