MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 13-03-12, 00:25
Bob

Default 1940 c15

does anyone know what can be used in place of the asbestos on the engine covers?
Old 13-03-12, 01:03

Default Good Question- What are the alternatives to Asbestos

Hi Bob

You ask a good question with many possible answers, the answer will also vary depending on what year CMP people are working on.

I will also be very interested to hear what people have used both for the asbestos panel areas as well as the sprayed on insulation of the dog house of the Pattern 13s.

The sprayed on insulation I was planning to use Lizard Skin Insulation, which is expensive running $100+ per gallon for coverage of about 25 sq.ft. per gallon if you believe their web site. Has anybody actually used this stuff and does it work?

Here is a search link to many of the previous MLU discussions on the words "engine and insulation" http://www.google.com/search?as_q=en...pe=&as_rights=
There are some ninety posts some of these deal with wire insulation but many are on the issue of what can be used to replace the asbestos panels or the need to have insulation on the engine dog house.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-03-12, 02:35
Bob

Default engine cover insulation

Thanks Phil for the info. I will see what is available here. My truck was all disassembled when I bought it so I'm not sure how much clearance there is in the engine compartment.
I think some of our club members are planning to go to Weare this summer. If so, I may get to meet you there & pick your brain a bit.
Bob.
Old 13-03-12, 12:23
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi Bob,
This worked for me, got it on ebay.
Attached Images

Old 13-03-12, 13:01
T-16, C15A

Default (+1) for Dynamat

Gents,

I have used the dynamat suff (it is black resin with a shiney foil outer surface) with much success on the inside of the doghouse on the C15a. It sticks to the meatal substrate well - do test fitting first. It cuts and forms easily, and rolls flat.

It really quiets things down, and keeps the heat from roasting your leg.

It is a bit heavy, so be prepared for extra fun when trying to get all of the clips and clamps inn place when putting the doghouse back in place.

Stewart
Old 13-03-12, 15:48
Bob

Default engine covers

thanks guys I'll look some up.
bob
Old 13-03-12, 17:32

Default Possibilities....... endless and limited...

A lot of stuff out there but few of the larger dealers will deal with us small folks.

First of all there is very little available that will look the part and when it does look similar to asbestos it is usually a spun glass design that all manufacturers will not guarentee for an engine bay that will be exposed to splashing water.... mud and oil spray...... The ones that are water proof or at least can tolerate water are usually rubberized and rely on a shinning foil surface ( with bold trademark) to reflect heat and dissipate liquids.

Asbestos had the best of both world..... cheap.... would absorbe some water but not enough to quickly deteriorate or loose its ability to withstand heat..... and made good food and nest building material for field mice...!!!

On the cab 11/12 the exhaust manifold is only 1 inch away from the sheet metal..... in an enclosed engine bay with the engine straining with heavy load it can get very very hot. I know driving in a parade will never get that hot. But that is where asbestos was very good..... it absorbed, soaked and dissipate heat very well.

There are a number of various companies selling material similar to Duramatt but htey seem to be the most popular and proven in the racing industry.

I had contemplated using a fabricated mat made of ceramic cloth..... we used it in the automobile glass industry in the 80s...... but it is now in the same family as asbestos.... ceramic fibres when the material is handled can be deadly.

Other Canadian suppliers suggested a 1/4 inch ( similar thickness to asbestos) mat made of a glass like material.... even got a sample 12 in square but not suitable for exposure to water as it will loose its ability to insulate when wet...... paper backing on both side.... not very durable... now could be modified with a foil glued on the external side...... then the distributor back out as my order woudl be too small..... also mat could not be folded for shipping.

I am tempted to use the Duramatt with an overspray of HI temp dull aluminum spray to cover the Trademark..... and will wire in place a 8x8 inch square asbestos cloth in the point nearest the exhaust manifold for greater protection.

Now there exists large coarse weave asbestos cloth used in fabricating mittens for artillery and for foundries.....but have not been able to find a source. Welding shops has only turned up expensive welding fire blankets with unsuitable fabric for our use.

A long shot is that the Provicne of Quebec still mines asbestos for third world countries..... would they have the soft asbestos panels available and can they be legally imported in Canada for personal use....

Phil had devised an interesting external quilted cover for the dog house of his C60.... both for heat and noise and seemd to work good althoguhit made his CMP look like a padded cell !!!!!!

....or learn to live with the heat....!!!!

Bob
Canada