MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 17-08-18, 04:13

Default mlvw trailer leg M104 CND3 and other info needed

Hi guys I bought an old mlvw M104 CND3 trailer and its missing the rear trailer leg i doubt i would ever find one for sale so i thought i would make one. Im looking for pictures of what the leg looks like to help make it as authentic as possible. It also did not come with a intervehical wiring connector there is just a screw on wireing plug on the frame where a plug would screw into and the other end would connect to the mlvw maybe some one would know if this is some kind of standered plug that could be found. one last thing it came with the old firestone tires on split rims would the newer mlvw wheels fit on the hubs without modification if i could find any?

Thanks guys
Old 17-08-18, 05:29
carrier mech

The plug for the inter-vehicle cable is an amphenol plug. They come in a large variety of pins, sizes and configurations. I'll check an intervehicle cable and see if I can get you the part number from the plug, but it can be figured out from the part number on the plug you have.

Alternatively, you can cut the wires before the plug and splice them to any normal inter-vehicle cable of appropriate length. The numbers should be on the wires and will quickly identify where each wire goes to.

The newer bolt together rims will go straight accross onto the trailer. The only exception was the kitchen trailers back in the day. We had to replace all the hubs due to the different offset of the newer rims. But before you change over to the radials and those bolt together rims, be aware that they are very problematic, frequently leaking at the O ring. Sometimes this is due to corrosion in the o ring channel, other times it is due to the bolts not being torqued. One fix attempt that the guys have tried is using the larger O rings form the HLVW to try and get the rims to seal.

Drive by any compound of MLVWs and see how many are sitting on flat tires.

I had the new style tires on my own MLVW, but eventually got tired of fixing the flats, so I managed to get together a full set of the old split rims and tube type bias ply tires. Never had a flat since.

Wrt the stabilzer leg, I'll get you a photo of one next week when I am back at work.
Old 17-08-18, 15:19
carrier mech

Stuart: do you have any stock numbers on them?
Old 18-08-18, 02:02

Default M104CDN3 Trailer Leg

This image may help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	127-23 M104CDN3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	101606
Old 18-08-18, 06:05

If it is a leg for the trailer would you be willing to sell it.? Also since gma went out of business any idea where I could get a new or newer cover for it. The one I have looks like Swiss cheese and is hard and crusty is there any way of reviving the material? Im also in need of some of the curly tie downs to hold the tarp I have 3 broken
Old 18-08-18, 15:25
carrier mech

I have always found that armourall protectant will revive the tarp. As to the tarp loops on the body, they are identical to the M35 and a host of others, and can be found on ebay as well as various suppliers. Search ebay or google for the part number of 7064246.

Old 22-08-18, 00:32

Hi Rob I've seen some of the trailers with a single large front landing leg and some with smaller dual wheels do you know if this was a retrofit for the trailers going to the dual wheel ?
Mine has the larger single wheel
Old 22-08-18, 01:08
carrier mech

There were two purchases of the 1-1/2 ton trailers in support of the MLVW program. I can't remember if both were manufactured by DEW, but it seems to me the front landing leg differed by which contract the trailer was provided on.
Old 22-08-18, 01:56

Default M104 Trailer

I believe the dual dolly wheel version is a M104CDN4.
Old 22-08-18, 02:10
Brian Asbury

Tyson, PM sent regarding an NOS rear trailer leg. .. Brian
Old 22-08-18, 14:53
carrier mech

The first contract with the Fred Flinstone wheel was made by Manac. The second contract with the dual wheels was made by DEW engineering. The DEW chassis were, ad Ed has mentioned, the M104CDN4 model.

Photo of the landing leg from the part manual attached.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01313.jpg  
Old 22-08-18, 15:08
carrier mech

Back to your original questions: the plug that will attach to the trailer is an amphenol plug number 60-4266-23P. (Also listed as a 60-04266-23P) The trailer plug mounted on the frame is an amphenol 60-42022-23S.
Old 22-08-18, 16:52

Any idea of what year the manac trailers came out there isint a year anywhere on it it does have the old Firestone tires on it so I'm thinking some where early 80's is there any where to find a manual on it?
Old 22-08-18, 17:50
carrier mech

All of the trailers (and the MLVWs for that matter) came with the old split rims and goodyear tires. In the early 2000s, some of the tires out east started blowing apart due to corrosion, so it was a fleet-wide changeover in the end to the new style rims and tires. At one point, everything was grounded until the rims and tires got changed.

The Manacs should be 1983/84 period if I recall, while the kitchen trailers were 1985. The DEW trailers were in the latter half of that decade I think. A check of CFRs will tell the years of acceptance.

There is a manual: C30846000/MS000. It is available electronically to DND users.
Old 08-09-18, 01:03
aut viam inveniam aut fac

out of curiousty, the MSVW, and LSVW trailers appear to be about the same size ..are they?

I guess you know of my saga of trying to buy "flexible rope" ie the rubber tarp cord.. would that be the same size for both trailers (ie 7mm) ?

(Thanks to UPS and failure to communicate..Im out about $90 and no cord)

Iltis trailer cord is a bit thicker (8mm??) and wouldn't fit.
Old 08-09-18, 03:26

Default Manac M101 and DEW Trailers

The Manac M101 trailers date from 1981 and yes the DEW trailers are from the last half of the decade. DEW manufactured M104CDN4s in 1987, 1988 and 1989 although they are considered to all be 1987. As Rob stated the M102CDN3 Modified Kitchen Trailers (another Manac product) date from 1985.
Old 08-09-18, 03:37
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post
out of curiousty, the MSVW, and LSVW trailers appear to be about the same size ..are they?
Nope. The 1.5 ton trailers are longer and wider. The LSVW trailers are nearly identical in size to the old M101 3/2 ton trialers. When we were getting rid of the 3/4 ton trailers, I saved a couple of the security cages and we moved them onto the new LSVW trailers....perfect fit and the same tarpaulin.
Old 08-09-18, 03:54
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Does the CF supply chain still get new tarps? (for the SMP-lsvw trailers)
If so where or who is mfg?
Same for the "flexible rope" (the rubber cord)
Old 08-09-18, 06:29
carrier mech

The CF would still get tarps. For years they were from GMA, but it has now wound down. A half dozen other companies have moved in to replace them. Armtech and Breton are just a couple.

Perhaps for your cord you should try again along with some better communication.
Old 23-09-18, 22:00

Tyson, Have you managed to sort out your missing trailer leg? Amongst some spares for an M532 Laundry trailer that I have I've got a couple of these legs. They look very similar to the one that you're missing but the method of securing when retracted may be different. PM me if you're still looking.
Attached Thumbnails
m532 leg.jpg