MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-03-16, 01:44

Default Our Dodge Canada 8-cwt T212 (1 out of 3 left)

Due to that I presented it at our Facebook page, Iīd like to share it with you too. (www.facebook.com/militarymuseum.at We appreciate every like )
This Dodge Canada is a very remarkable car for us. First of all it is 1 of only 3 known left in the world. Secondly we know a lot of his war history. We have pictures who are featured in books where exactly this car came to Africa via ship. Then it was captured and used by the German Wehrmacht (also showed in pictures from that time). We noticed that, because of the bent front bumper. During the restoration we found the different colour layers and the Balkenkreuz on the hood as well:

More Pictures and the book documentation: KLICK

Last edited by Sascha G.; 27-03-16 at 02:05.
Old 27-03-16, 01:47

Click image for larger version

Name:	12719206_1698778453741257_2775026199901609907_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	80764 Click image for larger version

Name:	12045603_1698778457074590_2012633513315280231_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	80765 Click image for larger version

Name:	12671708_1698778647074571_4346756645943718680_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	80766

Last edited by Sascha G.; 05-04-16 at 02:11. Reason: attached pictures as a test
Old 27-03-16, 02:15
Terry Warner

You need to rename your garage, Little Canada!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 27-03-16, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
You need to rename your garage, Little Canada!
Haha that is true. I canīt name any private collection which has more different types of Canadian vehicles than ours. We are trying hard to complete it.
Old 27-03-16, 03:13
Dave Good

Nice collection
Old 28-03-16, 17:54
MLU Administrator

Hello Sascha,

Thanks for sharing and showing the collection.

One thing I would like to ask you is to attach pictures to your posts rather than using links to Photobucket - we have learned the hard way that one day sooner rather than later they will disappear making this thread worthless.

Here is how you learn how to post images - let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Hanno
Old 28-03-16, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Hello Sascha,

Thanks for sharing and showing the collection.

One thing I would like to ask you is to attach pictures to your posts rather than using links to Photobucket - we have learned the hard way that one day sooner rather than later they will disappear making this thread worthless.

Here is how you learn how to post images - let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Hanno
Hi Hanno!
I can understand your point of view, and know that problem from other boards. But it would take much more time for me to do that, and that's a little problem for me. But I promise these pictures won't disapear, because the pictures are either uploaded on the server of our homepage or on our Facebook-Page. (I don't think that Facebook ever will delete their datas )
I hope this is ok for you. And should the pictures really disapear I personally garantuee that I will upload them here again.
Old 29-03-16, 08:28
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha G. View Post
Hi Hanno!
I can understand your point of view, and know that problem from other boards. But it would take much more time for me to do that, and that's a little problem for me. But I promise these pictures won't disapear, because the pictures are either uploaded on the server of our homepage or on our Facebook-Page. (I don't think that Facebook ever will delete their datas )
I hope this is ok for you. And should the pictures really disapear I personally garantuee that I will upload them here again.
Hi Sascha,

It is not much work really, have you tried?

Another problem with your linked pictures is that they are too large, so they take up a lot of bandwidth and screen area for people using mobile devices.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 29-03-16, 08:45
MLU Administrator

Have you seen the thread Dodge D8A T212 info needed, among others?

H.
Old 29-03-16, 14:26

Quote:
Hi Sascha,

It is not much work really, have you tried?

Another problem with your linked pictures is that they are too large, so they take up a lot of bandwidth and screen area for people using mobile devices.

Thanks,
Hanno
I know the procedure (the first board about sport cars I used since 2001 had the same interface for years), not the upload is the problem. But to resize the pictures and all the stuff before takes to much time that I donīt have. Furthermore Iīm uploading all the pictures directly from my iPhone.
Iīm running parts of our daily business, I study, work in the museum on the cars and manage our new homepage plus the facebook page (daily new content). It is really hard for me to adjust the pictures for everywhere I want to share it. If the size is really not handily I only have the possibility that I just make links to our Facebook page (it is public, also people without account can see it) with the matching photo album. Maybe that would be better for the bandwith here?
The said sport cars board (over 100,000 user by now) changed the software several times since then, with the current version it would be no problem. You can uploade the pictures easily from you mobile device and the software adjusts everything automatically. Even a mobile version where everything is adjusted to the screen the user has. I know that this would be a lot of work, but it would make sense for every user. If you want I can make contact to the Administrator of the sport car board. Maybe they can give some tips.

Quote:
Have you seen the thread Dodge D8A T212 info needed, among others?

