MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-07, 17:39

Default Morris FAT C8 body types

I am currently engaged on a modelling project and need some clarification on the various body types.

From the various sources, I have identified the following:
MkI:
Hump backed body.
Glazed panel on drivers side only, plain doors without glazed panels.
Enclosed roof.

MkII
Hump backed body.
Glazed panels, drivers and commanders side.
Glazed openings on both doors.

MkIII
As MkII but with canvass covered opening in centre roof panel.

MkIV.
Square body, with canvass roof, towed the 17pdr.

Is this correct ????

Also at which stage were the front springs changed from being under-slung, to over the front axle ?????

Are there any census numbers to denote which marks were which ?????

I know this is a tall order, but any help would be of value.

Thanks
George.
Old 11-06-07, 21:55
former Resident Historian

Default FATs

There were also the late 1943 rebuilds (by Morrs Commercial Cars Ltd) of C.8/MG 2-pounder Portees, C.8/P Predictors and C.8/AT tractors into 17-pdr tractors. Some of these, plus it appears "normal" FATs (C.8/AWD) were converted/rebuilt as airporable versions. I have seen drawings for the 17-pdr conversions; as you know the cab and wings/fenders differed between the /MG, /P and /AWD versions.

This thread may help! To this day I am still totally bemused about all these permutations!

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ghlight=morris
Old 12-06-07, 03:06

Default Morris FAT

Thanks David,
Yes, the No5 body was the one I thought may have been MkIV, I had forgotten that.
Then as you say, there were the conversions of the "portee" etc etc.
All very confusing.
My main interest is the hump back FAT, those photographed at Dunkirk all seem to have unglazed doors, and one glazed panel on the drivers side.
I have a photo, captioned MkIII body, which has glazed doors, and glazed both sides, below the roof panel, and with a canvass top. My thoughts were there was an interim MkII, which had the doors and sides glazed, but the roof was closed, as the earlier body types.
The one at Duxford has the glazed panels either side, and the doors are solid, so there is yet another body style.
There are other preserved examples with only one side panel glazed, and unglazed doors.
So I am totally confused.

Forgive what may seem a minor point, I guess it is reasonable to assume that different doors were fitted to earlier bodies, as time went on.

It's a matter of going through as many photographs as possible to determine the theatre and whatever census numbers can be gleaned.

Thanks for the help.

If its not too much bother, can you contact me off-line, I have relations in your neck of the woods.

george.dfs@virgin.net

George.
Old 12-06-07, 14:33

Default Another plea for help.

I enclose a couple of shots of the FAT steering gear.
The lower one is what I am interested in.
Does any one have a photo or details of how the steering column was fitted into the steering box itself.
The photo I took here only shows the lower part, and I would like a an idea of the back end.
At Duxford, scrabbling about on the floor getting this and other underside shots, I incurred the wrath of one of the "custodians", so was unable to get anything further.

A diagram from the manual would suffice, as long as I can get an idea of the shape of the steering box.

The upper photo is that fitted to the No 5 body, and is a totally different casting, (bless).

Thanks

George.
Attached Thumbnails
scan.jpg