MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-06-06, 00:55
RIP

Default Brown Leather Purse sporran

Yes,I know,this request should be on the "For Sale or Trade " forum.But I'm desperate and I figure this part "Seargent's Mess " portion is faster.Now,I know one of you gentlemen out there,here in Canada,has one attracting dust,even without the leather belt.Sooo,I'm willing to trade a Drum Major's mace for the sporran.So,dig threw your junk ,you CMP afficienados.If I don't get aa quick response I'll have

get on your case
Old 14-06-06, 03:23
M38A1 CDN3

Garry:

Got one with the Galley of Lorne affixed.

Will lend it to you if you attend CC5!
Old 14-06-06, 05:10
48th Highlander

Default brown leather purse sporran

Hi Gary, if John will not be kind hearted and present you with his sporran as a loyal MSL'er really should
here is a photo to let you know there has to be someone out there with a kind heart who will come to your needs.
Norm
Attached Thumbnails
qualifying course.jpg  
Old 14-06-06, 06:03
M38A1 CDN3

OK, Norm...

Where about in this pic are your pair of blue puttees?
Old 14-06-06, 06:17
48th Highlander

Well Jon...I am that cute debonair chap in the second row directly to the left of the tallest chap in the front row. Aint I cute
Old 14-06-06, 06:24
M38A1 CDN3

Yeah, Norm...Cute and skinny! (Weren't we all at one time?)

That building doesn't look like University Armouries...where was it?
Old 14-06-06, 17:38
RIP

Default Thanks Jon and Norm

I'm doing an evening gig so I guess I'll go with my white Argyll & Sutherland white purse sporran.Galley of Lorne sporran !! Very rare here in Canada.Isn't it a sept of MacLaren clan or vice versa??I was contemplating my dress horsehair sporran,but I don't think anyone will notice the indiscrepancy.By the way Norm,great photo.Battledress and kilt and green lovat hose.Reminds me of a friend who was 2nd Batallion Black Watch when he came home on leave many moons ago when they were in Gagetown,you know the place-Agent Orange country now !!
Old 14-06-06, 20:00
48th Highlander

Jon:
The building behind the group was across the way from the University Ave. Armories. At the corner of Queen and University. It has been many years since the photo was taken but I believe it was the Osgoode Hall .
Old 14-06-06, 20:15
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: brown leather purse sporran

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
The building behind the group was across the way from the University Ave. Armories. At the corner of Queen and University. It has been many years since the photo was taken but I believe it was the Osgoode Hall .
Hi Norm;

I knew that I had seen that building in downtown Toronto before, I just couldn't place it. If I'm not mistaken, it is on the west side of University Ave, just slightly north of the rear of Osgoode Hall (which is on the east side of University).

Cheers
Old 14-06-06, 21:40
RIP

Speaking of University Ave., I just spent the weekend at the Royal Canadian Military Institute. A room there is cheaper than any downtown hotel ($95 incl all taxes, etc..) and the ambience is much nicer.
Old 14-06-06, 22:35
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
Speaking of University Ave., I just spent the weekend at the Royal Canadian Military Institute. A room there is cheaper than any downtown hotel ($95 incl all taxes, etc..) and the ambience is much nicer.
If I had known you were going to be in TO last weekend, I would have come up from London to see you. At one time, I lived on the street behind the Royal Canadian Military Institute, St. Patrick, across from 52 Division's rear parking lot.

Oh well, maybe next time .............
Old 15-06-06, 00:42

Hi Norm
Wow! Nice picture.

I just bought a print from an "Antique" store here in Moncton and it's the same unit infront of the same building but they're all Offrs and it was taken in May 1938. Popular backdrop, I'd say. No doubt convienient too!! There are some nice medals being worn (x5 Military Crosses, at least) and that is what drew me to it.

Too big for my scanner but here's the left half!!

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
48th 1.jpg  
Old 15-06-06, 06:43
48th Highlander

Darrell:
Thanks for sharing this photo with me, I recognise quite a few of these officers. As you may not know the ones with medals are veterans from the first world war. Many of them carried over into WW2. My wife is the computer guru in our family she said if you send me the other half she will put them together. She is pretty good at that and then you could post it on MLU as one. I went overseas in 1939 with many of these officers. This was truly a historical find for me especially when I can still recall many of their names. Thanks again. Norm
Old 15-06-06, 18:43

Hi Norm

Happy to give you some fond memories. I know a few "48's" from the current Regt that deployed to Bosnia with us in 2003/4 and am always impressed with their profesionalism. There was this female Master Corporal of Russian origin.........................Mmmmm, what a soldier!!

I'm currently at work so if you can wait a few more hours, I'll post the other half when I get home. I'm thinking I did crop a re-size the halfs into different sizes so I'll re-do the Scans when I get home. That will probably make your wife's task a bit easier.

If you care to PM me an email address, I can send it direct to you.

regards
Darrell
Old 15-06-06, 20:04
RIP

Default Unit Photos !!

This thread got me to thinking,so I've just dug out four unit photos of the RCASC when dad came down from Kingston Ontario to join the army.I think I'll need Mark Tonner and our local guru Mr.McGillvary to look into their cryatal balls'.
1)This one is interesting as their's two Ford C60's not CMP's with tarps, in the background and a white Ford truck with what looks like two water cannons pointing out over the cab ??Firetruck??
HQ-RCASC Quebec Command and 4 Coy RCASC-Montreal Quebec-October 16,1948
2)This long photo is taken behind Montreal City Hall with scaffolding over the entire Craig Street Armourary in the background and the boys are loaded for bear
Caption:1st Corps Troops
Ammunition Company,
Royal Canadian Service Corps
Canadian Active Service Force Montreal-Que. Jan. 20th,1940
I think this was their embarkation photo to the UK as I know my uncles from 1 RCHA left in December and dad left in January.There's got to be over 500 guys in this photo,
3)This one they are wearing gas mask kits on their chest,again loaded for bear in the snow in front of a building with imposing arched doors here in Montreal and they're standing at attention with Lee Enfield SMLE's I guess from WW1
Caption: D Section
RCASC. Corps Troops Amn Company 26/1/40 C.A.S.F.
4)This is a group photo in front of an armoury.They are wearing forage cap,again there has to be 500 of them The tiers for this photo are seven high.They're wearing a cross belt from the right shoulder across the chest disappearing to the lower hip on the left side.Gas masks ?? .the only caption on this photo in the right bottom corner says "Gwyer Gibbs Pirbright
38435 C or G,can't make out the letter
Old 16-06-06, 02:40

Hi Norm

Please find below two halfs of the 48th Offrs in '38.

Both are equal size so the mate up should be a bit easier.

If you'd care to name the ones you know, I'd be much oblidged and add them to my database.

Thank you.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
48s left.jpg  
Old 16-06-06, 02:41

Hi Norm

And the other half. There is a fair bit of overlap.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
48s right.jpg