MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-08-21, 09:25

Default One must die to allow another to live

Well, many of you know a bit about me and I have been a bit quiet for a while.

I made the conscious decision to try to finish our garage rather than work on vehicles as a better priority. Well its nearly done, These are the two best sides, the other two have details needing finishing so Mr Demille will take those sides later.

Anyway, as I get ready to start again on a Canadian Ferret, a lot of time has passed. My biggest concern is while we own two, will both live?

The current availability of spares is pushing me reluctantly but inevitably to the realisation that if I have spare assemblies like gearboxes and bevel boxes in the second vehicle maybe I should harvest those and preserve them as long term spares provisioning and support for the runner.

Honestly, it was not my plan at the time of purchase, but realistically the runner will have little value if it is not supportable with no spares around. Overseas shipping is more and more costly and the quality and quantity of spares is declining.

Just venting publicly and openly as to how being a grown up sucks at times.

We are becoming like the aviation collectors who have been resorting to buying whole planes as future spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashchurch garage 2021.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 31-08-21, 12:20
Bluebell

Smart looking building Robin.
A Ferret can die and still have a heart transplant.
Until that's required, leave the over complicated B.O.a Thing, in one lump.
What me biased? Na!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 31-08-21, 14:08
Terry Warner

Default Spares

I agree with Robin. We are do this hobby for preservation. Driving and demonstrating our restorations is the satisfaction. Sadly, sometimes a neglected or incomplete project has to be robbed so an almost ready job can be finalized. I support his quest, and eventually the donor vehicle will have given up its last (insert part number) for a good cause.

My brother was a wrench puller in the Air Force. He used the phrase robbing to describe the process of stealing working parts off a sidelined aircraft, called a hangar queen, to keep those on the flightline operating. It was a delicate balance hoping the supply system would catch up in time for the victim to be reassembled to fly to the contractor for overhaul or major work. If the crews took off too many parts, the work to get it flying would take much longer.

Unlike airplane parts provided by Her Majesty, for historic vehicles Robin is correct that the supply of replacements has been thinning out. Just look at Sherman tank rebuilders Balmoral Green ( https://balmoralgreen.com/les-blind-s/sherman-m4a1.html ). They are starting with rust encrusted hulks, and when the situation demands, installing modern bus engines. Running their tanks is more important than chasing down and acquiring the last (insert part number) in existence. Look at the lengths Wheatcroft and Littlefield go to put their treasures back together.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 31-08-21 at 14:09. Reason: better URL
Old 31-08-21, 20:44

Default Building

If I had the space, I'd love to have that building in my back yard! It would certainly solve my storage problem.
Old 01-09-21, 01:20

That is one very smart looking "Garage of Dreams" you have built Robin.
Old 01-09-21, 01:47
GM Fox I

There may be an inevitable third option. There will come a time, and for some vehicles it is already here, that there will not be enough spares or modern replacement equivalents to keep them running. Or to do so would so change their character that, despite running, they are not close enough to the original to be worth it. Or wait until gas is unavailable because we go electric.

So what about a non-running but authentic restoration? Not ideal for those (like me) that want to experience them as they were...noise, vibrations, smell and all...but perhaps something for collectors and museums to consider. Heck, many museums already do this or run their 'runners' so infrequently that it amounts to the same thing. A static, but restored in all other respects vehicle may be the place where 'donor' vehicles such as Robin's may find a future.
Old 01-09-21, 11:32
Bluebell

My approach was along the line that the second Ferret is more viable in one lump, until such time as cannibalism is the only option.
As we are merely custodians, when the next person falls in love with the thing, It is a far easier job, if they are the one to pull it apart.

On cannibalism, it was strictly a no no (ie, a chargeable offence) when I was a soldier, many years ago.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-09-21, 13:33
carrier mech

Cannibalism was a double edge sword. Yes, it gave you the part, albeit used, that you needed almost immediately, it meant you were doing the job twice. And a vehicle could very quickly be turned in to a monument when the cannibalization wasn't properly tracked and you eventually quit ordering the replacement parts.

When I went to KAF the first time, I ran the heavy vehicle section. I inherited a short lineup of deadheads and problem vehicles on top of the continual flow of new problems from the field. Within a few months we managed to solve some of the technical issues and had most of them back in service. However, we had one zoom boom that had been cannibalized for a few rotations. I put a guy on it, and within a few days he had the hydraulic lines either re-installed on new components or capped, and was able to start the engine. Ports and lines had been wide open to the weather for extended periods of time, which was extreme dust mixed in with occasional torrential rain. We had to do a few work-arounds, particularly with some of the steel fittings on the cylinders, but in the end the work was sound and it was finally returned to service. But I knew with the contamination, it was going to be a continual problem child to some degree.

3 years after the Canadians left KAF, I saw it show up in Shilo with a fresh paintjob and upgrades. Of course, on the trip to Shilo someone had stolen it's new LED taillamps. Off it went to it's new unit. I checked on her a year or two later.....yep, she was still a problem child. It takes a long time to remove the neglect and effects of the weather on open components.
Old 03-09-21, 23:22

I am faced with space and money and time issues. Nothing new, we all suffer the same.

I agree leaving together as one lump is a good idea, however as soon as it is immobile it will be relegated to the tall grass storage, right now its on the gravel yard storage.

Once I have a runner then likely that will be the real tipping point.

Thanks for the comments on the garage, its a storage building...... and has a gravel floor currently. Nearly finished sealing it, making air stop moving in except via windows is the aim. More on it as I get it complete.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62