MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your age group?
< 20 3 1.71%
20 - 30 9 5.14%
31 - 40 20 11.43%
41 - 50 46 26.29%
51 - 60 50 28.57%
61 - 70 34 19.43%
> 70 13 7.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-03-18, 22:45
MLU Administrator

Hello Colin, good point so I made this thread stick to the top of the page.

Hanno
Old 07-03-19, 06:58

I'm currently not even 20, very interested in WWII vehicles and related topics. I have found personally it is very hard to get any info on these topics, especially relating to local clubs/vehicles for sale. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that projects are more valuable than completed restorations. I'm not looking for a restoration, I'm just looking for a WWII jeep that's ready (or nearly ready) to go...

Also the local military vehicle club has a horribly outdated website and I don't know how to contact them to get into the group and talk. I do know that at the Abbotsford Agrifair there was VEMRA and some other local collectors, but I didn't go because I was in Normandy at the time Anyone able to help me here?
Old 07-03-19, 13:02

Kyler.

You might want to consider joining the MVPA. Many of the MLU Members here belong and like us it is international in scope. You will be able to find local members of the MVPA in your area you can connect with and from those initial contacts discover just how widespread and interwoven the OD Disease really is.

On the dark side, there is no Recovery Room for all these patients!

David
Old 08-03-19, 10:10
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler Hoffman View Post
Also the local military vehicle club has a horribly outdated website and I don't know how to contact them to get into the group and talk. Anyone able to help me here?
There's contact info on their facebook page.
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/wcmvhs...=page_internal

I agree their website is all but useless but I think they still meet in Coquitlam. At least they did when I was a member.
Old 08-03-19, 15:59

This site, the G503 forum and the G503 Facebook group are where it's at these days! I'm a bit older then you but still skew younger then many in the hobby. I find some of the local club sites and the MVPA to be infuriatingly unresponsive to emails or using the web contact forms provided. Good luck in your quest for a Jeep.

Matt
Old 09-03-19, 16:33

Default Western Command

Yes our website is out of date but even worse google will give you ancient versions from long ago and different meeting place. Contact me through MLU. Young guys are easily trained to drive CMP’s.
Old 06-05-19, 21:32
MLU Administrator

There is hope - see this national Dutch TV item about young vehicle collectors.

Go to https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/item/...ag-06-05-2019/ and scroll to 21:15 min. to see what one of them is restoring. Well done, Sanne and Mark Ropke!

Click image for larger version

Name:	aedcbac7eb11fe6e80e6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	107253 Click image for larger version

Name:	50750a41e154e1bc46e5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	107254

Source: https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/item/...igen-uit-woii/
Old 08-05-19, 03:04
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hanno, that is super! Understandably, in the Nederlands, youth are educated in history and remembrance. It is a shame that the same does not seem to follow here in North America, where today's youth is more focused on the Now and of themselves with little to no care or thought of the past.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 08-05-19, 03:27
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
... here in North America, where today's youth is more focused on the Now and of themselves with little to no care or thought of the past.

Not entirely true. They have video games on the subject. Hopefully, once they move out f their mother's basements, they will graduate to the 1:1 scale examples. After all, our estates will need to sell them to somebody.
Old 01-09-19, 19:20

Very interesting read on this topic.
Old 15-02-23, 15:48

One large problem that is happening right now is the trend of the Governments restricting and banning Military Vehicles from being registered and used on the road. Why would someone invest time and money in something that they will not be allowed to use. Unless we see more pushback against and revercial of this trend it will have a huge impact on the hobby.
Old 15-02-23, 16:19

Default Government Control on Collecting

If you think vehicle collectors have it bad in Canada, have a look at the firearms guys; they are really getting a rough time from the Government. It is basically the same tactics, government overwatch with a lot of misinformation fed to the public - all under the broadbrush name of 'safety'.
Old 15-02-23, 18:51
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
If you think vehicle collectors have it bad in Canada, have a look at the firearms guys; they are really getting a rough time from the Government. It is basically the same tactics, government overwatch with a lot of misinformation fed to the public - all under the broadbrush name of 'safety'.
The average citizen spoon-fed what they need to know by the government inevitably asks why anybody needs to own a 'tank' or an antique, historic firearm or whatever. And if you can't satisfy them as to your need because it really isn't a need, it's a harmless, beneficial pursuit you want. But of course in a free and democratic society it is all based on what you 'need' and no more, right???
Old 16-08-23, 15:23

My Son is 11, my Nephew is 15. Both are very much into Re-enactment and MV's.

Both have built up some wonderful original (and reproduction) uniforms and kits and both are very keen to come with us and help us with our wartime trucks (My Commer and my Brothers GMC).

But, both boys already acknowledge that they wont be able to afford vehicles like ours in the future, not just the cost of buying them but also restoring, maintaining, running, insuring etc.

So, in saying that, they both know that the vehicles we have now and that they help us restore will one day be their responsibility, the curatorship will be handed down to them.

That is basically how I see our hobby moving forward, handing down the knowledge and getting these kids in at ground level on a restoration so they know everything about a project and they learn to take pride in the vehicles and the work they put into it.