MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 18-09-06, 03:56

Default Sherbrooke Fusiliers at St. Andre sur Orne July 20-22, 1944

Hello all!

I am wondering if anybody would have any information on the actions of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers at St. Andre sur Orne from July 20-22, 1944. I am very interested in these battles and have some information but could always use more. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 24-09-06, 15:05

Check your PM.
Old 24-09-06, 19:56

Default Canadians on the Orne

Hi,
This is a long shot re the above, but my father who passed away some years back was a petty officer on (I think) LCT 1053.
He never spoke much about his service, and I know he was not at D-Day but with the follow up units a week or so later, the only thing he ever mentioned was his LCT taking Canadian (tanks) up the Orne canal some time after D-Day.
I do know from my mother that around this time he had a field promotion from PO to Sub Lt.
I never had the opportunity to find out any more, other than his recollection of a tank firing through a house to suppress sniper fire.

If anybody can help to flesh things out or know of other channels that might throw some light on this, please pass them on.

Thanks.
George Moore (fathers name also George W N Moore).
Old 26-09-06, 10:47

Hello John!

I sent a reply to your PM!

Hello George!

That is very interesting! I will have to check and see if I can find any actions where Canadian tanks were transported by LCT up the Orne Canal.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 28-09-06, 03:26

Default some sources

Jon,

From the Sherbrooke Fusiliers microfilm T-12758, the following Appendices for July were very informative;
Appx A - REPORT BY "A" SQN 27 CDN ARMD REGT (SFR) ON OP "ATLANTIC" 19 JUL - 23 JUL 44
Appx B - REPORT BY "B" SQN 27 CDN ARMD REGT (SFR) ON OP "ATLANTIC" 19 JUL - 23 JUL 44
Appx C - REPORT BY "C" SQUADRON 27 CDN ARMD REGT (SFR) ON OP ATLANTIC 18 JUL - 23 JUL 44
Appx C1 - LIST OF TANKS KNOCKED OUT
Appx C2 - LESSONS - CO-OP INF; A/TK; AND ARTY
Appx C3 - INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS OF FOREGOING ACTION
Appx D - REPORT FROM "A" AND "B" ECHS
Appx E - SUMMARY OF STATISTICAL AND DETAILED INFM COMPLIED FROM REPORTS OF INDIVIDUAL TANK CREW COMMANDERS - 19 JUL TO 24 JUL 44

Also don't forget 2 Cdn Armd Bde July Operations Log on microfilm T-10652 and 6 Cdn Inf Bde July Operations Log on microfilm T-12000. Both of these are also very useful.

Tony Viste
Old 28-09-06, 08:25

Hello Tony!

Thank you for this information! This lets me know where to look to find more details, I will have to see if I can find these, that Microfilm looks very interesting! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 28-09-06, 21:54

Default Microfilms

Hi to all...

Slightly off thread but v interested in all you lucky Canadians who seem to be able to access your National Archives through your library service. Is this correct ?

If so, is there any ability for us in the UK to have the same access through Canada House or other Canadian establishments ?

The reason I ask is that although Canadian Archives are available in our own National Archives, they have none of the attachments or annexes. I am particularly interested in any annexes for the armoured regiments that list vehicles held against strength with their serial numbers. Has anyone seen such lists or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Bye for now

Roddy