MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-12-06, 11:21
Vets Dottir

Default South Coast getting blown away again!

This I just spotted in Canoe News ... the big winds are STILL pestering the coast by blowing things all over the place and knocking out power again. What's up with the weather these days ...

Quote:
Windstorm leaves 190,000 in B.C. without power
Updated Mon. Dec. 11 2006 9:54 PM ET

Canadian Press

VANCOUVER -- British Columbia's south coast is being pounded by another windstorm, with at least 190,000 B.C. Hydro customers without electricity.

The storm uprooted trees, knocked down power lines and disrupted travel with winds gusting at 100 kilometres an hour in some places.

B.C. Hydro had all available crews and contract staff working through the day and night in an attempt to fix downed power lines. Additional staff was being brought in from the Interior to help.

Spokeswoman Elisha Moreno said some problems had to be assessed overnight before power could be fixed. She said customers should be prepared to spend at least one night without hydro.

Several B.C. Ferries sailings between the Northern Gulf Islands were cancelled and a number of sailings between the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island were delayed.

In Vancouver, the force of the winds knocked down trees onto the Stanley Park causeway, temporarily blocking access to the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Streets were clogged with vehicles as traffic lights were dark at many Lower Mainland intersections.

On Vancouver Island, Port Alberni resident Susan Jones said the town was being swept by hurricane-force winds that knocked out most power.

"Anything that isn't nailed down is being blown away,'' she said. "I've seen all kinds of crap go flying down the street here.''

She said the town was having a hard time getting traffic or weather alerts since the generator at the local radio station had gone down.

Monday's storm was the latest in a series that brought wind, rain and snow to the province's south coast since early November.
Old 20-12-06, 08:45
Vets Dottir

Default Ouch ... Stanley Park blown away

Hello All.

I just turned on the TV news a while ago and they had a story about the last storms damage to Stanley Park in Vancouver ... follow link below for the story and be sure and watch the video!!!

DEREK ... if you watch the video, note the Seawall!!! (Where I used to ride my bike around with my daughter in a child seat. The story says the seawall runs 8.8 km) So sad to see the damage to all of the old trees ... and mind boggling to see the Seawall all caved in or broken up in many places ...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ark-trees.html

Karmen
Old 10-01-07, 19:14
Vets Dottir

Well, BC still getting it with the extremes!!!

Quote:
January 10, 2007

Snow hits B.C. after another windstorm

A broken tree lies on top a Vancouver Parks Board vehicle in Stanley Park during a wind storm in Vancouver, B.C. Tuesday, January 9, 2007. High winds have once-again toppled trees and forced a closure of the park.

(CP PHOTO/Richard Lam)

VANCOUVER (CP) - The latest wind and snowstorm to gallop through British Columbia brought more than just inconvenience, it left people coping with dangerous conditions in many parts of the province.

Rescuers were trying to reach motorists stranded in a blizzard Wednesday on a road near Dawson Creek in northeastern B.C. Heavy snow and gusting winds disrupted travel on roads in the Peace region overnight, leaving motorists stuck on a road between the Hart Highway and the Alaska Highway.

Emergency crews, RCMP and highway maintenance crews were working to reach them.

Radio stations broadcast warnings on Wednesday telling stranded people to remain in their vehicles until emergency crews can reach them. They were told to periodically run their vehicles to stay warm and keep a window slightly open to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Temperatures in northeastern B.C. were about -40 C with the wind chill.

The snow began falling Tuesday night as the temperature plunged. Environment Canada said up to 10 centimetres were expected in Greater Victoria and the Fraser Valley, and five centimetres in Greater Vancouver.

The winds, gusting to 100 kilometres an hour, knocked out power to more than 115,000 homes at the peak of Tuesday's storm.

Almost 40,000 customers from Nanaimo to Chilliwack were still in the dark early Wednesday as B.C. Hydro crews work to repair the outages.

The storm also toppled more trees in wind-battered Stanley Park, including one that fell on a woman.

The cleanup and replanting bill is expected to run into the millions of dollars.

In the Interior, the B.C. Highways Ministry issued a long list of travel advisories because of heavy snow, blowing snow and the threat of avalanches.

Parks Canada closed the Trans-Canada Highway between Revelstoke and Golden through the Selkirk Mountains after a large avalanche.

The slide sent debris two metres deep and 150 metres long across the highway, and left a 270-metre swath covering the CP Rail line.

The route was reopened early Wednesday but Highway 1 was closed east of Golden, B.C., to the Alberta border because of a high avalanche hazard.

It wasn't immediately clear if weather was a factor when a truck trying to board a B.C. Ferries vessel plunged into the water Tuesday night.

The ferry unexpectedly pulled away from the dock at Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island. The driver was able to scramble out of his pickup truck, which hung up on the loading ramp before plunging into the water below.

No one was injured.

The ferry had been bound for Gabriola Island, just a 10-minute sail away from Nanaimo.

The driver, a Gabriola resident, had been signalled by a deckhand to load, said B.C. Ferries president David Hahn. Then he was signalled to stop.

Then the deckhand shouted at the man to get out of the truck.

"He handled it very well," said Hahn, who spoke with the man. "He was shook up, as I know I would be. I've got to give him credit. He said, 'I'm just glad I didn't get wet.' "

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...257439-cp.html
Old 14-01-07, 19:25
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Unhappy Snow

We're finally getting hammered with snow today after evading/avoiding it so far this winter. It may be pretty, but I hate the bloody stuff. Going to have to dig my CANFOR arctic boots out of the closet to get to work tomorrow if this keeps up.
Old 14-01-07, 19:44
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Snow

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
We're finally getting hammered with snow today after evading/avoiding it so far this winter. It may be pretty, but I hate the bloody stuff. Going to have to dig my CANFOR arctic boots out of the closet to get to work tomorrow if this keeps up.
Just think of Corowa, Jif... 30c nice warm breeze...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 16-01-07, 16:40
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Ouch ... Stanley Park blown away

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir

DEREK ... if you watch the video, note the Seawall!!! (Where I used to ride my bike around with my daughter in a child seat. The story says the seawall runs 8.8 km) So sad to see the damage to all of the old trees ... and mind boggling to see the Seawall all caved in or broken up in many places ...

Karmen

I have two daughters, two brothers, a mom, and a ton of nieces and nephews that still live in Vancouver. Just about everyone of them has been affected by the storms. My youngest daughter was chased out of her basement suite when it flooded. She's currently staying at a friend's house. My middle daughter has been without power several times and for extended periods more than once this winter.
I hate to see Stanley Park getting nailed like this. So many of my memories revolve around the park, from family picnics at Lumberman's Arch in the '50s and '60's to making out with girls in the '70s. The regional Rugby championship was played at Brockton Oval and the All-Blacks from New Zealand used to play exhibition games there. In fact, the high schools played for the "New Zealand Shield", which was a trophy donated by the All-Blacks. Every Easter there was a free rock concert in the park. Yep, I have lots of great memories and probably lots I've forgotten (wink wink nudge nudge) from my times in the park ;>)