MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-12-03, 15:56
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default WW2 Ingersol Rand Compressor Trailer - Australian

This may not be in the appropriate list sub heading , but , it is military and sort of soft skin .

The Australian readers may be of some assistance . I have a WW2 ex army Ingersoll Rand 100CFM compressor , quite a few of these were importred into Aust. under Lend Lease . The single axle trailer is Australian made , the compressor and engine were of US origin , the whole thing was assembled here . The wheels are the standard 18 " Australian trailer wheels seen on semi trailers and other equipment .

Does anyone know of a derelect example I can rat for parts ? Post WW2, many of these were used by Govt. depts such as the Victorian Railways and Board of Works .

The engine is a Waukesha XAH 186 ci side valve 4 cyl

BTW if you want to get back at your neighbours for holding noisy late night parties , this compressor is the ideal tool . I would think around 5am would be a good time to crank it over . " Noise ? What noise you say . I only use it for blowing my car tyres up " .

Thanks , Mike

Name:  compressor d.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  31.5 KB

Another view with side covers fitted . The compressor is a 3 cyl 2 stage job .
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor c.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	870
Old 07-12-03, 22:09
Member since 1998

Default Compressor

I know of a few examples over here, one sitting in a scrap yard but missing the tanks. Which bits do you need?
Old 08-12-03, 05:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Differences

In the first photo, the hubs look like CMP or Marmon_Herrington type hubs, but the second photo they look quite different with a tie down or winching lug on the cap?
Old 08-12-03, 09:14
Pops

Default hubs

The hub in the first photo looks the same as the ones on the semitralier we have. I am hoping dear old santa brings me a digital camera so I will be able to post photoes alot easier and quicker.

Max
Old 08-12-03, 16:02
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Reply

Hi Gordon ,

Yes , we have same problems here with 18 " tyres . They were very common at one point , as many of the 1940 - 41 MCP Fords and Chevs used by the army here used 18" split wheels . The 30 cwt class used 9.00 - 18's , the 3 ton class used 10.50-18's . These sizes are long out of production . Dukw owners here use the gamma goat tyres I think , but supply is very unreliable . A 1940 3 ton Ford owner near me uses old DUKW tyres on his truck , very cracked . The owner is a bit cracked too .

I have been told of a current Japanese brand of 7.50 - 18" tyres with a military tread . What tyres are on that NZ No.3 gun tractor Tony Smith posted ? they look like new tyres and they could be the Jap ones .

Wayne , thanks . For the compressor I need a manifold for the Waukesha engine , its cast in one piece . I also need the small casting that holds 4 of the valve lifters , It bolts to the main block, there are two of these normally fitted and one is missing . I may locate the bits over here so, stand by and I will let you know . I have manuals for the engine and compressor if anyone needs a copy .

As MAX pointed out, the hubs are the same as the Aust. semi trailer axle . I dont know why the second pic has different hubs . These compressors were trailered behind CMP's and used by the engineers in New Guinea .

The pic was taken in New Guinea . AWM pic > looks like a Jupiter GMH fire pump as well in the pic .

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
077406-new.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 08-12-03 at 16:08.
Old 10-12-03, 12:43
MLU Administrator

Default 18" tyres

I have split this thread, as the subject of 18" tyres apparently is interesting enough to justify it's own thread.
Old 07-05-11, 00:59
RIP

Default Ingersol Rand Compressor Trailer

Hi all - had a guy bob up (no pun intended) enquiring about the availability of a workshop/service manual for one of these. He has the compressor mounted on a trailer with 7.50x16 bar tread tyres. There is a serial number GR100. The motor looks to be an early type Holden motor with an engine number of 136. He reckons it is ex. military as it is painted in military green.

any information or access to manuals would be good.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 08-05-11, 01:31

Default I/Rand Comp Trailer

Bob, a picture is worth a thousand words. However, I am almost certain Defence would not have used a holden motor. If anything these would have been possibly Wisconsin or Tecumseh powered. If it's a separate item from the power plant, chances are it may heve been powered by 10, 15 or even 20 KVA VW gen set.
All three services used Ingersoll Rand (as well as other manufacturers) compressors. In fact the IR is still taught as a base point for non-fired pressure vessels.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 08-05-11, 02:40
RIP

Default Re. IR Comp Trailer

Hi Ian - unfortunately the owner is a computer illiterate farmer. I am trying to convince him to send me some images. The motor is on the trailer. I did read somewhere in my research that some of these went to Vietnam with Holden motors. The owner is in Campsie, NSW and I have contact details. Maybe a close by MLUer can visit with a camera.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 08-05-11, 13:40
Phil

Well yes the Australian Army did infact have Holden powered compressors. They were classifiesd as 180 cfm compressor and was of such size that it could be towed by a Landrover where as the more common 250 cfm IR compressor needed to be towed by a truck.

I personaly used one on a construction task at Larakea Bks in 1982 and have seen them over the years at various other locations.

They could only power 1 heavy breaker at any one time.

I will try and see if i can find a picture some where to post.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 12-05-11, 10:15
Phil

Well still looking for a photo of it... I know i've seen it some where???

But I know they were well and truely gone out of the system by 1994 as there is no listing for it in the EMEIs index and they were post 1965 as no listing in an engineers book I have.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...