H.
No I didnīt yet! Thank you.
Old 29-03-16, 22:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha G. View Post
I know the procedure (the first board about sport cars I used since 2001 had the same interface for years), not the upload is the problem. But to resize the pictures and all the stuff before takes to much time that I donīt have. Furthermore Iīm uploading all the pictures directly from my iPhone.
Iīm running parts of our daily business, I study, work in the museum on the cars and manage our new homepage plus the facebook page (daily new content). It is really hard for me to adjust the pictures for everywhere I want to share it. If the size is really not handily I only have the possibility that I just make links to our Facebook page (it is public, also people without account can see it) with the matching photo album. Maybe that would be better for the bandwith here?
Sascha,

I am sure you are busy, as many of the members on here are. If you are posting the same info on different websites and forums, don't bother spending your time on MLU. If needed, the info can then be found elsewhere. If you want to participate in, and contribute to, profound historic military (vehicle) research, then you are more then welcome here. But for this purpose, we need to access the pictures on this forum and we have plenty of server space available for that purpose.

I have recently increased the maximum allowable size of attachments, plus the current software version re-sizes the pictures one uploads. As a test I tried this with three of your pictures posted earlier, and it went without a hitch.

Thanks for taking "playing by our rules" into consideration.

Hanno
Old 31-03-16, 00:09

Sacha,

That's a rare vehicle; lovely! I was just looking at the extra holes in the rear panel of the body and the extentions on the end of the chassis; all post-war fitting I presume(?).....two round holes in the panel...for modern lighting the rearmost chassis crossmember? Two extentions on the chassis....maybe used to have rubber bump stops as a stop for the rear panel (?).

Two boxes and spare wheel carrier are incorrect for a D8A though.

I would love to see this truck restored....a rare truck like this deserves the attention.

Alex
Old 05-04-16, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Sacha,

That's a rare vehicle; lovely! I was just looking at the extra holes in the rear panel of the body and the extentions on the end of the chassis; all post-war fitting I presume(?).....two round holes in the panel...for modern lighting the rearmost chassis crossmember? Two extentions on the chassis....maybe used to have rubber bump stops as a stop for the rear panel (?).

Two boxes and spare wheel carrier are incorrect for a D8A though.

I would love to see this truck restored....a rare truck like this deserves the attention.

Alex
Thank you very much Alex!
Yes you are right, the rear of the car isnīt like from factory. But these changes are made during the war by the German Wehrmacht. That is the reason why we didnīt built it back to original, it is part of itīs war history and makes the vehicle unique. As far as I know the car was never used after the war. It was found by my dad in Italy I think. But he didnīt had the time to pick it up. Luckily a friend of us brought the C8A to Austria for his collection. After 10 years of negotiations it was ours. Basically the restoration is finished except the interior. We have a lot of other peojects that are in much worse condition but we want to exhibit in the collection. That is the reason why we can't restore every vehicle in perfect condition. We are happy when it drives and when it is presentable.

Last edited by Sascha G.; 06-04-16 at 23:14.
Old 05-04-16, 01:00

Quote:
Sascha,

I am sure you are busy, as many of the members on here are. If you are posting the same info on different websites and forums, don't bother spending your time on MLU. If needed, the info can then be found elsewhere. If you want to participate in, and contribute to, profound historic military (vehicle) research, then you are more then welcome here. But for this purpose, we need to access the pictures on this forum and we have plenty of server space available for that purpose.

I have recently increased the maximum allowable size of attachments, plus the current software version re-sizes the pictures one uploads. As a test I tried this with three of your pictures posted earlier, and it went without a hitch.

Thanks for taking "playing by our rules" into consideration.

Hanno
I always want to play by the rules of the host. It was just a usability feedback, I think everyone would benefit.
Iīm posting the content on our Homepage and on our Facebook page. After that Iīm sharing the matching content to respective boards (the Canadian vehicles here for example). Due to that I was invited to join here to share our collection I thought that is a plausible approach?
Nevertheless if the size of the attachments is big enough for iPhone 6s resolution (in the description max width is 1250, iPhone 6 has 2048 => I thought it wonīt work) and the software re-sizes them automatically everything is fine. As far as I donīt have to re-size every picture myself. Is a direct upload from the mobile phone possible too?

Last edited by Sascha G.; 09-05-16 at 16:58.
Old 05-04-16, 01:11

Here are pictures from a book when this particular vehicle was in service of the Wehrmacht. And another picture made for a military magazine after the war.
Attached Thumbnails
12891705_1698778557074580_1575809509384310452_o.jpg   11164226_1698778580407911_4773899456581085884_o.jpg  

Last edited by Sascha G.; 09-05-16 at 16:59.